• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    It's improperly staked, end of story period. It may be "good enough" for some, but in answer to your question, it is not staked properly. I really don't mean to be an ass about it, I am being completely honest and upfront about what I PERSONALLY would do.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Jared, no need to apologize man. You confirmed what I thought to begin with. Thanks for the advice. I have called them and sent them an email with my pic, and the pics you put up, and told them I expect to have a new bolt carrier assembly at my front door by Friday....CORRECTLY staked.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Theri response to me just a few minutes ago.

Dusty,

I have a new carrier shippingout today with a call tag for the bad one. Just take the good one out andship back the bad one. I do apologize for all of the head aches, but Ihope this will help make it up. Please email me with any questions.

Thankyou,
    Aaron Glass | Sales
    DPMS Firearms
    331212th St SE, St.Cloud, MN 56304
    Phone (800) 578-3767 | Fax (320) 345-9249 |
    aaron@dpmsinc.com

Freedom Group Family of Companies: Remington |Marlin | Bushmaster Firearms | DPMS / Panther Arms |H&R | Barnes Bullets | Advanced Armament Corp |Mountain Khakis | Para USA | Dakota Arms | Parker Gun

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Sounds like they have good customer service anyways.

I would like to see pictures comparing the new one to the old.

I will make sure to take a side by side pic and post them up. This AR is my first AR, so to say the least I have been very frustrated. I will hang on to this one and I will be attempting a build on my next one. Either that or go with Jareds suggestion and get a Colt or something like that.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    It's improperly staked, end of story period. It may be "good enough" for some, but in answer to your question, it is not staked properly. I really don't mean to be an ass about it, I am being completely honest and upfront about what I PERSONALLY would do.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

With my fairly limited knowledge, as I am perty new to AR's, I gotta go with Jared on this. Like he said, "It may be good enough", but from some of the others I've seen Including my BCM BCG, it is not staked properly. Just my opinion though:peace:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It is staked, but from that angle it does appear to be a little light. Typically from what I've seen that head is usually notched pretty good. The idea of a stake is to severely reduce the likely hood of that head turning to work itself loose. If you think that head can work loose under heavy stress, then it's not staked enough. DPMS or not (and don't let the haters get to you, I have 2 DPMS rifles, 1 in 5.56 and the other .308, with well over 8 - 900 rounds by at least 5 times that and would not hesitate to save hundreds again in avoiding the "higher quality" priced rifles) , it's probably a good idea to get it replaced and correctly. I always say that when it comes to firearms and safety, doubt is instinct and always trust that first.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    why would someone laugh? DPMS parts are respected.

Truth be told, there are only a handful of companies that make AR parts. Others just stamp there name on it

Why would someone laugh? Because of all the fail in this thread about being properly staked when they aren't, and that internet bullshit you just spewed about a "handful of companies." Proper assembly and QC are every bit as important as quality parts, no matter who made them.

Dusty, glad to see they are taking care of you, even though they failed twice so far.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For comparison, here's the ones in my Colt:
    IMG_01041_zps41cbb867.jpg

I'd say yours are weak at best. Good eye dude. Hope they fix you right.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Why would someone laugh? Because of all the fail in this thread about being properly staked when they aren't, and that internet bullshit you just spewed about a "handful of companies." Proper assembly and QC are every bit as important as quality parts, no matter who made them.

Dusty, glad to see they are taking care of you, even though they failed twice so far.

You do know reading comprehension is part of reading

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Colt's are the standard. Go from there. I have some less and some better. But Colt is the "Gold Standard" for comparison purposes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, since there obviously is a difference of opinion on them being properly staked, is there any way to test them? Not only for this thread but for future reference.

Will an Allen wrench settle it? If it will not turn out is that good enough? Is that more or less stress than it will have to endure during firing?

I have always believed that a wrench shouldn't remove the screw and that is staked enough. Loc Tite will not hold them in and I know I can remove a Loc Tited screw with a wrench.

I am just curious here. There are many different levels of being staked properly. If it holds then it is staked properly. I am all for overkill on a defensive weapon but is there a proper way to test it? Does the internal head of the screw have to be damaged to be good enough? I do not believe so but it is apparent that some people do.

Top Bottom