• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I had mine done at 51 in May 2015. I broke it at 27 and had the fracture reduced at that time. Over the years, arthritis finally got so bad I could barely walk. They had to do the replacement twice. I had complications due to the bone cracking and they had to go in a few days later and redo it while wrapping wire around the femur to support it. The pain was bad at first, but eventually subsided. I still know it's there, but my mobility has improved immeasurably. Every now and then it hurts a little, but nothing like what I went through prior to surgery.

Follow the doctor's instructions regarding rehab. It's a PITA, but in the long run, you'll be thankful you did it.

I also recommend the Anterior approach. It cuts much less muscle tissue accessing the joint. I had minimal restrictions and rehab was faster than the old posterior method.
    ARJ Defense ad

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I had mine done at 51 in May 2015. I broke it at 27 and had the fracture reduced at that time. Over the years, arthritis finally got so bad I could barely walk. They had to do the replacement twice. I had complications due to the bone cracking and they had to go in a few days later and redo it while wrapping wire around the femur to support it. The pain was bad at first, but eventually subsided. I still know it's there, but my mobility has improved immeasurably. Every now and then it hurts a little, but nothing like what I went through prior to surgery.

Follow the doctor's instructions regarding rehab. It's a PITA, but in the long run, you'll be thankful you did it.

I also recommend the Anterior approach. It cuts much less muscle tissue accessing the joint. I had minimal restrictions and rehab was faster than the old posterior method.
    Yeah....I don't know what approach will be used. I am at the mercy of the surgeon.....he is, however.......chief of ortho at my local VA. I'm getting the surgery for free so I will take what they give me.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I worked with a women whose knee replacement was replaced 3 times.
    My uncle had his knees done; they had bothered him for decades. Initially things were better, but then they got worse than they were before. His mobility went to basically zero and he kind of wasted away after that.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    My uncle had his knees done; they had bothered him for decades. Initially things were better, but then they got worse than they were before. His mobility went to basically zero and he kind of wasted away after that.
    Not talking about knees......that's a complicated and difficult joint......only surpassed by the shoulder.

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    You'll be fine. Once you get through it and the rehab, your quality of life will improve. Good luck!!!

Besides, I need another fiftysomething gimp on here besides me!! :D

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    60-year-old gimp here. AK amputee and had Osseointegration surgery in Sydney, Australia 13 months ago.
    . . . had a total knee replacement two years before amputation became necessary. Getting ready for a reverse total shoulder replacement within the next few months. So there’s that.

IT4me

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    By the River, under a tree

Very possible that he had a metal allergy, I am sorta in that position now. Had a knee replacement a couple of years back, was better at first , then started getting worse, pain increasing and lower mobility - the ortho ran a metal allergy blood test- it came back allergic to nickel ( common in about 15% of people) so now I am in process of seting up to have a hypoallergic one to replace it.
    Nickle is common in most metals used in ortho work... EVERYONE should have the metal allergy blood test BEFORE any joint replacement

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well....It's been on the radar for awhile. Tried some stem cell therapy and PRP treatments 2 years ago. It was a temporary help not a permanent solution. Looks like I am finally going to get it done. Pending some dental work on 11/21 to get clearance for the surgery....I will get a new right hip on either 12/18 or 12/19.......done through the VA.

Who here has had this surgery?
    How did it go?
    Pleased with the results?
    How long was the recovery?..........I know what the surgeon says.....but really, how long until you were able to get around, drive, work?

BTW....if anybody has questions about stem cell or platelet rich plasma treatment, I would be happy to respond.
    OK so we now call you a Hippie or Hipster, I mean does this make you Hip? Platelet Rich, wow, you will be adding a bunch of guns now that you are RICH. Glad to hear all that. Be sure and have them install the model that has the zerk fitting on it, they last forver...

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    OK so we now call you a Hippie or Hipster, I mean does this make you Hip? Platelet Rich, wow, you will be adding a bunch of guns now that you are RICH. Glad to hear all that. Be sure and have them install the model that has the zerk fitting on it, they last forver...
    I will be a "hipster"......just waiting for the "date"....

Top Bottom