• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spankyttt

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2020
    Montgomery County
    At a young age I was told "theres your story and then theres their story and the truth is somewhere in the middle"... We've heard one side of this story.

Basically, I could give two shits where your from or where you've been but I DO care that you can safely operate a firearm.... Sorry, but you should, at the VERY LEAST be required to safely operate your firearm BEFORE taking a LTC class.

When I took my LTC we started off at the range. Instructor stated "if your unable to pass the shooting portion there was no need to proceed with the remainder of the class".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    At a young age I was told "theres your story and then theres their story and the truth is somewhere in the middle"... We've heard one side of this story.

Basically, I could give two shits where your from or where you've been but I DO care that you can safely operate a firearm.... Sorry, but you should, at the VERY LEAST be required to safely operate your firearm BEFORE taking a LTC class.

When I took my LTC we started off at the range. Instructor stated "if your unable to pass the shooting portion there was no need to proceed with the remainder of the class".

There were some folks in my LTC class who failed the morning shooting portion of the class. The instructor allowed them to take the classroom portion. When the class was over he stayed late into the day and worked those people thru the shooting phase.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There were some folks in my LTC class who failed the morning shooting portion of the class. The instructor allowed them to take the classroom portion. When the class was over he stayed late into the day and worked those people thru the shooting phase.

Your instructor was obviously a good guy.
    He had no obligation to do that except for that reason.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for your words. I know it's the right thing to do. I will share the name with you. Not today but I promise I will. Just allow me to process the whole issue thanks again
    The reason everyone is so determined to get his name is because he's committing fraud and will continue to do so unless stopped. It's not just you that is going to get burned by this guy. It's everyone who is unfortunate enough to cross his path. He will victimize person after person, some of who might not be able to afford his basic class or an alternative class. They'll just be stuck in a bad situation. I can understand not wanting to cause trouble, but this is one of those situations where it's really the right thing to do. I really hope you do tell us his name so that the proper authorities can be notified.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spankyttt

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Fortunately, for all of us, there are some folk that go above and beyond.

I believe, MOST people associated with firearms are more than willing to assist, instruct or share their own knowledge if asked (I e. Freind or at range).

All I'm saying is the day you take your LTC is probably not the best day to figure out how a firearm operates..

Seven7VII

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2020
    Williamson County
    Hey buddy, you've gotten some great suggestions so far. Mine would be to just go Shoot Point Blank in your home city and get 'er done. After reading your story, I guarantee you'd be comfortable there.
    And yes, please name this guy, if not for any other reason than to let other folks know who not to do business with. This dude is trying to extort people.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    My LTC class had the shooting segment first thing. Wasn't expecting that, but passed easily, where others had trouble. They were allowed to do the written section and test, but had to reschedule the shooting portion later on.
    Also, I BELIEVE they have a disclaimer on the class course description saying you need the basic handgun course before taking the LTC for this exact reason. They expect you to be able to operate a firearm safely and put 50 rounds through it to pass the shooting section before signing up, which, I'd think you'd want to do so anyway, but everyone is different I know.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out. And whatever you shoot, revolver or semi-pistol, get some range time!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Not sure why, but I really feel the need to add my 2 cents. I would walk back into the place with my revolver and demand to take the shooting portion. If he refused I would get on the phone with DPS while I was there in front of him and let them deal with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    My LTC class had the shooting segment first thing. Wasn't expecting that, but passed easily, where others had trouble. They were allowed to do the written section and test, but had to reschedule the shooting portion later on.
    Also, I BELIEVE they have a disclaimer on the class course description saying you need the basic handgun course before taking the LTC for this exact reason. They expect you to be able to operate a firearm safely and put 50 rounds through it to pass the shooting section before signing up, which, I'd think you'd want to do so anyway, but everyone is different I know.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out. And whatever you shoot, revolver or semi-pistol, get some range time!

mine did the shooting part first too...i wonder if that was to weed people out who had never handled their firearms before

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    It is so you don't tie up the range all day. Get that out of the way and then the range can be turned over to the public.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I was amazed at a couple of the people in my class. They definitely needed some help! Not sure if instructor passed them or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I had two in my class long ago that had trouble even hitting the paper. The instructor helped one and he asked me to help the other, once he saw my target. They both passed eventually and did much better. I told my student to keep going to the range and practice. The gun doesn't do any good if you can't hit anything.

RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    Reading this thread I am both appalled and equally empathetic.

The TX LTC Proficiency exam is exactly that. The LTC course is neither designed nor intended to be where one learns to handle their handgun proficiently. That’s a skill that one must bring to the class.

Reading this I have to question the veracity of the one side of this story. If true, as a fellow LTC instructor I want to know this guy so he can be culled from the list. But on the flip side, I have failed students who are indeed not proficient. Either by inaccuracies or by unsafe handling. So I wonder if one of those was the real issue.

Is the OP’s lack of firearms knowledge indicative of the ”real” situation? I pray it’s not. But like others have stated, I hope everyone with an LTC is indeed proficient. My wife is out in public every day and I’m just as much concerned about her being caught in errant crossfire as I am her being a targeted victim.

Please do give us his name. Please let the DPS handle this situation accordingly.

Top Bottom