Here we go!

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
I went and got a pound of H110, a box of Hornaday XTP 180 grain, and 300 magnum pistol primers. I looked at the load data, and those babies are gonna be SCREAMING when they leave the barrel.

dd9498e1ef503e4a734edbaacc3d8e7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Doesn't specify them. Call for regular large pistol Be careful. Just like a beginning cook, follow the recipe exactly until you get experience.
I just noticed that and was getting on here to ask about it. I’ll look to see what the Lee book says, but if it doesn’t call for magnum pistol primers, what would they be used for, if not magnum charges?

rotor

Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
Rule 1, follow the load data printed. Rule 2, same as rule 1. I don't know if the switch in primers matters or not but if you are going to follow the data you need to follow it. I load shotgun too, you never substitute anything with shotgun. If they say CCI primers that's what you use.
Winchester large pistol primers they claim as suitable for loads calling for regular and magnum loads and they don't even make a magnum large pistol primer but they do make one for small pistol.
Just starting out though I would follow published load data and at one point I mentioned a chronograph, not expensive. Then you will know if they are screaming. Finally I use a case gage for everything I reload. Consider buying one.

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
I read that, then went and found a couple other articles, and they all have differing opinions! A couple things I have read say that H110 powder needs a magnum primer for more uniform ignition. Another article says, unless it’s cold out, a standard large pistol primer will work. Gonna have to see what the Lee book says, and go by that.

rotor

Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
I looked in my Hornady manual for the 180 gr xtp and they recommend Winchester LP primer and like I mentioned above that is supposed to be for regular and magnum use. I believe they are the only company that doesn't make a separate large pistol magnum primer but don't quote me. Lee just says large pistol primer. Hornady, at least in my manual, did not have a load for H110 or W296 so use the load data you downloaded. I personally would use either a Winchester large pistol primer or any other large pistol primer but I would not change the load data. I would not use a magnum primer. Experimenting is for the professionals.
Lee data for H110 is the same as you posted. Very unlikely to have a kaboom if you stick to published data. The manufacturer published data ought to be a better source than an article you can read. Be careful.

rotor

Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
A comment about the Lee manual, I use it but I really don't believe that Lee actually does the testing. I think they compile the data from other published sources such as Lyman, Hornady, the websites, etc. The Lee book is good but I don't place as much value in that source as some of the other manuals. I may be wrong about Lee but I don't believe they actually do the testing. Anyone else know?

Top Bottom