• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Don't get me wrong... I've never had a bad run in with APD, or even WilCo for that matter, and I've been pleased with how courteous most of the cops are, even putting up with the shit on the job. Most are really cool dudes, but for some reason this really chapped my hide.

We went hunting last night, had a slow night so we decided to cruise by Jim's for some Chicken Fried Steak Breakfasts. We get there, park the war wagon, and head on in.

Right off the bat we get the glare from an APD Sgt that was hanging out in the middle of the restaurant. No biggie, cops are supposed to be aware, and we are a bunch of kids (early 20s).

We order, get our food, and start eating. At this point we get another two APD officers in... these guys have white outlines on their chevrons. One Sgt, and one Corporal, both giving us the look-over when they stroll in. They sit by the door.

Halfway in the meal the guys at the table put the waitress up to asking me why I am standing. She was nervous, I could hear it in her diction and voice. I tell her I can't sit [due to 5 surgeries in the past 2 years]. She then b-lines it over to the cops' table.

To make matters worse we get the "How are you gentlemen doing tonight?" question from the cop in question on our way out. Two of us ignore him and I muttered "Alright" and we left.

I guess he didn't want to search our vehicle after all... probably would have called the ATF since we had about literally 20 different firearms, most loaded and half autographed by the Governor I might add :) , in the car. That would have been a long night.

So thanks for the constant harrassment while we tried to just eat some damn breakfast, while we got poor service because evidently cops are better than regular customers.

Oh and about the Sgt. we saw when we came in, an hour later he was still hanging out. Glad to see our tax money hard at work. We saw plenty of cops hanging out in bushes, literally, on the way home too. Evidently those guys aren't good enough to hang out at Jim's... they are actually working.
    Venture Surplus ad

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Don't get me wrong... I've never had a bad run in with APD, or even WilCo for that matter, and I've been pleased with how courteous most of the cops are, even putting up with the shit on the job. Most are really cool dudes, but for some reason this really chapped my hide.

We went hunting last night, had a slow night so we decided to cruise by Jim's for some Chicken Fried Steak Breakfasts. We get there, park the war wagon, and head on in.

Right off the bat we get the glare from an APD Sgt that was hanging out in the middle of the restaurant. No biggie, cops are supposed to be aware, and we are a bunch of kids (early 20s).

We order, get our food, and start eating. At this point we get another two APD officers in... these guys have white outlines on their chevrons. One Sgt, and one Corporal, both giving us the look-over when they stroll in. They sit by the door.

Halfway in the meal the guys at the table put the waitress up to asking me why I am standing. She was nervous, I could hear it in her diction and voice. I tell her I can't sit [due to 5 surgeries in the past 2 years]. She then b-lines it over to the cops' table.

To make matters worse we get the "How are you gentlemen doing tonight?" question from the cop in question on our way out. Two of us ignore him and I muttered "Alright" and we left.

I guess he didn't want to search our vehicle after all... probably would have called the ATF since we had about literally 20 different firearms, most loaded and half autographed by the Governor I might add :) , in the car. That would have been a long night.

So thanks for the constant harrassment while we tried to just eat some damn breakfast, while we got poor service because evidently cops are better than regular customers.

Oh and about the Sgt. we saw when we came in, an hour later he was still hanging out. Glad to see our tax money hard at work. We saw plenty of cops hanging out in bushes, literally, on the way home too. Evidently those guys aren't good enough to hang out at Jim's... they are actually working.

Dud that sucks outright... sorry man

:banghead:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It appears to me, from what you wrote, that you were looking for a reason to be offended. Easy to do when you look for it.

I don't see an issue. No, that is a lie, I do; but it is not the cops issue.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    It's all cool. They just take notice to odd things. It's a crazy world these days. You were nice, they were nice.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wife and I had a nice breakfast at Jim's a couple of weeks ago, spent about an hour total inside. Some SAPD motorcycle cops were having breakfast when we arrived, and still were when we left. Hopefully they were off-shift and were going to return bikes after their hour and a half (at a guess?) breakfast.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Alan, I usually have your back, but in this case, if I read correctly, they looked at you as you came in, inquired as to why you were standing while eating and asked how you were doing as they left? Did I miss the rude part? I think someone standing as they eat in a 24 hour restaurant should arouse a cops suspicion as it is not normal. I have to agree with TXinvestigator, in that it looks like you were looking to get offended.
    And i will bet for every 90 minute lunch they take there is a shift where they got no lunch...that is pretty common too.

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    I wouldnt say it was harassment but it wouldnt say it wasnt either. If in fact the cops were curious why you were standing they should have been the ones to approach you not have a waitress do it. I do hate getting the stink eye by people especially cops since they can make your day hell. But look at the bright side you didnt get searched.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't look to be offended. I'm not an easily "offendable" person. Alot of what is left out of the text is the expressions and mannerisms, the tone of the question. There is alot left out of the translation.

I guess you'd have to be there to see it from my perspective.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't look to be offended. I'm not an easily "offendable" person. Alot of what is left out of the text is the expressions and mannerisms, the tone of the question. There is alot left out of the translation.
    And the POV of the cops is left out too. What was the behavior of this "bunch of kids" who entered? What do you consider a "glare"? How do you know they asked the waitress to ask why you were standing? Perhaps it went like this;

cop: "hey Suzie, why is that "kid" standing up and eating?"

suzie; "dunno, want me to ask him?"

cop: "you are too chicken, girl!"

suzie; "uhm huh, watch this"

And how does asking how you are "make matters worse"?

Good Grief

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Wife and I had a nice breakfast at Jim's a couple of weeks ago, spent about an hour total inside. Some SAPD motorcycle cops were having breakfast when we arrived, and still were when we left. Hopefully they were off-shift and were going to return bikes after their hour and a half (at a guess?) breakfast.

Nice breakfast at Jim's? Head on over to the Magnolia Pancake House, you'll never eat the crap Jim's gives you again. Great food, great service, and no annoying 30.06 signs.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    And the POV of the cops is left out too. What was the behavior of this "bunch of kids" who entered? What do you consider a "glare"? How do you know they asked the waitress to ask why you were standing? Perhaps it went like this

Seriously? Do you take me for an idiot?

The behavior was quiet conversation about nothing in particular, no loud or boisterous chatter, no horsing around, nothing out of the ordinary of anyone else in the restaurant. We were nice and courteous to the waitress. Nothing warranted the additional attention we received beyond me standing, which was addressed. Bear in mind, we were in the restaurant before the other two cops.

A glare is a prolonged glance, devoid of emotion as a means of notating one's purpose, persuasion, or presence. In this case, that he was aware we were there. Nothing of mal intent, purely just his job. He continued about his meal and coffee while reading the paper. He is a non-issue.

The waitress was talking to them at the table, quietly, and she came over only to ask me why I was standing. She was nervous, and returned to the table with the cops after I responded. Someone whom is nervous generally does not approach without reasoning. She initiated conversation with the same officer that supposedly sent her over. It's deductive reasoning.

The police are not infallible. They are not devoid of egotistical persuasion, especially being that they are in a position of empowerment amongst the population. I'm not some tin foil hat weirdo, and generally I am supportive of the police. This was a situation where I felt singled out and overly burdened by his curiosity, and his final comment cemented my ideology.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nice breakfast at Jim's? Head on over to the Magnolia Pancake House, you'll never eat the crap Jim's gives you again. Great food, great service, and no annoying 30.06 signs.

I was not driving, so I was not at liberty of suggestion a place so far out of the way. I also prefer Katz's and Kirby Lane to Jim's.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.

You never know, maybe this guy had been putting up with a lot of BS from other 20-something youy men all day and gave you an attitude (undeserved of course). It's kind of like when someone complains about Gun shop employees and their attitudes. Just because the employee has had a bad day, doesn't make him an A$$h@!e. The next time you come across that same employee, he maybe the best salesperson you have ever talked to. Police like the rest of us are human and can make a mistake. Just my $.02

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You never know, maybe this guy had been putting up with a lot of BS from other 20-something youy men all day and gave you an attitude (undeserved of course). It's kind of like when someone complains about Gun shop employees and their attitudes. Just because the employee has had a bad day, doesn't make him an A$$h@!e. The next time you come across that same employee, he maybe the best salesperson you have ever talked to. Police like the rest of us are human and can make a mistake. Just my $.02

Maybe, I'm not holding any grudge. I just didn't like his demeanor that day. He could be very good at what he does, hell he could be the best cop on APD's payroll, but my experience was not very positive.

I'm not about to go writing my congressmen about it. It's a minor deal, I just made a thread about it because I was tired and a bit frustrated about it.

I would like to know why his stripes were white outlined instead of red. I'm assuming it's some form of taskforce ID?

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    The cop should have minded his own damn business... I don't see why anyone would have cause for concern about anything that happened. Now if all of them requested separate tables, cased the bathrooms, and all exits maybe there should have been cause for alarm.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The cop should have minded his own damn business... I don't see why anyone would have cause for concern about anything that happened. Now if all of them requested separate tables, cased the bathrooms, and all exits maybe there should have been cause for alarm.

LOL... Jason I bet the police have your house on constant surveillance. ;)

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Here's another point of view (I'm sure all of us could come up with at least 3): With all the wierd things that happen every now and then, maybe he wanted to make sure you didn't have a shotgun stuck down your pants? He was waiting for your response to her question to see if he thought they should 'check' you out a little more. I don't know, since I wasn't there.

Top Bottom