• ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    So, here's the pic first.
    IMG_2471_zps46e3dd5b.gif

Well, my wife reported that it shut off today. Basically, when I try to turn it on, the led comes on and I hear the click, but then I hear a silent click like when it turns off and it does turn off. 3 years old, never had a problem with it. It turns on and a second later, before the screen can come on, turns off. I have checked all capacitors and they are all perfectly fine. power supply works fine. I am not sure, but the problem seems to lie in the board in the center. The click sound comes from the silver box on the left of that board. Within a fraction of a second, after the click, there is current sound (like a buzzing or hissing) coming from the green thing on the top right of the board. Right after that, I hear the off click from the left again. That is it. One second of click,hiss,softer click. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

OH! There was no power outage, or anything obvious that would lead to it having this problem. It simply went off and doesn't come back on. I have tried several reset methods. Nothing. Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Wish I could help but honestly most consumer electronics are throw aways. It is usually cheaper to buy a new one than get one fixed.

Good luck and I hope it is something easy to fix. Maybe someone can help.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Wish I could help but honestly most consumer electronics are throw aways. It is usually cheaper to buy a new one than get one fixed.

Good luck and I hope it is something easy to fix. Maybe someone can help.

Well, thank you Dawico. Luckily I'm not a couch potato but I do like to keep it on to help me sleep. I have seen that board for around 80 dollars online. I'm wondering if it needs to be replaced.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    So, here's the pic first.
    IMG_2471_zps46e3dd5b.gif

Within a fraction of a second, after the click, there is current sound (like a buzzing or hissing) coming from the green thing on the top right of the board.

That green thing looks a lot like a transformer, just like the cans that hang from power poles and the giant green boxes found around some buildings. While almost all the "big" transformers hum/buz, I have never heard little ones like this one do it. They probably do but just not at a human audible level.

If you are vey handy with a sodering iron you might be able to replace it as it is probably the source of the problem, given the noise it is makeing. As Dawico said, modern consumer electronics are not designed with repair in mind. If you do attempt to remove/replace, do not use a sodering iron that is just a power cord attached to the handle, use one where you have several levels of temperature control. The board does not look like it uses surface mounts which is in your favor. Just take great care, it is much easier to destroy the board beyond hope of repair while trying to remove the component then it is to attach the new item.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    That green thing looks a lot like a transformer, just like the cans that hang from power poles and the giant green boxes found around some buildings. While almost all the "big" transformers hum/buz, I have never heard little ones like this one do it. They probably do but just not at a human audible level.

If you are vey handy with a sodering iron you might be able to replace it as it is probably the source of the problem, given the noise it is makeing. As Dawico said, modern consumer electronics are not designed with repair in mind. If you do attempt to remove/replace, do not use a sodering iron that is just a power cord attached to the handle, use one where you have several levels of temperature control. The board does not look like it uses surface mounts which is in your favor. Just take great care, it is much easier to destroy the board beyond hope of repair while trying to remove the component then it is to attach the new item.

Awesome. Yea it's more like a buzzing then hissing. So considering that I don't have a soldering iron at all, let alone o e that you described, and including buying parts, would the whole boar at 65 bucks after shipping be a good deal? If so, are you confident it will fix the issue? Thank you.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, thank you Dawico. Luckily I'm not a couch potato but I do like to keep it on to help me sleep. I have seen that board for around 80 dollars online. I'm wondering if it needs to be replaced.

How much did the TV cost new?

I am all about doing it myself but sometimes it isn't worth it.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    600. I can't do 600 right now. Shit, not even 200. Wife and I are trying to finish ours and the kids go bags. If that board, replaced, won't fix it, I'll have to hook up the 18 inch. Right in front of my face during movies so it seems big. Haha.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Thats a easy fix as long as you can solder or you know some one who can. the link I am posting is a common problem with lcd tv's. this will only cost you at the most 15 bucks in supplies you can buy at Radio shack. I did this repair on my tv as well. If you look closely at those three little towers some of them might look swollen.

Samsung LCD TV: Failed Power On (Clicking) Repair - YouTube

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do you have a multi meter? If not, the new board is a crap shoot. Drag out the small set till you get ready to gamble.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    Do you have a multi meter? If not, the new board is a crap shoot. Drag out the small set till you get ready to gamble.

agree, my comment about the transformer being the problem is a little more than a wag, without the proper testing equipment it is a roll of the dice. The good thing is that board does not look like it has much in the way of complicated components and you would learn some new stuff, but if you are starting at zero it might not be economical to start with this project. Do you have any EE friends, they would probably have the equipment and required still to make this a quick inexpensive fix.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

Well, I don't mind gambling for 65 bucks cause I just designed a logo for 100 bucks and I didn't really need that money. I don't mind even a 7 inch TV, but I hate to have expensive things sitting around collecting dust. Plus, my wife and kids love to play Mario games with me. Tiny screen multiplayer Mario, makes for crows feet from squinting for 5 hours strait. My children will start to look like smokers.

Thats a easy fix as long as you can solder or you know some one who can. the link I am posting is a common problem with lcd tv's. this will only cost you at the most 15 bucks in supplies you can buy at Radio shack. I did this repair on my tv as well. If you look closely at those three little towers some of them might look swollen.

Samsung LCD TV: Failed Power On (Clicking) Repair - YouTube

agree, my comment about the transformer being the problem is a little more than a wag, without the proper testing equipment it is a roll of the dice. The good thing is that board does not look like it has much in the way of complicated components and you would learn some new stuff, but if you are starting at zero it might not be economical to start with this project. Do you have any EE friends, they would probably have the equipment and required still to make this a quick inexpensive fix.

Thanks for the video! I actually learned a lot. I gave my mom an iMac and shortly after the capacitors blew. She ordered the new capacitors, but I didn't imagine it would be that easy. Now I think I'll fix THAT for her. The thing is, I kept track of all of the stuff he needed in the video and I have none of that stuff. My father in law is an electric engineer. He actually worked at nasa and some nuclear facilities and is sent all around the world. He gave me like 4 grand worth of some pretty awesome tools, but they got stolen during a move. He isn't the electronic, mother board type though, so he wouldn't know a damn thing. So, I would rather just buy the whole board for 65 bucks shipped, then buy a bunch of stuff worth that much, attempt to fix it, and possibly mess it up and have to buy the board anyway.

I gotta say though, this is the happiest I have ever been to lose something expensive. I was riding my buddies Honda Ruckus today for the first time. Kind of a dorky little thing but I personally think it's cool and will probably get a scooter now. So I was riding it, and somehow (this almost never happens as I am an incredibly aware drive. Never been in an accident in my life) I didn't realize there was a red light and blew through it. Well, there happened to be this huge truck sitting idle at the intersecting green light. He would have creamed me if it wasn't for him getting a good laugh at this slim guy riding a tiny scooter and was distracted. When my wife informed me the TV was broken, I was like "YES! I blew through a red light today and all that happened was my tv broke!". I could be dead. I have died before, though so it's no big deal anyway. Just like being asleep. DAMN, I'm babbling on like a loner. I think I may be talking to myself at this point... HAHAHAA. Well thank you, gentlemen. So, a good deal on the board?

Top Bottom