High $ 1911's

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by drj3828, Sep 23, 2009.

1. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I just got thru lookin at one of my newest gun magazines, and there was two articles about custom 1911's. What really get's me is that the price is always over 2grand! My question is who buy's these things I for one could not afford a 2K pistol. My $800 dollar kimber shoots better than me. So what could one get out of owning one of these.
    They claim tight fitting slide to frame and all the other bells and whistles, but back in the days everybody want a sloppy fit 1911 for reliablilty purposes, my kimber jams if not cleaned on a regular basis, but my RIA works no matter what. And as far as accuracy I can hit a man size target at fifty yards with both. So what is the big deal with these high dollar pistols is it just a status thing or what?
    just my 2 cents worth so flame away!

drj:icon_popcorn:

2. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    This subject has been gone over many times in this section. Its really pretty simple. If you can afford a Wilson, buy one, but you dont NEED one. 90% of all shooters would not be able to tell the difference between a Nighthawk and a Kimber. Its the same thing with rifles. If you can buy an out of the box Remington 700 and shoot 1" groups at 100 yards or buy a $4000 Dakota that will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards, what have you accomplished? Nothing unless you are punching paper for money. That deer at 200 yards is going to be just as dead with either one of them.

3. Flight954

Flight954 Active Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    I owned a slightly used Les Baer and it was a noticeably different shooter, more accurate and less problematic than the Kimbers I had. The only 1911 that has come close to the Baer at a decent price is my Colt Gold Cup Trophy

4. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    For some people, the value just isnt there.

For a civilian that shoots once or twice a year, a high dollar gun might not seem worth it.

For a competition shooter who needs to eek out the most accuracy he can, then the tightly fitted gun will be worth it.

For the HSLD dudes, a more reliable, but still accurate enough gun will be worth the money.

And then there's the guys that just want nice things. Or the guys that want what noone else has.

The people that need it, will have it, regardless of cost.

5. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I admit ah don't need it....but then again I don't need the other 19 .45's ah have, either....but I love 'em!! Then again, I figger Barack ain't got 'em neither....life is good!

Sentinel.gif

6. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    My 1911 is in the Springfield Loaded demographic. I am not capable of out-shooting that gun, let alone an all out custom. If I had the means would I buy a Wilson/Baer/NH/whatever? Hell yeah!

What I see in those guns in craftsmanship. Would you rather have a Holland Holland single shot or a Ruger No.1? Both will kill game the same.

7. TexasRedneck

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let's just say that ah'm kinda known fer bein' the type to look at 50 things before buying one......I'm always on the lookout for a decent deal, keep my "toy money" on a very tight leash! You'd be amazed at how little I've got in that Wilson - it was a "horse trade".

8. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    pride of ownership.

everyone has their own money pit. for some its cars, others its clothes or shoes.. hookers and drugs, and for the rest its guns.

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Win the lottery and you won't have to choose!

10. TexasRedneck

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    What's to choose? My wife shoots - "hookers" is NOT an option!:mad0079: