• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I have a friend that bought a Century C308 that is having ejection problem. I know, CENTURY, I would have advised against this had I known he was buying it. He asked me to take a look at it even after I told him I know Jack s**t about them.

I won't work on it, I'm just seeing if I see anything obvious pops up. Here's what I've found.

The ejection lever has a lot of side to side wiggle to it and it doesn't want to slide into the bolt carrier groove. I'm guessing there should be NO side to side movement? What do you HK guys recommend, he send this back to Century, or do y'all think a new trigger group would solve this if he doesn't want to have his rifle gone for however Century will have it? If he puts a new trigger group in, a plus would be it won't be Century parts.
    Texas SOT

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    20200513-153557.jpg

Attachments

• 20200513-153557.jpg
      20200513-153557.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 298

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Could be the ejector lever is just messed up. I'm looking at a PTR right now and my lever has no movement side to side. Only movement is up and down to clear the movement of the bolt and carrier.

I would start with replacing the lever and spring before doing anything else. But before that, wait and see what other members with much more experience with these have to say. Could be something common to the C308 that I may not be aware of.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To clarify.....

Is the trouble:
    a.
    on not ejecting a spent round casing upon firing or

b.
    an unspent round not ejecting when manually cycling?

Very different situations.

G3/HK91 tolerances are incredibly tight.
    Factory HKs are superlative in functionality.
    Clones can misbehave as do recalcitrant children.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In the photo the ejection lever that moves upward under the influence of the reward moving bolt-carrier looks way out of alignment with the ejection slot on the underside of the boldface.

The thing looks filthy.
    Disassemble the bolt. Remove the extractor and don't loose the damn-strong spring! Make sure the extractor moves freely such that it is enabled a solid purchase on the case rim.

G3 variants are notoriously difficult to clean thoroughly. Particularly in the trunion where the roller locks depend in micrometer tolerances!!!

Go to an auto-parts store for some some spray brake cleaned being mindful that it can remove painted finish and dissolve plastic furniture. But, damn, it cleans well.

Last edited:

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    To clarify.....

Is the trouble:
    a.
    on not ejecting a spent round casing upon firing or

b.
    an unspent round not ejecting when manually cycling?

Very different situations.

G3/HK91 tolerances are incredibly tight.
    Factory HKs are superlative in functionality.
    Clones can misbehave as do recalcitrant children.

A- spent rounds do not eject.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Go to an auto-parts store for some some spray brake cleaned being mindful that it can remove painted finish and dissolve plastic furniture. But, damn, it cleans well.

I believe you want the 'non-chlorinated' variety that isn't supposed to eat plastic.
    You can also use carburetor cleaner, it isn't as aggressive but will cut the carbon.

Eli

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Never see brass that shiny, which I would leed me to think the chamber flutes are are loaded with carbon. The bolt face looks carboned up too, and the ejector seems off. Checking bolt gap is easy & should be done after a detailed cleaning. How full of crap is the buffer? Does it move?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The ejector lever is not being held fast and that's why there's side-to-side wiggle in it. You showed one picture from above the trigger pack and I can see that the spot where the short pin goes into the left side of the pack (and about which the ejector lever rotates)--the two adjacent pieces of metal are too far apart. Make an attempt to slightly bend that inner piece towards the outer, and the lever will be more stable. Once the lever is stable, then you can evaluate where the front end of the ejector lever will ride in the bolt carrier. Here's the pic I'm referring to:

20200513-155616-jpg.jpg

In other words--bend the narrow thinner piece to the left.

Attachments

• 20200513-155616-jpg.jpg
      20200513-155616-jpg.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 197

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    HK91s are one on the most violently ejecting rifles I've ever dealt with.
    They, as well as clones, should toss brass waaaay away!

I have a thought. On occasion I have accurate thoughts!

Your pic in post #13 suggests strongly to me that the spent case became dislodged from the bolt face as the bolt and carrier moved rearward before contacting the rising ejector lever.

HKs should ordinarily hold the cartridge case very firmly against the bolt face prior to ejection.

Try this:
    Pull the bolt carrier and bolt out of the rifle.
    Stick a cartridge into the deep bolt face recess such that the extractor retains it.
    Shake it firmly and it should stay put.

If it is not firmly held upon shaking there is the problem, as it's not held against the bolt face during rearward bolt movement.

Pull the extractor spring and extractor off the bolt and give them a good cleaning.

These are great rifles but they really get filthy internally.

Maybe?

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    #2 thought.

The pic in post #16 shows the slot in the trigger group basket housing where the ejector pivots on it's axis pin is far too wide. This might be causing the ejector lever to move sloppily and then contact the rearward moving case head at the wrong place causing the spent case to pop off into the action rather than out the ejection port.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It could be my old eyes but besides very dirty the extractor look like it's setting at an angle. That could very well mean a weak extractor spring. I would like to see how much carbon is under that extractor lip! I actually blew an extractor & spring on my Registered Reciever G3K. It didn't take very long to figure out why it was not ejecting then.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One of the easiest ways to figure this out is if you knew someone with another 91 type rifle. Borrow the bolt carrier & the trigger pack. Slap in the trigger housing, if it works that would indicate your promlem is in the trigger pack. If it doesn't add the bolt carrier with & without the trigger pack. If that doesn't work add the other stock with buffer assembly.

But before you try anything clean it! My rants about cleaning my G3K & MP5K after a shoot are epic! I still think that brass case is mighty shiney & free of flute marks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom