• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm developing an interest in hobby drones for photography purposes. Being out on the plains with high winds, what might the upper threshold be on windspeed? Also, what operating range could be expected?
    Thanks.
    Guns International

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Are you talking an airplane configuration, or like a helicopter/quadracopter?

I have one of the A.R. Drones. If there is any wind at all it will tip to compensate, to hold position. If you are using the HD movie camera, the effect is not unpleasant, but not a smooth smooth shot. The built in movie camera makes amazingly good video, with excellent depth of field. On still days the smoothness and quality are superb.
    I know they show these things on the news all of the time peeping over someones fence. It would be darn near impossible to not know one is there, because even with electric motors, the fans are noisy.
    If you get a bigger one to mount your own camera on, and are taking still pictures, they should work in up to a 10-15mph wind as long as you do not expect every picture to be framed correctly. The most difficult challenge with wind will be takeoff/landing.

Last edited:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Have been thinking of getting the quadcopter that you can fly with your phone or tablet. But i want to read the anti-drone bill first, from what ive heard it will even effect mounting cameras on RC planes and choppers.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Are you talking an airplane configuration, or like a helicopter/quadracopter?

I have one of the A.R. Drones. If there is any wind at all it will tip to compensate, to hold position. If you are using the HD movie camera, the effect is not unpleasant, but not a smooth smooth shot. The built in movie camera makes amazingly good video, with excellent depth of field. On still days the smoothness and quality are superb.
    I know they show these things on the news all of the time peeping over someones fence. It would be darn near impossible to not know one is there, because even with electric motors, the fans are noisy.
    If you get a bigger one to mount your own camera on, and are taking still pictures, they should work in up to a 10-15mph wind as long as you do not expect every picture to be framed correctly. The most difficult challenge with wind will be takeoff/landing.

Yeah, what he said. I think those would be a neat toy but I know very little about them. If you have too much wind, just use a long line and a helium baloon, some duct tape ............... never mind.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    In high winds, a tethered kite with an attached camera would be a better solution ... but then you would have to find a stabilized camera, and then you would be limited to where the kite flies.

Top Bottom