• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Decided I need to start reloading. The Dillon came very highly recommended, and I have been looking at the XL750. But then someone else told me not to spend that much on a Dillon and start with a Hornady. I’m guessing that’s just a matter of opinions, but it definitely got the inner cheapskate in me thinking of saving money!! Is the Dillon a better set-up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Go Blue... you wont regret it.
    I can pump out about 300 9mm in an hour or so with my Dillon 550.

20191010_200936.jpg

Attachments

• 20191010_200936.jpg
      20191010_200936.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 732

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Im pretty sure I’m going Dillon. And just so I understand, I can get the 550 or 750 kit in 9mm, then just buy the die sets for .45, .223, and 44 mag, and that same press will reload all those calibers?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Im pretty sure I’m going Dillon. And just so I understand, I can get the 550 or 750 kit in 9mm, then just buy the die sets for .45, .223, and 44 mag, and that same press will reload all those calibers?

You’ll need a conversion kit for each caliber also, which consists of the shell plate, powder die insert, and appropriately sized keeper pins.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

Die sets, conversion kit, extra tool heads ... so you set dies & not worry about swapping dies. You can even get extra powder measures for each tool head... saves on time.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Decided I need to start reloading. The Dillon came very highly recommended, and I have been looking at the XL750. But then someone else told me not to spend that much on a Dillon and start with a Hornady. I’m guessing that’s just a matter of opinions, but it definitely got the inner cheapskate in me thinking of saving money!! Is the Dillon a better set-up?

The 750 seems to be a better machine in general. I have never used a 650/ 750 but owners in general seem to be very happy and have few issues.

I have a Hornady LnL AP and it does require some tinkering on occasion but I don't have any problem with that.

The Hornady press and conversion kits are cheaper though. The conversion kits are easier to find too if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Customer service is a wash as both are great.

Progressive presses are a great example of getting what you pay for. The Lee presses are the cheapest but also require the most attention. Hornady is in the middle and Dillon is at the top based on a price to problem comparison for general nonprofessional reloaders.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have used a Dillon 550 for a lot of years and load almost all of my handgun and larger quantity rifle ammunition on it. BUT, I do suggest starting off with a single stage press to learn on. There are a lot of operations going on at the same time with progressive press, and it is a very steep learning curve. With a single stage, you can observe and learn what each operation does and how it affects most subsequent operations.
    It is not money wasted, a single stage press come in very handy on your bench next to a progressive

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I started with a 550 progressive, the learning curve isn't that bad. Ive never used a single stage but i do use a Lymann 6 hole rotary to deprime all my brass. I couldn't imagine having to load with a single stage after loading with a progressive.

You just have to remember to set a primer & push the handle forward after you resize tha case. You should always be cautious when going to the next process, make sure powder dropped & you set a bullet BEFORE every handle pull & you rotate the shell plate.

Theres several videos out there ... this is the process of steps i use. You can also load 1 bullet at a time & go through the process similar to a single stage. Once you get used to running the press, then you could load all 4 stages at 1 time.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've owned three Hornady LnL AP presses. I've sold all three. I have a pair of Dillon 650's mounted on the bench.

Just take a look at what a used Hornady sells for vs a used Dillon.

I can load an easy 500-600 rounds a hour on my 650. That includes the time it takes to load the primer tubes.

The only better press than a Dillon is a Mark 7. They also cost 4-5X what a Dillon 750 costs.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

Get the 750, you wont regret it. Nothing wrong with the LnL but the Dillon is worth it in my opinion. My only hand machine is a 1050 b/c of the the extra stations but if I was buying a machine for my house it would be a 650/750.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m definitely getting the 750. Went to the range today, and saved all my brass. It was kinda funny, I shot a box with the Model 29, then grabbed my 9mm to throw a few rounds down range, and after shooting that 44, it felt like I was shooting a red rider BB gun!

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    For a first timer I would stick with the 550. It doesn't auto index and gives you time to learn what is happening.

You can disable the auto index if you want or learn it one case at a time. That's like buying a kids bike with training wheels when what you want is a motorcycle. Just buy the motorcycle, take lessons, and learn responsibly. Buying two machines is a waste given the learning curve delta is negligible for a reasonably intelligent person.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I watched a YouTube video yesterday that sounded EXACTLY like something I would do! A guy got his machine and set it all up and instead of loading a few rounds and testing the load, he was impatient and loaded almost 500. He went to the range a couple days later only to find out they weren’t powerful enough to index his slide back far enough to load the next round. He had to take them all back apart and reload them.

Top Bottom