• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    I was skeptical when I first bought this pistol caliber carbine from Hi Point but after many successful range visits I am pleased with its performance. The AIM 4X30 scope has many features and is extremely accurate up to one-hundred yards. This particular model is chambered for .40 S&W which combines the velocity of a 9mm with the stopping power of a .45 ACP. These higher velocities make it a great pistol caliber carbine round. I painted the muzzle break and receiver black with a few coats of enamle.
    It has a single-point Winchester sling that is really comfortable and a Center-point laser that is easy to adjust. The flashlight is also by AIM a company distributed through Hi Point. It also has the extra dual magazine holder on the butt-stock. I did have a bent firing pin (still not sure how it got bent) and Hi Point sent me a new one with firing springs for free. Pleasant company to order stuff from with good customer service.
    I plan on doing some hunting later this fall hopefully not long from now. I am think deer and hogs but I am not sure what the caliber minimum requirement is for rifles in TX. The paper target is at 75 yards.

IMG_0263-1.jpg

IMG_0178-1-1.jpg
    Texas SOT

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Wish I could say the same. I've got the .45 version. First time to the range, 100 rnds went fine except for trigger feel. Felt like there was sand in there.

Took it out a couple of days ago and it started to FTE & FTF. Haven't tried to figure out why yet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, i agree, the flyers in that group would mean a less than humane kill, possibly from a closer range but still borderline on the .40 without very good shot placement.

Still, congrats on the new gun, looks like alot of fun.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    First time to the range, 100 rnds went fine except for trigger feel. Felt like there was sand in there.

Took it out a couple of days ago and it started to FTE & FTF. Haven't tried to figure out why yet.

I am not sure what to tell you about the trigger, for me it works fine. This isn't a Beretta and its cheap so there are a few rough spots here and there but nothing major. I did clean mine and it was very dirty from the factory that might help also along with some lube. I would make sure your magazine are all the way in if these have one weakness its the magazines and magazine assembly.

As for hunting I would feel comfortable hunting anything under 150 pounds with this. The scope is zeroed at 75 yards and I wouldn't take a shot any farther than 100 yards, so size of the animal would have to be taken into consideration. Medium sized hogs and deer should be ok I would hope.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The sand comment was an exaggeration. I was trying to say the trigger action is pretty rough straight out of the box. It has smoothed out a little.

When the FTE/FTFs started, I did infact switch mags, twice. The issue continued. When the mags were full and half full.

The last timeout, some guy semi-excitedly asked what it was. "A butt ugly Hi-Point, but so far I like it". It's mine, I can call it ugly if I want to. You can't. :-)

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    If Hi-point made these things less ugly and accept Glock Magazines, it would sell like hot cakes.

Well if you think these new TS (Tactical Stock) models are ugly then the first gen looks like the monkey gun from Planet of the Apes. Its a HUGE improvement, at least they are attempting to make this new model some what "attractive." I had the old 9mm when I was a teenager and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then I saw these new ones at a gun show I had to get one.

995carbinedq7.gif

jugman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    willis
    I have the 9mm and it is a hoot to shoot and very accurate with the peep site. And 9mm ammo don`t break the bank for a little target practice. A friend of mine said that Hi Point has the very best lifetime warranty and customer service in the industry. He dropped his off the 4 wheeler at the deer camp and broke the front sight off of his. He called Hi Point to see how much another one would cost and they said give me your address and we`ll send you one at no cost. To me that is going above and beyond the point of responsability. I love mine and shoot it all the time here at home. You just can`t beat them for a $250. carbine in my opinion. Just keep it oiled and it will spit brass as fast as you can pull the trigger all day long. The 9mm pistol isn`t bad either for $150.00. A little heavy but very accurate.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I like those carbines. But the low capacity turns me off to them. Especially given the availabilty of high capacity Glock mags for the Sub2000.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    I like those carbines. But the low capacity turns me off to them. Especially given the availabilty of high capacity Glock mags for the Sub2000.

Hi Point is planning on releasing extended factory mags for these later next year, a little secret not many know about. They made the magazines 10+1 to make them California/New York compliant. ProMag makes an extended mag for the 995TS(15+1). With the mag holder on the butt-stock and some practice, my magazine changes are about 2 1/2 seconds according to my range videos. That is 30 rounds down range in less than a few minutes without rapid firing.
    Realistically, you wont need more than 10 rounds for a self-defense weapon. The average shoot-out (in self-defense stories) is six rounds. It actually makes firing the gun a little more interesting because you take more time with your shots, which makes aiming better, instead of just rapid firing 30 rounds in less than a minute like I can with my KG-99 with 32 count magazines :' )

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I got one in 45 ACP a few weeks ago and love it. It's accurate enough at 50 yards for self defense but I don't know that I'd take it hunting. It's not an issue with the accuracy, it's just that I'd like a cartridge with a little more range. The thing is just fun to shoot and since it has a blow back action I can shoot cast bullets and not worry about clogging a gas tube. As mentioned previously, the trigger is a little rough. I have only put 200 rounds (FMJ & cast) without a single failure.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    KelTec doesn't make a .45 carbine which is my caliber choice. Maybe next month I'll be able to swing a Kriss.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    What type of ammo (i.e., bullet type and powder load) do you plan on using?

Good question, I have been practicing with the Remington ShurShot .40 S&W 180-Grain Centerfire Pistol Ammunition (100 for $34):

Now for taking out a young Hog or Doe I would use these: Buffalo Boar Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 155 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point(1,300 fps/M.E. 582 ft. lbs.) - 20 Bullet Box

I would like to hunt with this carbine, but I have been doing some more research and I don't think this would be right for deer upon second thought. I do have an old 1943 Mosin-Nagant (7.62X54R) that would be better suited for deer, thing is it doesn't have a scope so I would have to use Iron sights.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Now for taking out a young Hog or Doe I would use these: Buffalo Boar Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 155 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point(1,300 fps/M.E. 582 ft. lbs.) - 20 Bullet Box

Unless you plan on punching a pig in the head, I would highly suggest a hardcast round over a JHP. Hit a hog in the armor plate with a JHP and you're taking a big chance at not having enough penetration to put him down. The .40S&W would actually be more effective on small deer than hogs, but ethically, the 7.62x54R round would be a better choice for both hogs and deer.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I would like to hunt with this carbine, but I have been doing some more research and I don't think this would be right for deer upon second thought.
    Keep it inside 75yds and you should be fine. Shot placement is going to be much more critical than if you were using a rifle caliber.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Ive used my 9mm hipoint carbine on whitetail deer... works great. Shot mine at about 50 yards with a head shot using a red dot.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    If they took glock mags I would run out and buy one right away. I may buy one anyway. I really like the stock in the pic. A guy was shooting one next to me at the range the other day, and he looked to be having alot of fun. Glock mags would be the shit.

Top Bottom