• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    I can't do a direct apples to apples comparison (yet) but my dad has a Marlin 44Mag and I have a Henry 22LR and the Henry is absolutely no comparison better in every way to the Marlin. I have a 45LC Henry on order so I will be able to compare similar action lengths finally but I still expect the Henry to be miles ahead of the clunky and rough Marlin action. I have cycled the Henry 44Mag in a store and it felt a lot better than dad's Marlin, but it wasn't a side-by-side.

My dad also has an old Winchester and it is very comparable to the Henry.

With that being said, the Marlin isn't a bad rifle by any means, just not as good as the Henry IMO.

Banjoman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Azle
    The Henrys are very comparable to older Winchesters except with a much smoother action. Henry has the smoothest lever action of any, hands down. They offer great customer support also which I think is important. The only thing I found cheezy with my Henry .22 LR was the plastic barrel band that it came with. I called henry and they sent me a new metal band at no charge. When I lost the rear sight on mine, they also sent me another one at no charge.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I own 8 lever actions - Marlins, Winchesters and one Savage 99. I have shot and carried Marlin leverguns for about 20 years.

You would NEVER get me to trade my 357 or 44 mag Marlin 1894s for a Henry Big Boy. No way...no how.

The Henry 22 Golden Boys looks really nice, but again....I'd take a Marlin Model 39 over these in a heartbeat. The Model 39 is what Annie Oakley shot...that should tell you something.

The Marlin 39 and 94 have been in production for over 100 years. Why do you think they're still being made? Quality and reliability.

The Henrys are ok for the money spent, but they're made of alloys and cast parts and corners are cut on these rifles to keep costs down. Thats not true of the Marlins.

- brickboy240

Banjoman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Azle
    Henry was established in 1862 . I have never owned a Marlin so, I cant comment on those but, I am sure they are fine guns.

Ishtacka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    Banjo- I'm not sure if the Henry Company of today is the same of the past. As far as I can research, the current Henry Repeating Arms has been producing lever actions since the early nineties. As opposed to the currently produced Winchester lever actions, Henry Repeating arms makes sure that their rifles are home grown, American made products.

The original company that produced the Henry (During the Mid 19th century) turned into what we know as Winchester est. 1866. They produced an updated version of the Henry Repeating Rifle.

Brick- Have you ever shot a Henry? No one is asking to take your rifle from your cold dead hands ;) But in my experience (Mine), the balance and action of the rifle make it to be an outstanding experience. The alloys used on the exterior and interior mechanisms are by no mean 'weak' or inferior. If you have not been able to experience a Henry, I suggest you try it. If you have, please, enjoy your rifles.

I myself have owned both Marlins and Henrys. My grandfather had an older Winchester that I shot extensively in my late teens. They are all fine rifles and hold their place in history. But in truth, all I currently own are Henrys. They are the ones I chose to keep. There are many side by side reviews of lever actions on the net. Before my purchase of my last Henry, I found them to be very informative and helpful.

Ish

P.S.- I always find it funny, The Henry Repeater is the rifle that won Little Big Horn.

Banjoman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Azle
    Ish, you are correct. What I said was that Henry was "established" in 1862, not in business since then. The new Henry Arms company does a great job of keeping the tradition alive while still using state of the art materials and machinery to build them. My next new rifle with me a Henry .17 HMR lever action varmint express. For 30-30, I prefer my old 94's.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The Henry Big Boy is not really anything like the original Henry leverguns of the old west days. However, the Marlin 1894 is still very much a recreation of the original 100 year old design.

Yes, the Henry 22s are really nice to shoot, but I doubt I'd trade my Marlin 39 for a Golden Boy. Remember, Annie Oakley shot a Marlin 39 and the Marlin 39 is the oldest rifle design still in production today.

There is a reason for Marlin's longevity....their quality and products are very good and historically accurate.

- brickboy240

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    The Henry .22's and same-sized other calibers are very good rifles - smooth and accurate. I personally favor the frontier model with octagonal barrel and steel barrel bands. But the standard models are good guns.

They don't compare to Winchesters or Marlins though - apples and oranges. The Henry's are more tools than works of art if that makes any sense.

And I have no interest in the heavy and bulky big boys. I don't like the way they look either.

Top Bottom