• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I just ordered a P30 V3 this afternoon from Buds Guns - last one in stock and not to be found anywhere else for a lower price in stock. Gurney was a pleasure to deal with.

The price was higher than CDNN's last price. However, I did not have to pay TX sales tax or 2 day air shipping, so it came out cheaper out the door.

It should get to the FFL Tuesday afternoon in time to clean up and test out before the wife and take the CHL course at Shiloh's next Saturday. Of course, there will probably be a "discussion" about who gets to use the new toy.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd argue it is the best 9mm polymer frame pistol on the market, in my opinion. Soft recoil, industry leading adaptability and ergonomics, and they fixed the issues I had with the USP Compact. Primarily elongating the magazine release, traditional tac-rail, etc.

You will be VERY pleased.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I'd argue it is the best 9mm polymer frame pistol on the market, in my opinion. Soft recoil, industry leading adaptability and ergonomics, and they fixed the issues I had with the USP Compact. Primarily elongating the magazine release, traditional tac-rail, etc.

You will be VERY pleased.

The USP9c was a serious contender because I wanted to keep it simple with the same controls as my US9f. The USP9C was $49 cheaper, but buying a GG&G adapter would eat that savings making the P30 night sights free. I have seen some comments that the luminous night sights are not as good as the Tritium ones, I'll have to see how I like them. The added ergo features of the P30 are another free bonus.

The P30 will be the nightstand/CCW gun with the USP9f as a home defense backup for the wife. I plan to put a TLR1 on the P30 soon.

I also picked up 2 additional 15 rd. mags. How many mags do people feel comfortable with for a home defense pistol? I am making sure I have 4 for each gun and will stock some extra springs from Wolff.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    The luminous sights work, they do not stay bright for as long as they advertise. It is a bit of a pain having to shine a light on the sights in order to get them to light up. Unfortunately there are only two choices of tritium sights right now and that is Heinie and Tooltech.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The USP9c was a serious contender because I wanted to keep it simple with the same controls as my US9f. The USP9C was $49 cheaper, but buying a GG&G adapter would eat that savings making the P30 night sights free. I have seen some comments that the luminous night sights are not as good as the Tritium ones, I'll have to see how I like them. The added ergo features of the P30 are another free bonus.

The P30 is worlds better, and would be perfect if they'd make the external safety model standard instead of the V3 decocker.

I also picked up 2 additional 15 rd. mags. How many mags do people feel comfortable with for a home defense pistol? I am making sure I have 4 for each gun and will stock some extra springs from Wolff.

Get the Wolff +10% mag springs. Mine had trouble holding open on the last round quite often, and this was the fix most people had work for them. My USPc's never really had this problem.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Alan, thanks for the feedback. I agree with the manual safety comment. I am a little leary of not having a manual safety when the wife is used to that. However, I guess another lever would screw up the ergonomics and holsterability?

I am putting together a list of spare parts and including in that list replacement (Wolff) springs for all of my mags (P30 and USP9f).

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My buddy has one of these pistols, and he has been very happy with it. The "charge up" sights are much better than I expected, they last for a long time with just a few seconds shine with a flashlight.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alan, thanks for the feedback. I agree with the manual safety comment. I am a little leary of not having a manual safety when the wife is used to that. However, I guess another lever would screw up the ergonomics and holsterability?

Just teach her proper trigger control.

No one should rely upon the external safety to truncate dangerous trigger control.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Just teach her proper trigger control.

No one should rely upon the external safety to truncate dangerous trigger control.

You know what happens when husbands try to teach their wives something!:rolleyes:

But, seriously - good advice.

Hopefully, this will be covered in the CHL class we are taking on Saturday - then I can reinforce what "the guy who knows what he is talking about" taught us. ;)

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I bought one for my wife a while back. Ended up using it as my CCW until the HK45 showed up on shelves. Its a REALLy nice gun. The ergonomics are excellent. My only gripes were the luminous sights and DA trigger. Dont kid yourself about the sights being useful as "night" sights, especially in a carry gun. They are, however, very usefull when transitioning from sun to shade. Those luminova sights jump right out. If youre like me and carry your gun around the house without a covering garment on, the rear sights will remain charged while the front ones will be dark. Not a good thing IMO. Just know that they are NOT night sights and youll be fine. Honestly, I think HK did themselves a HUGE disservice by redesigning the sights. They could have kept the USP/P2K sights and made it so that accessories were easy to find.

The DA trigger on mine was very gritty and never did break in, even after a LOT of dry firing and live firing.

The same can be said for my HK45 trigger though, so it may just be a desing thing or needing more wear than I gave it. I ended up seapping out my HK45 trigger group with a light LEM module and that was awesome. Took a bit of getting used to, but it was worth the time. I think they have the LEM modules available from HK for the P30 now.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I think they have the LEM modules available from HK for the P30 now.
    Depends on who answers the phone at HK USA when you call to ask about it. On HKPro there are people who have gotten a LEM installed on the P30 no problem. Then others told there were no plans of one being available.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Depends on who answers the phone at HK USA when you call to ask about it. On HKPro there are people who have gotten a LEM installed on the P30 no problem. Then others told there were no plans of one being available.

Very true. It did take me a few calls to get to someone who would actually help. He was VERY nice and thorough though and sent out my kit ASAP. For the HK45 it weas a hodge-podge of parts from the USP and P2K lines. I presume the P30 shares the trigger group with the P2K

Top Bottom