• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acidfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2021
    Kanagawa Japan
    New to this forum and looking for some info. I was born and raised in Texas City, left years ago for the military, bounced around and currently live in Japan as a DOD civilian. I have another 3 - 4 years here and am going to try to finally get back home but in the San Antonio area. I'm going to be looking for some land to build a house, in Washington state you had to have a minimum of 5 acres to shoot on. What is the law in Texas mainly around San Antonio?
    Capitol Armory ad

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Howdy and welcome to the forum. I did some time in WA state, too, and then finally back to the homeland. We are near SA on about 11 acres. I recall 10 acres, also. Check local laws. And don't get any closer to SA than you need to be. It's a liberal pit.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'd like to read the law(s) that govern the size of the property one can shoot on. I don't think the state has any specific law. Counties and cities might have some statutes. Can anyone site one or more of the laws? Thanks!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    BRD nailed it. Although 10 acres has historically been the typical minimum the bigger issue is making sure no bullets cross your property lines. True during hunting season as well.

I still cringe every time a hear a ricochet when shooting at a friend's family farm. It's over 50 acres. We shoot at downhill angles with berms and rising topography behind but it still bugs me every time.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Howdy and welcome to the forum. I did some time in WA state, too, and then finally back to the homeland. We are near SA on about 11 acres. I recall 10 acres, also. Check local laws. And don't get any closer to SA than you need to be. It's a liberal pit.
    I think you are being bit unfair to San Antonio by calling it a liberal pit. I think it is just a pit.

acidfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2021
    Kanagawa Japan

Can't be worse than Austin. If I do end up there i'll be working on the base, I don't want to live in the city i'll be looking for something to the west for hills and trees.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can't be worse than Austin. If I do end up there i'll be working on the base, I don't want to live in the city i'll be looking for something to the west for hills and trees.

Which installation, because they are spread to the four winds. I’m originally from central TX, went to school in San Angelo, did the career thing retired from AD in 2016.

We live in an unincorporated area of Bexar County near the Kendall County line, I work for a large financial services provider you probably know the name of and my wife is a DoD civilian assigned to Kelly Field. Her commute (until they approved telework last spring) is 29mi each way thru downtown SAT. If she went to Randolph, it would be about the same distance on the parking lot known as 1604 and push her commute time from 35-45 mins to 75-90 mins.

The oft-cited (and usually incorrectly interpreted) Texas Local Government Code addresses what authority a municipality has to regulate the discharge of a firearm, which means the answer to your question lies in the county you end up in. I recommend you read the code to gain an understanding of the limited power local .govs have in unincorporated areas.

Due diligence also will mean research as to whether covenants or deed restrictions apply as well.

Also, just because you can safely and legally discharge a firearm on your property doesn’t keep a shitty neighbor from ruining a good thing. Hopefully @TX OMFS will drop and share his experience even though he’s done pretty much everything right here in the Bexar county area.

acidfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2021
    Kanagawa Japan
    Which installation, because they are spread to the four winds. I’m originally from central TX, went to school in San Angelo, did the career thing retired from AD in 2016.

We live in an unincorporated area of Bexar County near the Kendall County line, I work for a large financial services provider you probably know the name of and my wife is a DoD civilian assigned to Kelly Field. Her commute (until they approved telework last spring) is 29mi each way thru downtown SAT. If she went to Randolph, it would be about the same distance on the parking lot known as 1604 and push her commute time from 35-45 mins to 75-90 mins.

The oft-cited (and usually incorrectly interpreted) Texas Local Government Code addresses what authority a municipality has to regulate the discharge of a firearm, which means the answer to your question lies in the county you end up in. I recommend you read the code to gain an understanding of the limited power local .govs have in unincorporated areas.

Due diligence also will mean research as to whether covenants or deed restrictions apply as well.

Also, just because you can safely and legally discharge a firearm on your property doesn’t keep a shitty neighbor from ruining a good thing. Hopefully @TX OMFS will drop and share his experience even though he’s done pretty much everything right here in the Bexar county area.

Thanks for the response, as to what base I have no idea. I'll have to apply to jobs as they pop up and hopefully get hired. I have return rights back to my previous position in Washington state but I absolutely do not want to go back there.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Thanks @toddnjoyce. I'll find the two threads I started about shooting on my property in Bexar Co & link them. I'm still trying to get running water at my house so I haven't been as active here. SOB

Anyway, the short answer is 10 acres if you are outside of city limits AND live in a defined subdivision. If, like me, you're in an unincorporated area in the county and NOT in a subdivision, you can have a MG shoot if you like.

All rounds MUST stay on your property no matter your situation.

...Until your neighbor calls the sheriff everytime.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    @acidfly, here's one of the threads Todd and I were discussing. It has all the info & links.

acidfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2021
    Kanagawa Japan
    @acidfly, here's one of the threads Todd and I were discussing. It has all the info & links.

That was a good read, lot of good info. Whatever happened with the neighbor?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom