• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I got to help at the shooting portion of an LTC class today. My role was to make sure no one shot themselves or someone else. I saw lots of "interesting" things. I would like to point out that 1 of 19 shooters had a full size 1911 that jammed like crazy.

In all fairness, I saw malfunctions with probably 50% of the guns. All different makes. Steel ammo was causing FTEs like crazy with a Glock.

Other than the steel ammo causing problems most of what I saw was shooter error. Bad grips, riding the slide, etc. Saw two slide bite cases.

It was fun & I'm glad new folks are shooting but I hope some of them take a class or two. At least I got to shoot a box at the end. I'm rusty but was looking good by the end.

CSB, I know.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Malfunctions and folks struggling to load mags really slow things down.......I tell everyone to practice loading mags and if your gun can't run 50 rounds without a malfunction fix it or get another gun......BEFORE...........the qualification/class.........they don't....

Glad you got experience reality on the range.......

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Years ago when I took my class some of the people didn't bring ammo. I had a few extra boxes of 9mm that I offered at $12.50 a box or they could drive to Academy 20 miles away. People thought I was overcharging. Times have changed.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Your story reminds me of the very first CHL class I participated in way back there in the mid 1990's.
    Things were very new CHL wise then so it was kind of haphazard how things were done.
    The Instructor had run several classroom sessions building up a huge amount of students who then all descended on the range at once to complete the shooting portion of the qualification. Good heavens. There must of been over 70 of us students.
    Types of students were all across the spectrum. Old ladies, young ladies, ancient old guys to young men barely old enough to shave.
    As a gun dork what I found particularly fascinating was the variety of handguns that emerged from all these folks closets and sock drawers.
    There were revolvers and semi's from all ages an eras.
    1960's El Cheap-O saturday night specials to WW1 era British military revolvers to 1911's to .38 snubbies to Hi-Points to huge S&W nickeled revolvers still in their wooden felt lined display cases! One dude had an original Colt SAA.
    It was incredible.
    I guarantee most of these weapons hadn't seen daylight in decades if ever.
    The shooting session lasted for HOURS and HOURS.
    Multiple failures of all weapons.
    The guy with the British Webley managed to jam it using .45acp ammo in it. Can you believe that?!?! Jammed a revolver. True story. This required a cold line be declared so said jammed weapon could be removed. The gun had to be disassembled to clear it. I got to help on that one.
    One elderly lady had a viscous little .380 that was possessed by demons. That gun had an amazing propensity to fire red hot casings right down the back collar of my shirt while standing 15ft aside of her. Ouch.
    Another hapless older fellow had a S&W revolver he literally did not know how to load. He had the trembling palsy so bad the instructor finally told him he had no business handling firearms and to go home. His money would be refunded.
    The young couple with el crappo 9mm's of unknown make that wouldn't cycle rounds for anything. I finally loaned them my 1911 so they could be done and get the f'ck out of the way.
    The one guy with the .38 snub that was an ace. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    The old veteran with the By God 1911A1 .45 Won World War Twice ALL BY ITSELF pistol. Who refused to listen to the firing instructions because he WAS A VETERAN!!!! He KNEW what he was doing! Just listen to him. He'll tell ya. He of course fired out of order and the Instructor failed him because he didn't bring enough ammo to reshoot in the correct manner.
    It was glorious afternoon that ran until after 10pm! LMAO!

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Years ago when I took my class some of the people didn't bring ammo. I had a few extra boxes of 9mm that I offered at $12.50 a box or they could drive to Academy 20 miles away. People thought I was overcharging. Times have changed.
    Same people that can't believe beer is $12 at a stadium.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I got to help at the shooting portion of an LTC class today. My role was to make sure no one shot themselves or someone else. I saw lots of "interesting" things. I would like to point out that 1 of 19 shooters had a full size 1911 that jammed like crazy.

In all fairness, I saw malfunctions with probably 50% of the guns. All different makes. Steel ammo was causing FTEs like crazy with a Glock.

Other than the steel ammo causing problems most of what I saw was shooter error. Bad grips, riding the slide, etc. Saw two slide bite cases.

It was fun & I'm glad new folks are shooting but I hope some of them take a class or two. At least I got to shoot a box at the end. I'm rusty but was looking good by the end.

CSB, I know.
    Maybe I will see them cheap on TGT soon. I can only hope.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You've got balls. My class was ok - split the shooting part into three groups. We had one lady who had no clue what she was doing. Constant jams. Then there was the ex-cop a few lanes over from me who put all of his shots inside a 2" circle. Put me to shame.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My class was a shit show, but that’s mostly due to the instructor.

Only one jammomatic and it wasn’t jamming, it was an issue with the safety on the gun. I knew what it was because I had gotten rid of the same gun not long before for the same reason.

Felt bad for some of the people since they knew nothing of firearms and had no experience on a forum with TXI quoting Texas scripture. They left with a lot of bad information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Your story reminds me of the very first CHL class I participated in way back there in the mid 1990's.
    Things were very new CHL wise then so it was kind of haphazard how things were done.
    The Instructor had run several classroom sessions building up a huge amount of students who then all descended on the range at once to complete the shooting portion of the qualification. Good heavens. There must of been over 70 of us students.
    Types of students were all across the spectrum. Old ladies, young ladies, ancient old guys to young men barely old enough to shave.
    As a gun dork what I found particularly fascinating was the variety of handguns that emerged from all these folks closets and sock drawers.
    There were revolvers and semi's from all ages an eras.
    1960's El Cheap-O saturday night specials to WW1 era British military revolvers to 1911's to .38 snubbies to Hi-Points to huge S&W nickeled revolvers still in their wooden felt lined display cases! One dude had an original Colt SAA.
    It was incredible.
    I guarantee most of these weapons hadn't seen daylight in decades if ever.
    The shooting session lasted for HOURS and HOURS.
    Multiple failures of all weapons.
    The guy with the British Webley managed to jam it using .45acp ammo in it. Can you believe that?!?! Jammed a revolver. True story. This required a cold line be declared so said jammed weapon could be removed. The gun had to be disassembled to clear it. I got to help on that one.
    One elderly lady had a viscous little .380 that was possessed by demons. That gun had an amazing propensity to fire red hot casings right down the back collar of my shirt while standing 15ft aside of her. Ouch.
    Another hapless older fellow had a S&W revolver he literally did not know how to load. He had the trembling palsy so bad the instructor finally told him he had no business handling firearms and to go home. His money would be refunded.
    The young couple with el crappo 9mm's of unknown make that wouldn't cycle rounds for anything. I finally loaned them my 1911 so they could be done and get the f'ck out of the way.
    The one guy with the .38 snub that was an ace. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    The old veteran with the By God 1911A1 .45 Won World War Twice ALL BY ITSELF pistol. Who refused to listen to the firing instructions because he WAS A VETERAN!!!! He KNEW what he was doing! Just listen to him. He'll tell ya. He of course fired out of order and the Instructor failed him because he didn't bring enough ammo to reshoot in the correct manner.
    It was glorious afternoon that ran until after 10pm! LMAO!
    This was a great read. Sounds like a real 3 ring circus!

Top Bottom