• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polished Rock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Austin Texas
    Wilkommen Stefan!
    I've had the pleasure of hosting several German exchange students over the years and consider them all family.
    And yes, Texas has a strong native contingent of Germans. Although, as you know, they don't quite get the gun thing here.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Thanks for the great feedback

@shortround

I live in Friedberg and I'm not Mr. Friedberg so call me Stefan because that's my first name. "I am German, and every German I knew had guns" - don't get me wrong but the fact is most of the germans have no guns but maybe you just met the right people ;)

Ich wollte einfach nur meine Waffen aufzählen und bin davon ausgegangen das die meisten hier in dem Forum sicherlich mehr als 3 Waffen besitzen und wollte desshalb nur kurz erwähnen dass das für deutsche Verhältnisse eine angemessene Zahl ist da hier generell nicht so viele Waffenbesitzer leben. Vielleicht kam die Botschaft durch meine mäßigen Englischkenntnisse falsch an dann war dies aber nicht so beabsichtigt.

Es isst gut. Sie sind bie uns herzlich eingeladen.

Meine Deutsche Freunde waren sehr beindrucked wie wir hier in Texas mit Waffen umgehen duerfen ohne Bedrohung von die Behoerden. Die Schuetzen hatten viel Spass am Schiessplatz!

Servus!

theGerman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    Friedberg (Germany)
    @bwalker
    Hi Stefan, welcome to TGT. Isn't Nürnberg where the high-performance automotive test track is at? Like several others here I too have ancestors from Germany. Mine lived in Sachsen. I don't know if that is anywhere near you though. BTW, I just started acquiring guns so you've got me out-gunned (but hopefully, not for long.) ;)

[FONT=&amp]No Nürnberg is a big town in the central of Frankonia (north of bavaria). I think you guys write it Nuremberg (Nuremberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The high performance test track is called “Nürburgring” (Nürburgring – Wikipedia) has nothing to do with the town and is located in a total different state but yeah it sounds a little bit the same [/FONT];)
    [FONT=&amp]Sachsen is in east Germany but I’m living in the west of Germany.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]@[/FONT][FONT=&amp]tx_transplant[/FONT]
    Welcome aboard. I am familiar with "your" area of germany. I spent 3 years there in the army split between Bamberg and Wertheim (not too far from Wurzberg). My son was born in Wurzberg, too. I'm hoping and planning to go to a reunion at my old station of assignment at Peden Barracks in Wertheim next summer.

I didn’t know that there is an army base located. Is it a small one because I only knew about us bases in Bamberg, Würzburg and Schweinfurt when I was living there in 2004 to 2005. I was living for 2 years in Gaibach a small village between Würzburg and Schweinfurt. A friend of mine told me that his mom was working as a barber in the us base in Schweinfurt that was one of the reasons why he had such cool american candy stuff like hot tamales or atomic fireballs (I like the cinnamon candy stuff sadly you only get here big red buble gum and that’s it). I asked my friend if it’s possible to visit the us base but he told me that after 9/11 there is no chance for tourists like me to see a us base from inside. So the only thing you can do here is listen to AFN to get a little bit of a feeling what is going on inside theses bases but to catch the real atmosphere I believe you have to work there like my friends mom. I’ll find it a little bit interesting because as you know these us bases are like a town in a town. You have the us culture (the cheap patrol, the special food, …) in your base and outside the base the german culture (like the small pubs, …).

@[FONT=&amp]TXARGUY[/FONT]
    Welcome to the forum!

I lived in Friedberg for 4 years back in the early '90s. Then moved to Butzbach and eventually to a little town called Kirchgoens.

I spent a lot of time exploring your area. We used to pack up a backpack full of beer and sit on the wall of Friedberg castle (schloss?) at night.

I had a crazy girlfriend who lived in Brandoberndorf. I'd imagine she's still crazy. Made a lot of good friends during my time in Germany and had a lot of fun.

My favorite beer is still Licher Export even though I can't get it in Texas and haven't had it in years.
    The castle in Friedberg is called “Burg” and yeah I know exactly what you’re meaning sitting on the wall with a cold beer in your hand and talking with with your friends on a nice summernight is a little piece of the paradise on earth (when I’m writing this the memories and feelings from last year are coming through my head).
    So you are one of the guys that worked here in the us base in Friedberg. Sadly I have to tell you they closed the base in 2007. I came to Friedberg in 2011 and often I’m riding with my bike around the US Base. The base itself is still closed and protected by a private security company – sadly it’s not allowed for people to walk there (don’t know why) but the place where the US houses are build (the living district for the US Soldiers) is completely open and often I’m riding with my bike there because I like the atmosphere. Evrything is closed there and there is an old bus station, a playground and all the numbered houses which looks all the same and when it’s late you think you are going through a ghost town (would be a cool place for a zombie movie ;) so it’s a little bit scary but also very fascinating.
    Licher is a very common beer here in this area but to be honest you get better stuff especially in Bavaria but it’s not bad I’ll drink it if someone gives me a bottle. To my mind in Germany you get the best beer in the south and the worst beer in the north but that’s just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom