Hiring movers

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
Had to sleep in motels twice. Plus eating at restaurants. Jobox is a lot bigger than a truck tool box it was full. Guns are expensive.
Had you mentioned that, I wouldn't have asked.

Fishkiller

Well-Known
Jul 22, 2019
Frederickburg
We moved from Commiefornia to the big town (Fredericksburg) in 2016. We packed stuff up like dishes and clothes. Then hired one of those container folks, PODS is most popular. Anyway the container company had some guys with strong backs. They loaded the furniture and one safe. The safe cost extra due to weight. They came and picked up the containers and had them shipped to San Antonio and went into storage for 6 months while we found a place. They delivered containers to the big town and provided strong guys to move stuff into the house. I think the total cost was just under $10,000, but that include 6 months at $400 a month for storage. Oh you put your lock on the containers. A traditional moving company was going to be north of $20k.

Moving is not cheap, but that was the cheapest option for us. Of course the cheapest is to have a bunch of buddies bring their trucks and it will cost you beer, pizza and favors.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
I do the moving myself. After using a couple of company paid movers early on in my career, I said never again. Furniture broken, scratched. Walls damaged in house.

With a good four wheel dolly, hand truck and appliance truck, most things can be moved by one person without too much difficult. And the furniture and house remain pristine.

I also don't want strangers knowing I have a safe.

Safes take more thought and maybe a little engineering at times, but can also be done.

Use Penske for the moving truck, not Uhaul. Their bigger trucks are about the same price, maybe a little more. But Penske trucks won't break down on you. After having Uhaul trucks break down twice on the same move, I switched to Penske and nary a problem since. Even with a couple of 8-9 trips (each way) on back to back days.

baboon

TGT Addict
With my back totally cratered I'm not suppose to lift over 20 pounds. I have been packing my man cave/reloading room & just loading bullets into boxes wears me out. Bending down to get bottom shelves & the bottom of the closet is painful. I order a bundle of gun boxes to help hid the safe contents.

The first bid I got was $3,833. 09! I have 3 more bids I'm going to call about Monday.

My friend that says he will do it said he works with a young kid & his dad will be his helper. Even if it cost the same using them I'd rather they earn the money. Feeding them will be a challenge as their are few places around to get take out.

Fishkiller

Well-Known
Jul 22, 2019
Frederickburg
With my back totally cratered I'm not suppose to lift over 20 pounds. I have been packing my man cave/reloading room & just loading bullets into boxes wears me out. Bending down to get bottom shelves & the bottom of the closet is painful. I order a bundle of gun boxes to help hid the safe contents.

The first bid I got was $3,833. 09! I have 3 more bids I'm going to call about Monday.

My friend that says he will do it said he works with a young kid & his dad will be his helper. Even if it cost the same using them I'd rather they earn the money. Feeding them will be a challenge as their are few places around to get take out.
Sounds like you have a good friend. I would go with him if the timing works out.

medicmike

Dec 27, 2020
Plano
Recently moved out from Oregon. I didn't bring a lot with me, mostly guns, ammo, reloading and ham radio gear. Everything fit in a medium Uhaul trailer and pickup. I hired a moving team through Uhaul for unloading. Well the worthless SOB's stood me up. Talked with them in the morning, said they were running late but would be there in the afternoon. Then they never showed, never replied, stopped answering the phone or returning texts. Fortunately I had one local friend that had also moved out from Oregon. He came the next day and saved my butt. Sucked carrying that stuff up 3 flights of stairs in the August heat but we got it done. Will never schedule movers through Uhaul again...oh and they did charge me rental for the extra day on the trailer even though it was their recommended movers that screwed me......

baboon

TGT Addict
Sounds like you have a good friend. I would go with him if the timing works out.
I have few but very solid friends. If I asked another one to help me he would hand over cash rather the work!

This friend has benefited from our friendship for years. I gave him things I no longer use like deer feeder, tripod 100 qt cooler. Gave him a nice AR rifle a fewer back for doing some A/C work. He wanted a bike to ride with his daughter, so he got my mountain bike. He has been talking about a pistol & a .22 he might just get those I the move.

Hell he was coming over & cutting my grass, for $50.00. He aint afraid of work & his job has been messed up from Covid. He's got a huge child support payment.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members