• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Sorry in advance for the stupid question but I just have to know this. The other day I grabbed a .270 win round (Remington Core Lokt 150gr) out of the box and placed it tip first into the barrel of my Mossberg 100 ATR .270 win. Don't ask me why I did that, I really don't know. Maybe I wanted to see how far the bullet would fit inside the barrel. Anyways, I found the bullet didn't fit all the way in, about half was still outside because the diameter was too big. I didn't force anything, I just merely placed it on top.

So is this normal? Like I said before, forgive me for the stupid question, but I just want to know that when I pull the trigger my barrel won't explode because the bullet was too big.
    ARJ Defense ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is not normal you should give me the rifle and go out and get a safer rifle imideatly! You are taking about from the business end right? Not the chamber? If you are talking about the muzzle than you are fine. If you are talking about the chamber you will definitely be sending that rifle back to Mossberg.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    That is not normal you should give me the rifle and go out and get a safer rifle imideatly! You are taking about from the business end right? Not the chamber? If you are talking about the muzzle than you are fine. If you are talking about the chamber you will definitely be sending that rifle back to Mossberg.
    Yep, business end. When I chambered a round the other day there were no problems with the bolt action closing or ejecting the round.

I'll be happy to give you my rifle, can I have one of your AR-15 in trade?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'll be happy to give you my rifle, can I have one of your AR-15 in trade?

I don't have any AR's, but you can still give me that ATR.
    To answer you're question, you're fine. If you get the bullet to go in that way you have problems. If it was small enough to fit their would not be any thing to stop the gasses from escaping and build up pressure. The gasses would simply go around. The bullet would just flop around and roll out the end like rolling a marble ball threw a 12" PVC pipe.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The bullet is going to be incredibly tight in the bore. That's to ensure it engages the rifling and creates a tight gas seal. You shouldn't be able to push it all the way in, if you can, it's because your crown is eroded away.

As far as seating in the chamber, it's normal to have some tightness when you are working the action. Depending on the seating depth and the gun you may engage the rifling, which generally is preferred.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    The bullet is going to be incredibly tight in the bore. That's to ensure it engages the rifling and creates a tight gas seal. You shouldn't be able to push it all the way in, if you can, it's because your crown is eroded away.
    I keep telling my wife my crown has eroded! She says, "silence, or it's off to the dungeon!"

It all makes sense, thanks to your explanations. It's something I really never thought much about and especially "tested" like I did.

Top Bottom