• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Well boys I went hog huntin last weekend. What a joke. A buddy of mine found an ad for a hog hunt on e bay. $226 for 3 days, room and board, if you get ten hunters the second hog is free yada yada. So we signed up a few months ago. Then we had to register. Then I found out you have to pay a $100 gratuity when you arrive, oh and bring two bags of deer corn.

They have a "spot and stalk" hunt. Yeah real great. The "guide takes you and 2 other hunters out and drops you off and says pretty much walk that way and see back at camp, call if you get something. That evening we were going to use blinds. 11 hunters, 2 blinds. My buddy and I had scope mounted red spot lights so we figured we would take 1 other hunter with us. I ended with 2 guys (three to a tower blind). But everybody had to double up.

Instead of the corn being put in timed feeders they spread it out on the ground. Different then I have seen before. Then all there "pet" exotics came for lunch. We stayed out til 1030 pm. I went back at 0500. No hogs, no body had seen any. What a shocker when I walked the trail at about 0800, the corn was still there. I must add the the spot and stalk was not for me. I went with 2 others, one veteran hunter and the other I am not sure of. Anyway we were unable to keep track of each other. It was to thick. Therefore dangerous.

Other disappointments were the fees for skinning, after 101 pounds that went up to $45, so on and so on, when you got a 400 pound hog it would cost you $100. Oh I almost forgot, if you used there cooler it would cost you $10 per hog, not like you had a choice when it was 104 degrees outside.

Most of us left after lunch on Saturday, we figured we might as well get another meal for our money. I learned that when a website says "available" it means for a price.

I might add that 2 hunters did shoot 2 hogs. So if you are knew to hog hunting besure to ask alot of questions and get straight foreword answers.:banghead:
    ARJ Defense ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Almost any of the pay-to-play hog hunts are ridiculous in my opinion and I don't see the point in dropping $300 on a hog hunt. Sorry about the sh*ty trip.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Name the company. I think I know who you are talking about and if it is , then I am sorry about you being ripped off.

Cut and pasted from AR15.com:

.:: Welcome to Wild River Ranch ::.

No trophy fee
    No limit
    No per pound Fees
    No Hidden fees
    They let you use their night vision...again no fee
    Guide has a thermal Imager.
    All lodging and meals are included.
    Hunts are guaranteed.

If you don't even have an AR we will rent you one....for $25 per day. It is a decked out 6.8 SPC with SPC II chamber, VLTOR CASV-M, , suppressor, and 1 in 11" twist,and it wears a D-740 night scope.

Come on.....we'll get you a better deal

chris.wildriverranch@!gmail,.com

I have heard nothing but good things about Chris and his outfit. He probably kills as many hogs as I do and he does have some pretty cool toys.

Good luck.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    sorry about your experience...... i dont know where you hunted for hogs, but with extreme drought, the hogs here in south texas are staying close to water sources.... so unless the property is close to a good water source, hogs will be hard to come by.....

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Hate to hear that anyone had a shitty hunt, especially when they get charged out the wazzoo for scrapings.

This is why I love where I live, about a mile from the Red River and the hogs are plentiful. Theres some BLM land near here that they actually brought in a helicopter and killed BEAUCOUP hogs. What pissed me off though was that they just piled them up and left them to rot. Couldve fed the homeless or something with all that meat, but they just wasted it. :banghead:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hate to hear that anyone had a shitty hunt, especially when they get charged out the wazzoo for scrapings.

This is why I love where I live, about a mile from the Red River and the hogs are plentiful. Theres some BLM land near here that they actually brought in a helicopter and killed BEAUCOUP hogs. What pissed me off though was that they just piled them up and left them to rot. Couldve fed the homeless or something with all that meat, but they just wasted it. :banghead:

No they couldn't. Hogs are classified as domestic animals by USDA. The only way they can be donated is to quarantine them live for up to 180 days and then have them butchered by a USDA slaughterhouse.

You can not even donate them through Hunters for the Hungry.

Don't be pissed, coyotes and vultures need to eat too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Don't be pissed, coyotes and vultures need to eat too.

I think I would rather feed the yotes & vultures. If you only knew how much food is given away for free you might feel left out for having to buy it.:mad:
    Same thing goes with food stamp fraud.:mad:

Years back I was working @ a grocery store that had to be closed because the stealing & poor sales. Everyday I drove past a near buy church that had a food pantry. They generally had more folks in their lot then us.:banghead: Worse thing was watching these starving folks load up sack after sack into a better vehicle then I was driving.

I was taught that charity begins at home. If you can't get a hand out from family it might be because they know what a thieving POS you are.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    hog hunt

viking give me a shout in january and we will go hog hunting. I have a farm in the fairfield area and there are lots of hogs to shoot. I say January because my nephews like to deer hunt and I do not want to do anything to ruin that for them. All I ask is no drinking before the hunt, I want to make sure my cows do not look like hogs. No charge just trying to get the bad taste out of your memory.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    viking give me a shout in january and we will go hog hunting. I have a farm in the fairfield area and there are lots of hogs to shoot. I say January because my nephews like to deer hunt and I do not want to do anything to ruin that for them. All I ask is no drinking before the hunt, I want to make sure my cows do not look like hogs. No charge just trying to get the bad taste out of your memory.

That, right there, is a very nice offer.

Top Bottom