• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    I feel like I have a handle on the school / premise / activity aspects, but have an odd (to me) situation I was hoping someone would have some info or clarification on.

My kid plays on his high school baseball team, so in the Spring at official school games things are off limits. In the fall (now) he is playing in a league that is not run by the school or school district(s), but they are wearing school uniforms, playing under the school name, and the team was set up through the school coach (even though he can not coach under UIL rules). We paid for the him to play in the league so that was not covered by the school. Ok to carry?

Up until now I generally err on the side of caution, but was curious about a definitive answer.

League website: www.fortbenbaseballleague.com is the league info if that helps.

Any direction, info, or answers would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm familiar with the league. Since it is not under the auspices of the UIL and school personnel are not involved beyond initial setup, I think it would not be considered a school activity. This is purely my personal opinion. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Usual disclaimer stuff. :)

I did not realize they were playing now. I thought it was a summer thing. Did it get pushed back due to Covid or do they normally play a fall league?

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    I'm familiar with the league. Since it is not under the auspices of the UIL and school personnel are not involved beyond initial setup, I think it would not be considered a school activity. This is purely my personal opinion. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Usual disclaimer stuff. :)

I did not realize they were playing now. I thought it was a summer thing. Did it get pushed back due to Covid or do they normally play a fall league?

I think they have typically had a fall league but it just wasn’t as popular as it is this year. I have heard several coaches say that because last year was cut short they want to get the kids some games together. At least that is why we did it this year.

My youngest did the incoming freshman league during the summer.

It was mostly the “school uniforms” and name that made me pause and question.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The main question is....are they playing on school-owned property? If so, that would make carry other than the parking lot verboten.

Not necessarily.

Premises is defined as the building or portion of the building in 46.035. Most baseball fields are outdoors and many not in a stadium complex, specially around here.

Fort Bend Baseball league also plays at least some of the games in a city park.

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    Not necessarily.

Premises is defined as the building or portion of the building in 46.035. Most baseball fields are outdoors and many not in a stadium complex, specially around here.

Fort Bend Baseball league also plays at least some of the games in a city park.

I thought “premise” as it relates to school activities depended on the circumstance. For example, building is a premise and parking lot is not, but if the band is practicing in the parking lot then it became part of the “premise”?

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I thought “premise” as it relates to school activities depended on the circumstance. For example, building is a premise and parking lot is not, but if the band is practicing in the parking lot then it became part of the “premise”?

For these purposes, premises are defined by 46.035 but your understanding is correct per:

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

So in your example, school band practice in the parking lot would be a school sponsored activity and the grounds of the parking lot would become a no go for carry.

A non-school sponsored activity on a school baseball field would not meet the strict reading of the law as being prohibited. Of course you may still get arrested, charged and possibly convicted. :)

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    According to what was put out at my LTC class. Parking lot, lawn, sidewalks are not part of the premises you have to open a door and walk through to hit "Premise". If you're going to the school to pick your kid up. You could carry, be on the sidewalk out front and still, under the law, be legal.

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    Based on your description, does not sound like it is "sponsored by a school or educational institution "

That’s what I was leaning towards as well, but figured someone else may have been in a similar situation and may have some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom