• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just got done with the Hoffner's Tactical Pistol 1 course out at the Impact Zone just outside of Houston, TX. This was my first training course with Hoffner's, and I had a good time.

The class had a great group of people with a diverse make-up. Guns mostly consisted of either Springfield XDs or Glocks, with one Walther P99 thrown into the mix next to an FN FiveSeven.

Equipment

Gun
    Belt
    Holster
    Magazines (3+)
    Magazine Pouches
    500 - 600 Rounds of Ammo

Day 1 - Class & Crawl

Probably the best thing anyone can learn from this course is covered right off the bat, MINDSET. Brian gives a number of real life examples on how mindset plays such a large role in fighting in general, and I was very, very pleased to see this covered in depth. In my opinion, the biggest barrier for people is committing to the fight in that situation. Brian outlines how poor decisions can make the difference in getting shot, and gaining the upper hand with tactical surprise. Other topics include the differences between reactive and cognitive mental process, and other aspects of what we are going to need on the firing line and out in public.

Following a short break the class headed out for some on the line dry fire practice. Initially Brian talks about a dug-in stance and progresses onwards to trigger pull, working it together into presentation from a low-ready all the while emphasizing a self-governed cadence. The primary focus is getting good hits during the entire class.

Towards the end of the day we finally progressed to a hot line. With our kit on we started slow with a CQB distance precision drill. Again, the emphasis being controlled single shots to keep the "flinch demon" away and really progress through the entire cycle of present, slack up, press, and bang (surprise). For newer shooters this is good practice, it makes you slow down and commit to a good shot with good mechanics.

Day 2 - Walk and Chew Bubble Gum

Day 2 was a fun step up from day 1. We spent the initial part of the day backtracking over day 1's lesson, but quickly progressed into live fire drills. Throughout the entire day we had to work with more commands, faster, and with more awareness. The instructors really worked to push the mental envelope.

We learned an admin, combat, and tactical with retention reload method, with particular emphasis on the tactical reload due to it's inherient complexity. It was nice to practice that a bit more in a faster environment.

The command structure got more and more complex as time moved on. This is something that I personally really liked. The element of confusion, having to switch off the reaction and focus on methodically working the problem. It's something that few people ever practice outside of structured training. Fire, gave way to "Up!, 6, 4, 1, Charlie!" which made the shooter speed up and slow down whilst getting good breaks, tracking the sight picture, and moving through the target order. It wasn't monotonous, it was dynamic, and dynamic is right.

The last drill is alot of fun, but I won't ruin it for you guys. You'll just have to find out what it is by taking the class.

What Hoffner's Tactical Pistol 1 is:
    - Fun
    - Structured
    - Good Instructor to Shooter Ratio
    - SAFE! (Huge Emphasis on this from Day 1)
    - Informative

What Hoffner's Tactical Pistol 1 isn't:
    - High Speed (Good for Beginners)
    - Moving and Shooting (Emphasis on Basics)

General Comments
    - Would like to see greater emphasis on proper reloading structure for combat reloads (speed reloads), namely rear to rear mag interface.

- Very good emphasis on gun safety.

- Implimentation of color on the targets. Colors and numbers seem to be more confusing.

- More mag changes! Maybe shortloading mags on purpose? (I suppose I could have brought a 1911 or J-Frame)

- Comedy, no one wants a boring stiff for a teacher, everyone seemed to have a good sense of humor and that made the class much more enjoyable.

In closing, thanks to Brian Hoffner, John Crawford, and Art Starliper for the class!

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg
    Texas SOT

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    What was the cost of the class if you dont mind telling us? Looks like some good training. Did you out shoot Travis at least.

Hoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Houston
    It was a pleasure to have Alan and Travis in the class. Their shooting skills are certainly at a high level though they were patient while most of the class was new to shooting and we moved at their pace. Our goal with level I is to ensure that we build safe operators with a foundation of skills applicable to defending themselves and family and winning the fight.
    It would be nice to have both Alan and Travis bck for Hoffners Tactical Pistol II when we will take the foudation of the Static Fight Cycle that we built in Level I and go Dynamic with thye fight cycle performing immediate action response drills to include shooting on the move, alternative and supported positions, use of cover, and performance measuring.
    Thanks Alan and Travis for attending we enjoyed having you there.
    -Hoff

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    It was a pleasure to have Alan and Travis in the class. Their shooting skills are certainly at a high level though they were patient while most of the class was new to shooting and we moved at their pace. Our goal with level I is to ensure that we build safe operators with a foundation of skills applicable to defending themselves and family and winning the fight.
    It would be nice to have both Alan and Travis bck for Hoffners Tactical Pistol II when we will take the foudation of the Static Fight Cycle that we built in Level I and go Dynamic with thye fight cycle performing immediate action response drills to include shooting on the move, alternative and supported positions, use of cover, and performance measuring.
    Thanks Alan and Travis for attending we enjoyed having you there.
    -Hoff

Welcome to the Forum!

JOC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Houston
    It was an excellent weekend... I had a good time and enjoyed training together.
    Thanks to Alan and Travis for the great pics and videos.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    This looks like just what me and the wife are looking for... but $400 each.... thats just a little too steep for us right now. tempting though. great write up

Top Bottom