• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    Hi. I took the LTC class yesterday and pass the written test. At the last minute the instructor decided that in order to do the shooting test all participants needed to take a class of basic hand gun. I already paid $ 90 for the LTC and don't want to pay another $150 for a class.

Can anyone recommend a inexpensive place in can get the shooting portion .

I am located in Austin area.

Thanks.
    Military Camp

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Gotta be more to this story. Was someone (or more than one) handling their gun in an unsafe manner, or displaying a complete lack of understanding of how to load and fire their weapons?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I took my class, the instructor had us come up one by one, and demonstrate the ability to operate our handguns.
    This was before the written part, I think.
    I can't remember.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    At the last minute the instructor decided that in order to do the shooting test all participants needed to take a class of basic hand gun.
    Assuming the class was initially and originally advertised as a complete “turn key” course / path to a Texas LTC (like most are), that strikes me as being unethical at a minimum. Kind of a “bate and switch” sorta thing. Agree with GoPappy, are we getting the full story, here?

And yeah, interesting 1st post! Welcome to the forum. We have an “introduction” thread if you’re so inclined.

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    Gotta be more to this story. Was someone (or more than one) handling their gun in an unsafe manner, or displaying a complete lack of understanding of how to load and fire their weapons?

Safety was not the issue. He informed that in the classroom. We were not at the range at the moment he changed the rules. According to him in the previous classes he had to deal with a lot people with no shooting experience and from now on if you don't have experience with hand gun you need a basic class.

I was honest with him. I have no experience with hand guns only revolvers but he told me that they only do the test with hand gun and because lack of experience I need a basic class.

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    Welcome.
    Did you inform instructor that you did not feel the need for a basic class?
    Yes I told him. But I don't have experience with hand guns only revolvers. And because the test is with hand guns and I have never use one I need the class.

What really bother me is that at the range there was this lady ( you can tell zero experience) that struggle all the time and he allowed her to do the test.

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    When I took my class, the instructor had us come up one by one, and demonstrate the ability to operate our handguns.
    I can't remember.
    That is exactly what I need. I have experience with revolvers but not hand guns . I just need a couple of minutes to learn how to load th
    I can't remember.
    That is exactly what I needed. Just a couple of minutes to learn how to load the mags and point and shoot with a hand gun.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is exactly what I needed. Just a couple of minutes to learn how to load the mags and point and shoot with a hand gun.

Honestly you should have learned to do this before you took the class.

You don't need a class though. You need a range buddy to show you how to operate your firearm.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, to be fair, it's not his job to teach you how to actually operate, load, etc.
    He could have done that, but he is not responsible for basic handgun operations.
    And, you should know how, prior to taking an LTC course.
    I hope you got your money back.

ETA: Ninja'd.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Safety was not the issue. He informed that in the classroom. We were not at the range at the moment he changed the rules. According to him in the previous classes he had to deal with a lot people with no shooting experience and from now on if you don't have experience with hand gun you need a basic class.

I was honest with him. I have no experience with hand guns only revolvers but he told me that they only do the test with hand gun and because lack of experience I need a basic class.
    1st off, welcome
    2nd, revolvers and SA pistols are both handguns.

Unfortunately you got a d*** instructor, I think you should name him here for the benefit of others and report him to DPS. It is his responsibility to determine an individuals proficiency in the LTC setting. Tell him you want to take the shooting test as required by law and what you've already paid for.

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    Honestly you should have learned to do this before you took the class.

You don't need a class though. You need a range buddy to show you how to operate your firearm.
    I understand but I was informed about that "rule" the day of the class. On previous classes he allowed people shoot regardless of hand gun experience.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    Does anyone see a problem with a bunch of people running around the streets with guns and no training? Yes the criminals are doing just that, but law abiding citizens need to be much better than that. By the way a revolver IS also a handgun.

Top Bottom