• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasPatriot1916

Active-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas
    Just Curious if this even exist's. But Is there a Job for Hog control/eradication on Ranches, Private Properties ect... ?

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I am sure there is as some ranchers and farmers are being hurt by hogs. Some counties in Texas pay a $5.00 bounty on feral hogs.

TexasPatriot1916

Active-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas
    That is very true. I once had a landowner tell me he had a bad hog problem. I said I would be willing to help him out. He told me he would only charge me a hundred dollars a hog. I told him then you dont have a bad hog problem.
    If it did exist It sounds like the easiest job in the world.

gshayd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    During the Cold weather months when hunting pressure is not much Hogs will be out during the daytime. If I was looking for Hog Bedding sites I would find the area where travel is very difficult and is the thickest and very gnarly places. I would set up shop on the perimeter of the hog paradise. I would also scout for likely travel paths and set up some feeders of course. A silencer is on my wish list.

gshayd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The thing with feral hogs is they are pretty smart plus you could find yourself in a bunch of trouble if you piss them off.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a couple of older buddies in Palestine that trapped them for years. Word of mouth got them onto properties & they were never charged. Their expense came from running traps every day, building more traps, holding pens & feed.

They sold mostly to asians out of Dallas/Fort Worth, who bought year round. Big boars would sometimes be sold to day hog hunting operations. I'd seen traps loaded with hogs, traps turned over or busted up, traps with deer or coons in them along with sprung traps.

They both got to old to do it any longer. That & dealing with their customer base had to drive them 2 old country boys crazy!

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I have a couple of older buddies in Palestine that trapped them for years.
    Same story for me, over in Teague. They ran a good business for years. And big boars/sows, brought big money from the paid hunts, but you HAD to deliver the product in a timely fashion.

Been out many times, they ran the dogs almost every night (for control), but had access to some really big ranches around here.

While I get the jist of the thread on how to kill hogs (with 45colt or whatever else) I was serious when I posted the HiPoint and knife pic. This is what I used to kill them with, in the middle of the night. (and not the HiPoint, that was just a joke)
    IMG_0377.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
      IMG_0377.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 322

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    The thing with feral hogs is they are pretty smart plus you could find yourself in a bunch of trouble if you piss them off.

I keep hearing how smart hogs are, but as near as I can tell, that just means that they engage in avoidance behavior and are sometimes a little more cautious than deer.

Hogs can be dangerous, but then again, so can deer. Most people that get hurt by feral hogs are engaged in hog-dogging and are trying to go hands-on with a hog that is being chased/bitten/held by dogs and is trying very hard to defend itself. People often refer to what happens to hog-doggers as being attacks, but that is sort of like a bully claiming to be a victim of attack because the little guy he was whaling on turned out to have some skills and punched him in the face.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One morning after running trap with them we decided that suckling pig was a good idea. So we threw one of the piglets into the back of the truck seeing it had a cap on it. That piglet was fine until we got some speed up & started acting a fool. I looked back just in time to see it go out the window. We were doing about 60 mph & the pig hit the road & slide a bit only to jump up & haul ass.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I keep hearing how smart hogs are, but as near as I can tell, that just means that they engage in avoidance behavior and are sometimes a little more cautious than deer.

Hogs can be dangerous, but then again, so can deer. Most people that get hurt by feral hogs are engaged in hog-dogging and are trying to go hands-on with a hog that is being chased/bitten/held by dogs and is trying very hard to defend itself. People often refer to what happens to hog-doggers as being attacks, but that is sort of like a bully claiming to be a victim of attack because the little guy he was whaling on turned out to have some skills and punched him in the face.
    Guys I knew that ran hogs with dogs tend to drink clear liquor out of Mason jars while running their dogs.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Hogs can be dangerous, but then again, so can deer. Most people that get hurt by feral hogs are engaged in hog-dogging and are trying to go hands-on with a hog.....
    All very true. We never classified it as that. Neither is a "charge" when they are under duress.

Guys I knew that ran hogs with dogs tend to drink clear liquor out of Mason jars while running their dogs.
    Ahhhh now, now. Thats a big ole Negative! These days its a business. (guess I can only speak for my group)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom