Capitol Armory ad

Hog eradication business...is it a pipe dream?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I just recently built a 300 blk upper and am in the process of building a DIY night vision setup that is comparable to gen 2. I was thinking it would be interesting to at least on the side perhaps sell my services for night time hog eradication. I know the most effective way is trapping and heli hunting, but I know I've seen a few vids here and there of people making at least some money doing night hunting of piggies. Is this really a viable business model right now? Is there an over saturation of people already doing this? Granted this is a very long term thought (like probably at least a year or two down the line), I want to get quite a few hog hunts under my belt (and probably a good can) before I even think about trying to make a name for myself doing this. One thing I think I would have going for me is that I will be running mostly cast (and powder coated to eliminate leading/smoke) once I get my setup up and running to do so, so my overhead would be fairly low. Alot of people are reporting very promising results with both Lee 155gr (the x39 mold) and hollow pointed Lee 230s used for hunting in their respective ranges on medium game. Is this just pure wishful thinking on my part or is there actually a chance to make a living at slinging lead across fields? I would certainly rather be doing that than testing duct work all damn day (granted I make good money doing it, but it's starting to get a little repetitive and boring).
    Lynx Defense

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    While way up on the cool factor, I think there are too many "eradicators" willing to pay a land owner to hunt pigs than there are land owners willing to pay for the same eradication.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    There is no real money in it; it's a hobby that pays part of its way at best. You'd need at least 10 years' experience for the people I know to talk to you.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Eradicate?
    Land owners pay people to put hogs on their land so hunters can hunt them for a fee. Why would they pay you to shoot them?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Gah ya'll are a bunch o' kill joys. Nah dude, you're screwed ;)

I've known a lady 5 yrs and recently learned she lived on 50 acres. When I jokingly asked about snaggin' some pig she said they handle it themselves. Similar response from all the others too. Good luck though.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Honestly,
    Not really. The way to make money is to have thousands of acres available to you( with pigs on them) and to charge people hundreds of dollars per night to use your equipment. You have to have the high end equipment that people are willing to pay to use. You also have to have backup equipment for when someone drops your $10,000 PVS 24LR or your $15,000 thermal imager.

You would have a better chance at making money by trapping and snaring, but that is not something you could really do part time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Eradicate?
    Land owners pay people to put hogs on their land so hunters can hunt them for a fee. Why would they pay you to shoot them?
    No, they are not. In Texas there are two kinds of property. Those with feral pigs, and those that are going to have them.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I was watching a hog hunting segment of a TV show the other day, and the hunter wasn't allowed to shoot any sows because the landowner was managing his herd of hogs as game animals.

Yeah, we are really gonna solve the feral pig problem that way. LOL

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    No, they are not. In Texas there are two kinds of property. Those with feral pigs, and those that are going to have them.

I know land owners In Texas and farmers in Missouri that work together to breed pigs just for the purpose of hunting them. Like big racks on White tail deer these pigs are bred to have big "trophy" tusks. Hampshire, razor back and Russian imports are added to the stock pig populations on pig proof fence pastures to breed big pigs. Some farmers can't afford the fence and they just throw a few pigs out in the pasture.

But this is a big money game and everyone is cashing in.
    What I am not seeing is anyone saying "please hunt for free" or "I will pay you to hunt".

But to the OP. If you can find enough folks to make a living congratulations. It sounds like a dream job.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I was watching a hog hunting segment of a TV show the other day, and the hunter wasn't allowed to shoot any sows because the landowner was managing his herd of hogs as game animals.

If you get into it you will see a lot of this sort of thing. 2 pig maximum, or extra trophy fees for big pigs, all the pigs you can shoot but you must quarter and carry out your own pigs.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

was this in Texas? In some other states feral swine are considered game animals.:facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I figured as much, thus the way I titled the thread. Just been contemplating some ways to get into the gun industry. Need to talk to my mom about the land our family owns in far east Texas. Weve been waiting for natural gas to get high enough to get a company to drill out there but perhaps there is another way we can make some money off that property. At the very least its maybe somewhere I could go hunting. Not even sure there are hogs out there in that swampland (although I'm pretty sure there are deer).

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I know land owners In Texas and farmers in Missouri that work together to breed pigs just for the purpose of hunting them. Like big racks on White tail deer these pigs are bred to have big "trophy" tusks. Hampshire, razor back and Russian imports are added to the stock pig populations on pig proof fence pastures to breed big pigs. Some farmers can't afford the fence and they just throw a few pigs out in the pasture.

But this is a big money game and everyone is cashing in.
    What I am not seeing is anyone saying "please hunt for free" or "I will pay you to hunt".

But to the OP. If you can find enough folks to make a living congratulations. It sounds like a dream job.
    What they are doing is not legal,( with very narrowly exceptions) and account for very little of the feral pig problem that Texas has.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    What they are doing is not legal,( with very narrowly exceptions) and account for very little of the feral pig problem that Texas has.

I don't understand, what exact activity are you referring to and what makes it illegal. What section of the penal code is being violated?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I know a few outfits that are eradicators, but they are few and far between. I would not consider it a business model. Too much money to be made having people pay you to shoot.

Top Bottom