Henry .22LR Frontier versus Henry .22LR Golden Boy

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by netxhomesteader, Jul 22, 2009.

1. netxhomesteader

netxhomesteader New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Richmond
    Okay, I know there are folks out there who can help me decide whether to buy the Henry .22LR Frontier or the Henry .22LR Golden Boy. Besides the cost, why is the Golden Boy a better rifle for plinking and varmint chasing?:headscratch: I'm looking for a fun rifle to pop off around the farm. What should I do?:1zhelp:

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd rather have the Frontier, it looks very nice. Both are basically the same rifle.

They have a good feel, and generally the Henry actions aren't too bad either.

3. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    They are the same besides the GB has a brass reciever and butplate.

4. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    According to Henry Repeating Arms the only difference is one is brass one is not.
    I disagree, there is also a price difference.

With the GB you can have custom inscription engraved on it
    Henry Repeating Arms Company - Henry Store

I have the Frontier and love it.
    The Frontier and my Colt New Heritage 22 make for a great pair while horseback riding through the thickets.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I looked at a Henry .22 magnun a couple of days ago. Did not care for it and will keep looking.

6. CJS3

CJS3 Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I have the Golden Boy. Very smooth action and a pleasure to shoot. Very nice range gun, but I wouldn't drag it around the farm. If you want a working rifle, go with the Frontier

7. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Try and find a nice used Marlin Model 39.

You'll forget all about the Henry.

Thats what I did.

- brickboy240

8. jsimmons

jsimmons Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The physical difference is that the GoldeBoy has a deeper drop in the comb (the stock sits lower in relation to the centerline of the barrel). Some folks (me included) prefer the shallower drop on the Frontier. Your best bet is to shoulder both and see what you like.

If you're going varmint hunting, I would not use a GoldenBoy because the brass is merely plating, and trudging through the woods would probably cause the plating to get scratched.

I have a Frontier that I replaced the sights on, as well as stripping the black paint off the receiver cover and barrel band.

[​IMG]

I love my Henry rifle. Their customer service is exceptional.

9. shellshook

shellshook Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I had the same questions. Is my understanding that the only difference between the two for ~$150 is the receiver has a gold plate rather than black paint? Thanks.

10. jsimmons

jsimmons Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The brass plating is only part of the extra cost. The other (more important) difference is the drop depth of the comb. The butt (aka comb) of the GoldenBoy is *lower* in relation to the centerline of the barrel. For me, the extra comb drop meant I couldn't rest my cheek on the butt stock while shooting. Some folks don't mind that, but I do.

My advice is to go to a gun store that has both the golden boy and a standard Henry lever rifle in stock and put each up to your shoulder. You'll see immediately what that means. I think Bass Pro or Academy may have both in stock. You may also find both in stock at your small local gun shop(s) as well, but the chain stores are more likely to have both.

With the Golden Boy, Henry is trying to more accurately reflect the appearance of the original Henry "Yellow Boy" centerfire rifles.