• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    No worries for me. I have seen gunpowder go down in prices and I buy boolits in bulk. The only thing that sucks is primers. I have brass to last me for the rest of my life. You guys really need to start a new hobby called reloading.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No worries for me. I have seen gunpowder go down in prices and I buy boolits in bulk. The only thing that sucks is primers. I have brass to last me for the rest of my life. You guys really need to start a new hobby called reloading.

+1 ... However, the cost of ammo seems to be more inline with prices before the big rush, maybe 10 - 15% more, so a slight bump won't be too bad. Honestly, for anyone that shoots quite a bit, you should be reloading, period. I loaded 150 rounds for the IDPA match in 15 minutes on my 650, and at $5.87 a box using a 124 gr. FMJ, it'd take you that long or longer to drive to Walmart and buy the stuff.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    +1 ... However, the cost of ammo seems to be more inline with prices before the big rush, maybe 10 - 15% more, so a slight bump won't be too bad. Honestly, for anyone that shoots quite a bit, you should be reloading, period. I loaded 150 rounds for the IDPA match in 15 minutes on my 650, and at $5.87 a box using a 124 gr. FMJ, it'd take you that long or longer to drive to Walmart and buy the stuff.

Where do you get your bullits?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    hmmm....how 'bout a link? Ah've used Mastercast for my lead, but ain't found a good source for fmj's at reasonable prices. That's close to the $60/k for the 185 gr SWC's I get from them.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    One of the firs things I'll do after buying a home will be to setup a reloading set in my workshop. But for now, space constraints in my living quarters severely restrict me from getting started. So, for now, I have to make do with store bought stuff. I AM, however, saving all my brass for the future. :)

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    One of the firs things I'll do after buying a home will be to setup a reloading set in my workshop. But for now, space constraints in my living quarters severely restrict me from getting started. So, for now, I have to make do with store bought stuff. I AM, however, saving all my brass for the future. :)

That's me as well... got a ton of brass saved...still have another 2 years before I can build.. I need to start buying components bullets, primers etc..

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Recently bought 200 rds for .223 and will prob buy another 200 in a week or two, but I am definitely going to keep all that brass to reload later.

Might as well instead of leaving it on the ground.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You folks that plan on reloading in the future need to be sure to have LOTS of storage/cabinet space for the bullets, powder, primers, cases, etc. and of course as big a bench space as you can get. If you already have a lot of brass (Randman) you ought to be separating now (by quality, caliber, manufacturer, etc.) so you'll have it ready when you need it. Lots of things you can do before you actually set up the bench.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hey Robin, quit telling everybody to reload. How am I going to get any free range brass if everyone is hoarding it ! On a serious note, I have seen ammo absolutely plummet lately almost down to pre-Obama prices. Especially if you're dealing with .223 or 7.62x39. Hell, even 45 auto is under $19 a box(WWB) at wally world. I guess I would be stocking up if I didn't already have a mountain of components and factory ammo already.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Hey Robin, quit telling everybody to reload. How am I going to get any free range brass if everyone is hoarding it ! On a serious note, I have seen ammo absolutely plummet lately almost down to pre-Obama prices. Especially if you're dealing with .223 or 7.62x39. Hell, even 45 auto is under $19 a box(WWB) at wally world. I guess I would be stocking up if I didn't already have a mountain of components and factory ammo already.

Maybe we can get them to send their brass to us. We can tell them its no good after 1 shot.

SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW

What kind of money are we talking to get into reloading? I know nothing about it. Aside from powder, bullets, primers, etc., just for the equipment I mean. Do you need a special cabinet (?) for storing the powder? Also, can you reload inside your home or is that unsafe? My garage is either sizzling hot or cold so I wouldn't care to spend much time the garage here in Tx.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No special cabinet....a fan and a heater will make the garage more bearable, or load late at nite in the summer w/the doors open.

Cost-wise....that depends. I put $300 out for my Dillon XL650 (used), but spent another grand on all the other different dies and tool heads. Thing is, I can easily run 600 rounds/hr on it.

Top Bottom