• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Better job on music in the background. Looks like you're wearing a lapel mic, if so, great, but the vocals are still hard to hear.

That, and like someone else pointed out, get better targets. Those are REALLY cheap and tearing vs. getting clean holes.

Siarsenal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Better job on music in the background. Looks like you're wearing a lapel mic, if so, great, but the vocals are still hard to hear.

That, and like someone else pointed out, get better targets. Those are REALLY cheap and tearing vs. getting clean holes.

Mreed,

Yes sir understand those Targets were provided by Calibers and thanks for the comments, by the way no lapel mic just a different filter on the audio and As some do not understand the music is helping to deading the air circulation that is running for the sound and smoke issues from what I understand alot of indoor ranges do this for the simple fact that way when you got 20 guys shooting you don't inhale all the gunpowder smoke, Still working on the Mic

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Vast improvement over your first video. You've dialed the music back to a much more appropriate level which really helps the viewer stay focused on the subject matter. There are still some distractions and definitely room for improvement which I will address next but first I have to say that when you first joined the forum and posted your first video, I, along with what I suspect would be a whole lot of other members, couldn't quite figure out what you were up to.

We're you trying to be funny? Was it supposed to be a parody video? (oh Please God make a parody video of James Yeager! You would be perfect! Don't take that as an insult, you'd make a lot of friends here) Or, were you just trolling?
    But you took the abuse (light hearted) you received in stride and followed up with your second video which was a slight improvement over the first but far funnier and even more ridiculous at points. The shot count issue was a real snafu which took away credibility because it gave the viewer the impression or suspicion that the video had been edited to cover up a malfunction, among other things but there was definite improvement in certain areas. You took more abuse (ribbing) and it was clear by some of your responses that you were letting the abuse for the most part roll off your back and that you were focusing on responding to feedback.
    This third video shows that you are actually taking our feedback and attempting to find ways to implement the suggestions in your process. I respect that.

* A word on Internet Tough Guy Syndrome - Everyone on TGT has it. Even the most revered TXARGUY has it. The Syndrome is like a virus. Some people, the first group, are carriers, you never really see the symptoms in them personally but somehow they have a talent for spreading it to those around them. Others, the second group, are fully infected by the virus and it shows in pretty much everything they bang out on their keyboard. Those fully infected individuals tend to eventually be noticed and quarantined through being ignored by other less symptomatic members, shunned and ostracized by the group (which tends to increase the symptoms of the fully infected individual leading to many LMAOs), and eventual ban from the forum (which typically is simply a temporary inoculation for the forum in general but does nothing to treat the infection in the individual). And yet others, the third group into which the majority of TGT including TXARGUY fits, are fully infected but in remission most of the time. Individuals in this third group will be looked upon for advice, be seen as pretty good guys and will be pretty laid back. Most of the time. But, sometimes the infection gets the best of them and comes roaring back with a vengeance leaving much Butthurt and WTFs in its wake. These relapse periods can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days but eventually remission sets back in and the group moves on. So, it is important to your Internet video creation and interaction goals that you understand Internet Tough Guy Syndrome, it's symptoms, and that we are ALL infected with it in one stage (group) or another.

Ok. Back on topic and I hope you're still with me; your third video and the subject of this thread.

Some things I noticed when watching the video that you may want to address in future productions:

1.) Your videos begin with the badass intro in full stereo and high quality sound which is great, keep doing that. Where it gets rough is the second you start rolling your footage. The sound goes mono and the sound quality goes to shit. This is very distracting. It may not be noticed so much by viewers watching on their phones using their phone's speakers but is very noticeable on headsets and Bluetooth systems. Your mic set up is killing you. I don't know exactly how you're setting up but I suspect that you have a single stand alone mic somewhere near the camera or you are using the camera's built in mic (which you should never do). The set up you are using now doesn't sync time wise with the action. Your mouth movements are not synced with your vocals, the gun sounds are not synced with the motion. And there is no volume control between actions which makes you at times very hard to understand and the gun to be way too loud and echoey.
    Ideally you should be using a throat mic for your commentary, a rear mic (real mic with a filter on a stand separate from the but close to the camera position) for continuity of sound and a third well filtered mic specifically for the gun. Your shooter should be wearing a throat mic as well for reasons I will get to in #3.
    All of your mics should feed into a mixer where volume and clarity can be controlled on the fly as the action on camera unfolds (your going to need a dedicated guy with a nice quality, full ear headset this job).

2.) Your scripting is terrible. You want it to look as live as possible but your presentation is very rough. There are a whole lot of pauses in your commentary where it looks like you are working on figuring out what you want to say and how you want to say it which is very distracting to the viewer and detracts from the subject matter and from the viewer's confidence in your expertise on the subject matter. All of your commentary should be scripted and practiced (1000 times if necessary) beforehand and off camera until your commentary is one free flowing and masterful presentation that leaves the viewer saying 'damn! I like this guy! He knows what the hell he's talking about'. Your presentation is a skill that you are going to have to practice over and over again and hone over time OFF CAMERA.

3.) If you're going to have a second guy in frame in the video with you he should have a role in addition to just pulling the trigger. You need to interact with him (which is why I said in #1 that he should be wearing a throat mic as well) and he, the shooter, should be providing commentary and feedback to the viewer being the one who is actually holding, operating and firing the weapon which is supposed to be the entire focus and purpose of the video.
    Introduce your shooter, tell the viewer a little about him and his qualifications (very brief, don't wanna waste too much time here and lose your viewers interest), then he says 'hi' or something along that line then continue on.

4.) Focus on the gun! In your entire video the actual gun and subject matter of the production is hidden from the viewer because the shooter's back is turned to the viewer and his arms are extended in front of him essentially building a wall of flesh and shirt between the viewer's point of view and the gun.
    The gun should have it's own dedicated camera forward of the shooter's body but behind the gun. The gun camera can be placed at angles looking down range or from either side. Learn to shoot slow motion video with the gun camera; viewers love watching gun action/function in slow-mo but use it sparingly, an entire video filled with slow-mo gets old fast.

5. The shot count timing is off. The count should appear on screen after the shot, not before. This is an easy fix.

If you have any questions on setup, need product or software recommendations or anything else just let me know.
    I also have several buddies who have made their careers in video production, television and movies who are very good at what they do. I'm positive that they wouldn't mind talking with you and giving you some professional tips and advice. Let me know if you'd like me to put you in touch with one of them.

Good luck and keep us updated.

You have a new subscriber on YouTube btw.

Last edited:

Siarsenal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    TXARGUY,
    Your response is awesome especially This "* A word on Internet Tough Guy Syndrome - Everyone on TGT has it. Even the most revered TXARGUY has it. The Syndrome is like a virus. Some people, the first group, are carriers, you never really see the symptoms in them personally but somehow they have a talent for spreading it to those around them. Others, the second group, are fully infected by the virus and it shows in pretty much everything they bang out on their keyboard. Those fully infected individuals tend to eventually be noticed and quarantined through being ignored by other less symptomatic members, shunned and ostracized by the group (which tends to increase the symptoms of the fully infected individual leading to many LMAOs), and eventual ban from the forum (which typically is simply a temporary inoculation for the forum in general but does nothing to treat the infection in the individual). And yet others, the third group into which the majority of TGT including TXARGUY fits, are fully infected but in remission most of the time. Individuals in this third group will be looked upon for advice, be seen as pretty good guys and will be pretty laid back. Most of the time. But, sometimes the infection gets the best of them and comes roaring back with a vengeance leaving much Butthurt and WTFs in its wake. These relapse periods can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days but eventually remission sets back in and the group moves on. So, it is important to your Internet video creation and interaction goals that you understand Internet Tough Guy Syndrome, it's symptoms, and that we are ALL infected with it in one stage (group) or another."
    It had me rolling, As far as most production issues you speak of Isaac and I both understand most of it, We actually work at a Christian TV station in Albuquerque.
    We have the use of Adobe 6.0 for editing software but are using a smart phone and a tripod that is the extent of our equipment. This project was actually started off the cuff when I was out shooting my AR ( for the first time) at a 4H skeet range around Whiteface TX with my son. I asked my friend who is no camera man to start taping. And I brought the footage back to the studio and we said "hey let's try it." and Ta da S&I Arsenal was born, Yes the ribbing was good for us to see what the gun community wants because I am just a family guy who enjoys weapons and my family, also I am 52 years old so most stuff rolls of my back, but I am willing to listen to someone who is at least trying to be respectful. I really apperciate the James Yeager comment as well. I apperciate all your feedback and as this progressses I will more then likely implement quite a few of your suggestions because you seem very knowlegdable. ( shooting these videos in the field is much different then a studio 3 camera shoot which is mostly static camera angles.) also postion of the camera is something that needs work. I really REEEALLY want to pick up a small mic but we are low budget at moment!!(in fact today is payday WOOHOOO!) LOL but we are working on things. Again TXARGUY thanks for the input and the subscription. I look forward to more interaction

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't want to watch the back of your head. If you can't show the gun then zoom on the target.

profound thinking about stuff

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This should be a sticky on the front page of the forum. lol

* A word on Internet Tough Guy Syndrome - Everyone on TGT has it. Even the most revered TXARGUY has it. The Syndrome is like a virus. Some people, the first group, are carriers, you never really see the symptoms in them personally but somehow they have a talent for spreading it to those around them. Others, the second group, are fully infected by the virus and it shows in pretty much everything they bang out on their keyboard. Those fully infected individuals tend to eventually be noticed and quarantined through being ignored by other less symptomatic members, shunned and ostracized by the group (which tends to increase the symptoms of the fully infected individual leading to many LMAOs), and eventual ban from the forum (which typically is simply a temporary inoculation for the forum in general but does nothing to treat the infection in the individual). And yet others, the third group into which the majority of TGT including TXARGUY fits, are fully infected but in remission most of the time. Individuals in this third group will be looked upon for advice, be seen as pretty good guys and will be pretty laid back. Most of the time. But, sometimes the infection gets the best of them and comes roaring back with a vengeance leaving much Butthurt and WTFs in its wake. These relapse periods can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days but eventually remission sets back in and the group moves on. So, it is important to your Internet video creation and interaction goals that you understand Internet Tough Guy Syndrome, it's symptoms, and that we are ALL infected with it in one stage (group) or another...

Top Bottom