• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Well....It's been on the radar for awhile. Tried some stem cell therapy and PRP treatments 2 years ago. It was a temporary help not a permanent solution. Looks like I am finally going to get it done. Pending some dental work on 11/21 to get clearance for the surgery....I will get a new right hip on either 12/18 or 12/19.......done through the VA.

Who here has had this surgery?
    How did it go?
    Pleased with the results?
    How long was the recovery?..........I know what the surgeon says.....but really, how long until you were able to get around, drive, work?

BTW....if anybody has questions about stem cell or platelet rich plasma treatment, I would be happy to respond.
    ARJ Defense ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Friend of mine had both done when he was younger due to some genetic condition. You'd never know unless he told you.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I know many people who have had it done...all positive outcomes, everyone says “I wish I’d done this sooner”.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way...you’ll be better than fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My best friend had it done when he was ~50. He was up and walking the next day or so, was pretty much back to doing easy stuff within a week or so. This was a few years ago and it's been great with no complications. Go for it.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Thanks for the encouragement guys......

I want to give kudos to the VA......I had this consult done back in May......met with the chief of orthopedic surgery.....who will be my surgeon......at that time he gave me his business card and told me to call him with whatever. I called him today after like 5 months......to finalize plans and he picked up after two rings on his VA mobile phone.....remembered me......we discussed things.....and it's a tentative go.

Although I have to get me dental issues done through a civilian dentist......my hip replacement will be free. Already had bilateral carpal tunnels done through VA.....the VA rocks in my opinion.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    In my experience, knees are the easist while shoulders and hip are the slowest to recover. The one hip I am very familiar with was on a 80 year old woman though.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    In my experience, knees are the easist while shoulders and hip are the slowest to recover. The one hip I am very familiar with was on a 80 year old woman though.
    I worked with a women whose knee replacement was replaced 3 times. Your insurance the the surgeon has a great deal to do with what you end up with!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Hip replacement surgery is the easiest joint replacement surgery to bounce right back from. The worst is shoulder replacement. Knees somewhere in the middle.

You’ll do fine.

I worked with a women whose knee replacement was replaced 3 times. Your insurance the the surgeon has a great deal to do with what you end up with!

Whatever you do, my reco is DO NOT watch a knee replacement surgery.

When I was pre-med waaaay back in the day, we watched one on a live feed...it was borderline traumatic.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Whatever you do, my reco is DO NOT watch a knee replacement surgery.

When I was pre-med waaaay back in the day, we watched one on a live feed...it was borderline traumatic.

Ortho surgeries are barbaric. I really enjoy watching surgeries, with the exception of Ortho procedures.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    A friend had his done this year at 76.

Recovery was delayed because he overdid the therapy exercises. It took an extra month. But he was home from the surgery in 2 weeks 1 week and Rehab and one week in the hospital.

Good luck

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Ortho surgeries are barbaric. I really enjoy watching surgeries, with the exception of Ortho procedures.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I am a radiology student now.....many years in health care.....have seen the surgery done and although brutal.....it is fascinating. Just glad I will be out.....lol

I'm going to try and get my films and a video of it to share with my classmates next semester. Just this week we covered lower limbs with hip and pelvis.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    My mother had it done @ 51. She was walking in 2 days and back to work after a week. The manages an insurance office though, so not much physical activity at work. All in all it has greatly improved her mobility. The surgeons experience/skill is the primary factor in how well it goes, as well as if your body accepts/rejects the implant, some people just don't. I say do it and we'll all pray for a speedy recovery.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Make sure you do all your rehab exercises. You don’t want your muscles and ligaments tightening up. My friend blew off doing his rehab after shoulder surgery and ended up with a second surgery.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    My mother had it done @ 51. She was walking in 2 days and back to work after a week. The manages an insurance office though, so not much physical activity at work. All in all it has greatly improved her mobility. The surgeons experience/skill is the primary factor in how well it goes, as well as if your body accepts/rejects the implant, some people just don't. I say do it and we'll all pray for a speedy recovery.
    That's what I want to hear...about a week.

Top Bottom