• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a friend that hunts hogs with dogs. Apparently he goes all over the state and competes in tournaments. I have never gone with him, but my son did. He got to kill a hog with a knife. He had a good time. His son goes all the time I guess. BTW our boys are both 12.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    I have a friend that hunts hogs with dogs. Apparently he goes all over the state and competes in tournaments. I have never gone with him, but my son did. He got to kill a hog with a knife. He had a good time. His son goes all the time I guess. BTW our boys are both 12.

perhaps I need to talk to him..I'm looking to know what it takes in a dog to go after hog, and if an older dog (3-5) years can be trained to do the job

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    His dogs are some kind of Pit mix. They are trained to hold the hogs down while he sticks them with a knife.

If there are tournaments then information shouldn't be too hard to find about it.

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    marley.JPG I have a Hog Dog AKA Brindled Cur. They are bread to hunt hogs and in general herd animals. They will bite a hog on the neck, curl up into a ball and hang on till the animal is down. She has no neck, just a body that curves upward to her head.
    She is no longer a working dog, just a beloved pet. She wondered into our garage one day, a bag of bones. I fed her out of pity as I thought she would die anyway. She didn't. It took a year for her to start acting like a pet. Seemed like she always expecting to be kicked or be put out. I have other dogs and she herds them around. Once 2 were playing tug a rope and Hog Dog wanted the rope. She jumped in between the dogs latched onto the rope curled up in a ball and the Lab and the Bull dog drug her around the living room. If you leave her outside too long she will escape, run to the front door and wait there to get in. They snort and gurggle generally making pig noises. Told this is also normal of them. And one tough thing, a bath is only good for a day or so then she has her own distinct stink. We love anyway. Not the info you were looking for, but Hog Dogs are real. If I hunted she would be fun to have along.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    His dogs are some kind of Pit mix. They are trained to hold the hogs down while he sticks them with a knife.

If there are tournaments then information shouldn't be too hard to find about it.

I don't have anything specific to add about trained hunting dogs but my brother in law had a beautiful pit that he couldn't take with him when they moved into their new house so he took him out to the country in Taft to my mother in laws house. Fit in right away and had a lot of land to run and play, MIL told me they went out to check on the cows with Sid following behind and a hog ran out in front of them, Sid took him down and killed him. The thing is he's always been an inside city dog and had never seen a hog in his 2-3 year life before that so I agree that pits would make good hog dogs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Dogo Argentino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I had the $1800 for a female or the $2400 for a male. This would be my pick. It's not a pit.

Stories abound how this breed has taken on a mountain lion to defend a child.(Mountain lion lost) No bullshit, kicka** dog. Animal Planet Dogs 101 did a short about them. The breeder mixed almost everything he could to develop the dog. Their jaws at the front are almost square. Looks like a squared off bear trap.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGwwVxJvC8Q4ZYE6h5oHSb_yosYc45NkBHco_5kYwhynk_R9Gz.jpg

Top Bottom