• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netxhomesteader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Richmond
    Okay, I know there are folks out there who can help me decide whether to buy the Henry .22LR Frontier or the Henry .22LR Golden Boy. Besides the cost, why is the Golden Boy a better rifle for plinking and varmint chasing? I'm looking for a fun rifle to pop off around the farm. What should I do?:1zhelp:
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd rather have the Frontier, it looks very nice. Both are basically the same rifle.

They have a good feel, and generally the Henry actions aren't too bad either.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    According to Henry Repeating Arms the only difference is one is brass one is not.
    I disagree, there is also a price difference.

With the GB you can have custom inscription engraved on it
    Henry Repeating Arms Company - Henry Store

I have the Frontier and love it.
    The Frontier and my Colt New Heritage 22 make for a great pair while horseback riding through the thickets.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I have the Golden Boy. Very smooth action and a pleasure to shoot. Very nice range gun, but I wouldn't drag it around the farm. If you want a working rifle, go with the Frontier

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The physical difference is that the GoldeBoy has a deeper drop in the comb (the stock sits lower in relation to the centerline of the barrel). Some folks (me included) prefer the shallower drop on the Frontier. Your best bet is to shoulder both and see what you like.

If you're going varmint hunting, I would not use a GoldenBoy because the brass is merely plating, and trudging through the woods would probably cause the plating to get scratched.

I have a Frontier that I replaced the sights on, as well as stripping the black paint off the receiver cover and barrel band.

henry_h001t_frontier.jpg

I love my Henry rifle. Their customer service is exceptional.

shellshook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I had the same questions. Is my understanding that the only difference between the two for ~$150 is the receiver has a gold plate rather than black paint? Thanks.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had the same questions. Is my understanding that the only difference between the two for ~$150 is the receiver has a gold plate rather than black paint? Thanks.

The brass plating is only part of the extra cost. The other (more important) difference is the drop depth of the comb. The butt (aka comb) of the GoldenBoy is *lower* in relation to the centerline of the barrel. For me, the extra comb drop meant I couldn't rest my cheek on the butt stock while shooting. Some folks don't mind that, but I do.

My advice is to go to a gun store that has both the golden boy and a standard Henry lever rifle in stock and put each up to your shoulder. You'll see immediately what that means. I think Bass Pro or Academy may have both in stock. You may also find both in stock at your small local gun shop(s) as well, but the chain stores are more likely to have both.

With the Golden Boy, Henry is trying to more accurately reflect the appearance of the original Henry "Yellow Boy" centerfire rifles.

shellshook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I had considered one of the frontiers because it reminded me of my Daisy BB guns in the past.....and I just like lever guns. I had seen one at Academy at ~$259 and was considering.......hard to justify with a 10/22 at $179.....but sure looks like fun to plink with.

netxhomesteader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Richmond
    Well, I ended up getting the Golden Boy. Liked the way it felt. Also, if anyone out there is considering either gun, you can special order from Wally World. $320 for the Frontier and $385 for the Golden Boy. Bad part is I can't play with it until Christmas. While I was looking for the Frontier/Golden Boy. I also found the Big Boy .45 Colt to be a nice gun. Something for the future.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had considered one of the frontiers because it reminded me of my Daisy BB guns in the past.....and I just like lever guns. I had seen one at Academy at ~$259 and was considering.......hard to justify with a 10/22 at $179.....but sure looks like fun to plink with.

There's a lot more steel in the Henry Frontier than in a 10-22, and the Henry is 100% made in the USA, and their customer service is outstanding. I don't own a 10-22, but it seems that I see a lot more people mentioning ammo problems with it that with a Henry, and mostly because the 10-22 is a semi-auto. It requires higher than normal velocity ammo to make it work correctly because the ammo itself is responsible for making the rifle properly eject the spent casing and load the next round into battery.

If you want a nice lever gun, a Henry is certainly a nice choice - I thoroughly enjoy mine, and it shoots everything I've loaded in it. If you want a semi-auto, the 10-22 is a good choice as long as you're willing to spend a little more money on proper ammo.

busdriver72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think either would serve you well. The Golden Boy is not a "knock-around" gun though. It is designed for performance and looks. I use one at competitions, and it has laways performed exceptionally well. The Frontier model I do not have, but I think it would perform as good.
    I am sold on Henry.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom