• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    sorry to mess with the thread, but what kind of sites do you use? I have a hard time at 25 yards. My eyes aren't perfect, but I'm still 24 years old. I can do pretty well at aiming in the middle of the blur. . . . but no way in hades that I'm making even close to that kind of groups.

Texas42, I shot that with iron sights (Bo-Mar rib). Most guys use a red dot in Bullseye, but I've always shot iron sights, since that's what you have to use in CMP matches. I'm 60 and had cataract surgery in 1999 due to a clear cataract that was causing double vision in my shooting eye. They were able to correct my vision to 20/25 but I do wear tri-focals for reading, close-up stuff, so I have some shooting glasses that have the tri-focal lens in the top so I can focus on the front sight. Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time, so in Bullseye it's the front sight, so the target and rear sight are slightly fuzzy.

Part of the problem could be the sights you have on your pistol. Shooting center mass, you might (if they're aren't already) going to a dot system where there's a white dot on the front sight and two dots on the rear sight to help you line them up. After that it's all trigger control and practice. I've been shooting Bullseye since 1974 so I've got lots of rounds downrange.
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Geez - sounds like envy to me. What's it to you (or anyone else) what I tote inside my waistband to protect me and mine? Yeah - I carry a Wilson. I have a safe full of other 45's - from Randalls to Colts, Kimbers to HK's, Sigs to High Standard. I like 'em. I drive an '08 Ford F150 Lariat CC pickup....that's paid for. Wife drives an '08 Caddy 6 months from payoff. The house is 6 years old, an' 4 years from payoff. If I want a 3k gun and can afford it, so what? It's not about ego - I'm actually more please with the High Standard Compact Crusader than the Wilson - but the Wilson is the one I'm gonna bet my life on. You have tools that cost 6 times what others would - but (as you correctly point out) you use them. I submit to you that you'd be better served with the most reliable gun available to you than one that's "more economical" - but you choose cheaper. And that's fine - it's your choice. Notice I don't cast aspersions on you for your personal choice. Why do that to others????

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    BOTTOM LINE :

If you have the resources to purchase the high $ guns, then go for it ! Just don't think that the MONEY will make you THAT much more accurate.

The less costly firearm will STILL DO THE JOB. The bad guy or the deer won't care about a 4" group or a 2" group. DEAD is DEAD !

The high dollar is not gonna make you a GREAT shot if you are only average. Only practice will do that.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    BOTTOM LINE :

If you have the resources to purchase the high $ guns, then go for it ! Just don't think that the MONEY will make you THAT more accurate.

The less costly firearm will STILL DO THE JOB. The bad guy or the deer won't care about a 4" group or a 2" group. DEAD is DEAD !

The high dollar is not gonna make you a GREAT shot if you are only average. Only practice will do that.

Generally speaking, I agree. Me, I like the fit/finish of the higher-dollar guns. I might also add that none of my "high-dollar" guns were bought new by me....I let someone else take THAT hickey! Done right, and with patience, many of the expensive guns can be bought for the same money as the "cheaper" guns.

But it IS fun to see others worryin' 'bout me "wasting" my money.

For the record - I've got $550 in the Wilson Sentinel. How much did ya'll spend on your "more economical" guns? Oh - an' the High Standard? $200....

:p

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    BOTTOM LINE :

If you have the resources to purchase the high $ guns, then go for it ! Just don't think that the MONEY will make you THAT more accurate.

stating the obvious there bub....

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Generally speaking, I agree. Me, I like the fit/finish of the higher-dollar guns. I might also add that none of my "high-dollar" guns were bought new by me....I let someone else take THAT hickey! Done right, and with patience, many of the expensive guns can be bought for the same money as the "cheaper" guns.

But it IS fun to see others worryin' 'bout me "wasting" my money.

For the record - I've got $550 in the Wilson Sentinel. How much did ya'll spend on your "more economical" guns? Oh - an' the High Standard? $200....

:p

SOMETIMES you can find DEALS or DEALS find you ! SOME people are just lucky or patient. I am neither.

SOME people are just getting their first gun. I would rather have a cheaper weapon to protect myself, as opposed to a pocket full of cash, WAITING for a DEAL, and no way to protect the cash or myself.

Of course I too, have LOBSTER and STEAK taste, but sometimes have to settle for hamburger !

Now, I'm not saying go spend your money on a lead anchor. I am just sayin that it all just depends on YOUR situation.

Now that I have a pretty good collection, I usually SAVE up for the specific weapon I want and HOPE that I can "run across" one of those DEALS.

NOT DISAGREEING with you, just sayin that , like guns, EVERYONE is different.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Go back and read your post, especially the part about tools.

Snap on = Nighthawk
    Harbor freight = high standard

Some people actually NEED the better pistol/tool. Just because it isnt worth it to you, dosent mean it isnt worth it to someone else.

What gun does FBI HRT use? It's a $2000+ Springfield custom shop gun.

I can understand if some uses a high dollar pistol for competion shooting, I have seen on more than one instance where some shooter produced the custom 1911 and could not shoot a 4" group with a ransom rest! But then there where others shooting 2" with a mid priced pistol.
    The thing with expensive tools or toys is some times just a status thing I guess, kind of like folks hanging all the gagets on the AR. Kind of like we use to say in the Hot Rodding business " If it don't run chrome it".
    I am a mechanic by trade I own and USE some very expensive tools, but I use them every day also. I have friends who ask why do I buy Snap-On when I could go down to Sears and get Craftsman! Yes they have the same warranty but they just don't last like the others. So I guess if you are going to use a 1911 every day it is worth the high cost.
    But in the long run I still think it is more of a status thing for the average shooter.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I figured this post would strike a few nerves!
    I have owned a Wilson 1911, had it about one year. I was'nt that impressed with it as far as the overall cost, I mean yea it was a nice pistol well made and shot like a dream. I was younger then and could shoot better also because of better vision. Now that I am older and can not see as well as I could when I was in my 30's my other pistols will do.
    I do like like the little quote at the bottom of Mate's post:
    People think that being a world class shooter is so hard. Its not. Its just that 99.9% of people who own guns can't shoot

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    I just re-read my post and it sounds like I'm pissed off, I'm not at all. Just trying to prove a point.

Yeah, that quote is one of my favorites.

oldnbald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    I guess I'm just a poor relative. I can't even afford a Colt or S&W. My favorite two shooters are a Rock Island Combat Tactical and (don't laugh) a Llama MiniMax .45. There are some, maybe not great, but GOOD 1911's out there you can get without breaking the bank.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    status.
    IMHO.
    competition shooters probably being the exception.
    but the superfluous cosmetics....
    i dont see it personally.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    status.
    IMHO.
    competition shooters probably being the exception.
    but the superfluous cosmetics....
    i dont see it personally.

The trigger on the higher end guns is WORLDS better than say, a Kimber. That can make even a good shooter, shoot better. Less force your hand inputs on the gun the less it's going to move, especially under rapid fire.

My shots on my Glock are a full inch right because of the 8 lb. trigger in it. I shoot dead center with the lighter factory triggers.

The shots are effective, but for a sports shooter it's unacceptable.

Top Bottom