• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    As the title says, I am from Texas City. I am a widower and live alone with a small dog. I am an Air Force veteran. Went in 1968, got out in 1989. I have sold or traded most of my long guns. Still have a .22 rifle that I got for Christmas in 1955. Now it is mostly pistols and an old Smith&Wesson 28-2 that I inherited when my Dad passed away. I don't post much, more of a lurker. My hobbies are camping and fishing.
    SANY0791.JPG

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Welcome!
    I grew up just east of Houston and was always intrigued by the details of the Texas City disaster.
    We went to church with a man who had lost his father in the second explosion (The High Flyer?) All they ever found was his boot.
    I recall going to the Texas City Dike and seeing the huge propeller, missing one blade, displayed at the City Park. IIRC, the propeller was recovered over a mile from where the ship exploded. It is considered the worst industrial accident in US history.
    My father was living in Baytown at the time of the explosion and recounted hearing the sonic boom from the explosion - about 35-40 miles away.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom