• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    You can see it with none cant you? the bullet splitting the air makes a mirage behind it. Ive see it on days with no mirage anyway.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Cody you're standing 4-5' above the muzzle, are you saying you can see the bullet in flight?

I could see the splash on the target and the target swing. You really need a sunny day so you can see the light reflecting off the turbulent air to see the bullet in flight. That day was overcast, so the only feedback I get is bullet splash and target movement or dust from the backstop.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Interesting stuff on bullet flight guys, thanks.

I could see the splash on the target and the target swing.
    So you had already seen the above, THEN said "that's solid" and next we heard the hit, correct?
    If so, that took a long time for sound to travel .. lol

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So you had already seen the above, THEN said "that's solid" and next we heard the hit, correct?
    If so, that took a long time for sound to travel .. lol

It takes to bullet about 2 1/2 seconds to get to the target at that range, so it's definitely a long time to wait for the sound to get back.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    9asuty9u.jpg

So this would qualify? Ignore the fourth shot. That's my buddy and his improper target etiquette.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    1" squares yes @ 100 yds eitu no wind and i was feeling good.

It is related! Trying to see how much more practice I need to risk embarrassing myself less.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think I might finally try the rifle end of the range this time and go for qualification. Out of curiousity, do you qualify each trip to the range or once you qualify are you okay for a certain length of time?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It's each trip. JD has no way of knowing what happened to your gun while you were away from the range. You could have completely taken it apart and rebuilt it, put a new scope on it, dropped it out of a moving car while going down the highway-who knows. So you need to qualify with each gun, each day so that he can see the gun is accurate that day before you go off shooting at the long range. Make sense?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It's each trip. JD has no way of knowing what happened to your gun while you were away from the range. You could have completely taken it apart and rebuilt it, put a new scope on it, dropped it out of a moving car while going down the highway-who knows. So you need to qualify with each gun, each day so that he can see the gun is accurate that day before you go off shooting at the long range. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense and I assumed as much. Just like to play devil's advocate anytime something isn't clearly stated so that we get all the right info. You know that if nobody asks there is always that one guy that will show up the next trip assuming he's good to go since he qualified once upon a time.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Good question TW, Added to the OP:

Qualifying is required each day prior to long range shooting

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, I was watching that exchange.

So it stands to reason bi-pods, sandbags or anything to stabilize the weapon are allowed too, both during qualifying and at the long range area.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yep, I've known the bipods were good to go, because they're used 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is a rifle resting on a sandbag. Youngguns comment about the sleds is what threw me off.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Added to the OP:

Use of a bi-pod, sandbags, sled, and other stabilizing devices is allowed during both qualifying and long range shooting

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Added to the OP:

Use of a bi-pod, sandbags, sled, and other stabilizing devices is allowed during both qualifying and long range shooting

Wait so I've been practicing standing and shooting a 10 lb gun at 600 yds for nothing?? Now you tell me.

Top Bottom