• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With my back totally cratered I'm not suppose to lift over 20 pounds. I have been packing my man cave/reloading room & just loading bullets into boxes wears me out. Bending down to get bottom shelves & the bottom of the closet is painful. I order a bundle of gun boxes to help hid the safe contents.

The first bid I got was $3,833. 09! I have 3 more bids I'm going to call about Monday.

My friend that says he will do it said he works with a young kid & his dad will be his helper. Even if it cost the same using them I'd rather they earn the money. Feeding them will be a challenge as their are few places around to get take out.

I hear you. The joints don't work as well as they used to. I don't want to move again.
    Texas SOT

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I own a 3500 dually Sprinter, so we used that to move 1800 mi. from the Left Coast, and the last move 15 miles up the highway to the lake. We'd hired movers before, and despite a lot of oversight, an HK USP45 disappeared, didn't know they gaffed it until we got to our final destination a few day later. :| I did get it back 15 years later, was found during a drug bust... so.. basically... I'm quite hesitant to use movers, even packers these days.

If I didn't have my own moving van, I'd rent one. Moving sucks though... hope I don't have to do it ever again.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We moved from Cypress to Spring in October, and originally planned to hire movers. Saw the quotes and got cheap, never used movers before why start now right? Especially since I have an adult kid to help out, two little ones to help pack and move smaller stuff, plus other family and friends to help with the bulk. So I rented a 26 foot U-Haul and we got to it on Saturday morning.

I was wrong, and will never do that again. We got it done (took three days), but the money would have been the much smarter avenue. What we originally thought would be an easy pack the truck and move it all in one shot move was not even close. We filled that truck TWICE, plus multiple trips in cars and pickups. The house wasn't cluttered or packed full at all, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where all the stuff came from.

It was kinda funny watching the look of awe on the faces of the 20-somethings' as us two late 40-something brothers ran circles around 'em. My wife even got in on the fun and talked a little smack to 'em. They didn't think it was funny :)

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    We moved from Cypress to Spring in October, and originally planned to hire movers. Saw the quotes and got cheap, never used movers before why start now right? Especially since I have an adult kid to help out, two little ones to help pack and move smaller stuff, plus other family and friends to help with the bulk. So I rented a 26 foot U-Haul and we got to it on Saturday morning.

I was wrong, and will never do that again. We got it done (took three days), but the money would have been the much smarter avenue. What we originally thought would be an easy pack the truck and move it all in one shot move was not even close. We filled that truck TWICE, plus multiple trips in cars and pickups. The house wasn't cluttered or packed full at all, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where all the stuff came from.

It was kinda funny watching the look of awe on the faces of the 20-somethings' as us two late 40-something brothers ran circles around 'em. My wife even got in on the fun and talked a little smack to 'em. They didn't think it was funny :)

Ha, we moved from a 1,326sq ft home about 25 years ago and completely packed a 26' U-Haul. I fully understand how a normal sized house nowadays would take 2+ trips.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yesterday the wife & I started clearing out kitchen cabinets. I had my fat ass parked in a chair that I'm sure came from china. I reach over to turn the stove top & the chair buckled under me. Looks like the legs & supports were just friction fitted. The use of a little glue most likely effect the profits on the POS chair.

Took me a while to straighten my legs out as they were still in the seated position. My normal amount of tourettes syndrome was greatly enhanced! I finally got back on my feet & was in a great deal of pain. Good thing I held back some pain killers in reserve! After getting doped up I tried laying down, but figured that would only make today harder. Didn't sleep well, not that I normally do.

I need to drag some more crap out to the curb for heavy trash, perhaps after lunch.

The movers quotes were all over the place, from $4K-$8K. The guy writing the $8 wanted to crate all the Africa mounts. He was telling me what experts they were at it, but didn't know that most of the horns come off. H also did to take us to Eusless, Texas another 2 hours farther.

Reb58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    US
    Did research last week for an upcoming move. PODS is what we'll end up doing. 1600 ft house from Houston to Florida for arounf $4k. They also can provide someone to pack it for you for additional charges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    20 some years ago we bought a 26' box truck. Used day labor to load it. Everything boxed except furniture. Moved in 4 trips and used day labor to unpack. Sold the truck at a profit.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    OK, me, I'd rather skip the nursing home and go directly to the crematorium...you'll understand if you've ever been in the half-way house of death euphemistically called 'a nursing home'...or if you've ever watched a horror movie.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I do both. I usually put all the valuables in my vehicles. I used two men and a truck probably 3 times since I've been here. Treat them right and they will usually take care of you. Meals, snacks, drinks, beer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    We did similar. Used POD to move the big stuff from WA. Put the dogs and guns and ammo in an RV with the wife's sewing warehouse (she is a seamstress).
    PS - ammo is heavy. Don't believe me? Just put only your rifle rounds in a pile, then pick it up.
    Ha ha. Now, try with your handgun ammo.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom