• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ETA: This section of Hicksville is closed indefinitely.

Hicksville 200-600 yard range qualifying

In order to shoot in the long range area:
    • Qualifying is done on the 100yd range
    • Qualifying is required each day prior to long range shooting
    • You must qualify with each firearm you plan to shoot long range
    • You do not have to own the firearm you qualify with
    • You must make 3 consecutive hits on the 2" target shown below, breaking the edge counts
    • Use of a bi-pod, sandbags, sled, and other stabilizing devices is allowed during both qualifying and long range shooting
    • Range staff has final approval for each qualifying shooter / firearm combination

Good luck shooters!

longrangequalifytarget_zpsc69f3859.jpg

Additional Hicksville Gun Range rules may be added as required.

I was standing at the fence @75yds from the bench taking the following pictures:

Longrangeoverview_zps07dd12ea.jpg

longrangebench_zps1f898b18.jpg

You will pass the long range entrance a few hundred yards BEFORE you get to the main
    Hicksville Gun Range entrance

Longrangeentrance_zpse57a3054.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Where's the pics of the range?

You said you would take pictures of the range.

I don't see the pictures of the range you said you would take...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had to add to the other post, huh.

Great, now I'm gonna look like a idjit.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    think someone said the 600 yard range is all steel....can you even hear if you hit the target from that far away when you're wearing basic ear pro?

You can hear it loud and clear at 600 yards with pretty much anything you shoot at it. I've shot .223 up to 900 yards and heard it clearly. Here's a student of mine shooting a .308 at 1200 yards. You can clearly make out the hit, you may have to turn up the volume, but we could all hear it clearly in the field:

Now, we were all wearing electronic muffs (Sordin for me and Howard Leight on everybody else) so with plugs it may be a bit tougher with everything else going on. The further away your hit is from the mounting point of the plate, the louder the ring.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Volume full blast but I couldn't disern the hit. Sorry speakers I guess .. lol.
    Thanks for the info Cody.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's fascinating to me how there's the report of the rifle, the verbal report of the spotter ("That's solid.") and THEN we hear the impact sound. I used to roll steel pigs with a .308 pistol at 400 yards for fun and I always used a heavy bullet (usually a 190 Hornady) because I wanted the pig to be invisible before I heard the clank. I can't really explain it but it's a very special kind of fun.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I had to play it back twice, but you can definitely hear it at :31
    WOW! I assumed the hit was the clatter/wind noise BEFORE the "that's solid" comment ... lol
    Yeah, can hear it plan as day.

Cody you're standing 4-5' above the muzzle, are you saying you can see the bullet in flight?

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    WOW! I assumed the hit was the clatter/wind noise BEFORE the "that's solid" comment ... lol
    Yeah, can hear it plan as day.

Cody you're standing 4-5' above the muzzle, are you saying you can see the bullet in flight?

he could probably see the steel getting hit. the light traveling to his eye is traveling a lot faster than sound. The further the distance, the more time between what you see and what you hear.

Speed of Light: 299 792 458 m / s
    Speed of Sound: 340.29 m / s

Go to a thousand yards, hit steel, make a sandwich, then listen for the hit lol

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mind if I take a stab at that?

With 168s and a 900 yard zero, the midrange is over 100" above line of sight. That means that being 4 or 5 feet above the line of sight is pretty much the perfect height to observe bullet flight with minimal motion of the bullet relative to the line of sight. So, yeah, if the light is OK it's perfectly normal to watch bullets in flight in a situation like that.

When I was young and had good eyes, there was a silhouette range in Uvalde where, at the right time of year, the sun would get a bit behind you late in the day. Under those conditions, when it was clear, with a shooter using jacketed bullets, you could watch .44 Mag and .45LC projectiles in flight to the 200-yard rams with the naked eye. I was just a kid the first time I noticed it and I was transfixed by the phenomena. I sat there for competitor after competitor, watching bullets fly. It can be mesmerizing.

Now my eyes suck and I can't see the targets any more, never mind bullets in flight. Getting old sucks. ;)

Top Bottom