• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Tried to go today. Tried.

Traffic was absolute gridlock. Spent over half an hour trying to go from one light to the next. It was incomprehensible.

Tried coming at it from different angles but the traffic was obscene in all directions. Seriously, I'm talking two and three cars trying to fit in one lane.

And, lots and lots and lots of those cars were low-rider customized rigs, with the drivers and passengers hopping between cars and doing total burnouts while we were stuck. It was dangerous - we were literally bumper to bumper, three across, packed in like sardines, and guys were standing on the gas pedal to smoke their tires and others were standing next to them in the lanes to take video of it.

And this was a good mile away from the convention center; no telling what it would be like up close, so I bailed.

Turns out some scheduling genius at the convention center scheduled both the high caliber gun show and the lone star throw down for the same weekend at the same facility.

If you were planning on going I'd say don't bother, unless we get some members here with updated reports on whether they could get in.
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Uh, the gun show always fills the parking to capacity. How is there even room for another event?

I'd love to hear from someone who actually went (perhaps a dealer or employee who had to show up really early) who can explain what was shoehorned in where. I'm really curious about how the convention center folks *thought* things were supposed to work.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I'm really curious about how the convention center folks *thought* things were supposed to work.

Ha, Ha, you give them credit for having to think when doing their jobs, LOL.

They are paid to take as much money they can and fill their facilities calendar. They would probably schedule a NAMBLA convention and a cub scout jamboree on the same weekend if given the chance.

However, we were thinking about making the drive up tomorrow, so a report would be nice.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Stopped going to the Conroe shows a while back. Always over crowded and the aisles are way narrow. I did like the venue at The Woodlands a couple weeks ago.....

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The low-rider event was up at the fairgrounds, not where the gun show takes place. I went today and was astonished at how many cars were going to the fairgrounds. The show was well attended, but not packed at all.

Managed to score some Varget, which has been incredibly rare of late. My neighbor went with me and was looking for a particular FN pistol. Found a dealer who said he had one back at the store (near Atoscacita) but didn't bring it. Quoted a price. So we drove down to the store and sure enough, there was the pistol. Only the price is $70 higher. Neighbor had them call the owner and even made sure to tell him he was paying cash. Owner reneged on the previous quote and wouldn't budge on the price. We walked. I would pass along the name of the store, but I already tossed the guy's business card. I have no desire to do business with someone like that.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    The low-rider event was up at the fairgrounds, not where the gun show takes place. I went today and was astonished at how many cars were going to the fairgrounds. The show was well attended, but not packed at all.

Managed to score some Varget, which has been incredibly rare of late. My neighbor went with me and was looking for a particular FN pistol. Found a dealer who said he had one back at the store (near Atoscacita) but didn't bring it. Quoted a price. So we drove down to the store and sure enough, there was the pistol. Only the price is $70 higher. Neighbor had them call the owner and even made sure to tell him he was paying cash. Owner reneged on the previous quote and wouldn't budge on the price. We walked. I would pass along the name of the store, but I already tossed the guy's business card. I have no desire to do business with someone like that.

That really sucks, the store lost themselves two potential customers. I have had the opposite experience with some dealers at gun shows, and as a result they have a customer for life. Had a place offer to order me a specific gun at a great price and bring it to the next show. When the gun didn't come in on time, they offered to ship it to my FFL and pay the transfer. Spreadfire Arms in Austin is a stand-up outfit.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Oh, I agree, rgwalt. Most of the dealers I've come across are pretty reasonable - esp. when cash is involved. The difference in this case was about 5%. I'm sure someone will pony up the money, but it won't be me.

A lot of times, a dealer at a gun show will never see you again. His only incentive is to cut the deal (or maybe to keep you from buying from the dealer across the aisle.) A store is a little different; repeat customers are likely to provide revenue over and over again. I'm not the kind of person that wants to get a break on everything I buy, but there are times when I think the price is a bit high or there might be some latitude and I will talk to the owner. I've honestly never had one turn down a reasonable offer. Maybe that's because I tend to only deal with those stores that are run by reasonable people.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I went the show kind of sucked. I keep hearing about the traffic but I saw none I cam from 45 and pulled right in the CC lot and parked

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom