• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Travel every now and then to father in laws ranch. Last time I was there I had my pistol with me (XD45 Service) and we came across some hogs, not little ones, Texas hogs, I know my .45 was not close to the right pistol, but I was wondering on my next trip if my Marlin .357 mag rifle would work with the right ammo?
    Ammo ideas?
    Don't worry father in law had a .243 browning, lol.
    Military Camp

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Yes the .357 will work great, I've used one quite a bit with good results. Use any heavy (158-180gr) JHP or hardcase bullet and it'll get the job done with ease.

Roadkill Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For hogs I'd sure like something that started with a 4, but a .357 will do the job. I would use a good hard cast bullet - something with a lot of penetration. Remember, a hog's heart isn't located the same place it is on a deer. You need to go through the shoulder, not right behind it. Or else right below the ear.

T3hk1w1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    I use a 444 Marlin personally, but 357 Mag would work. I think that in close quarters a 44 Mag or 45 Colt would be better, though.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Heck I have kilt em with a 16oz claw hammer before! They where in a trap of course. I have also used a 22lr pistol also.
    Heck any thing will really work it is shot placement that counts.
    I once shot one with my AR and took the top of it's head off and it ran around for awhile with no brain in its head. They are just one tough animal.
    DRJ

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I personally like taking my Mosin Nagant hunting... if I find something it can't take down... well I should have been running in the first place.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Also do not forget the RRA LAR-8.
    BlackRifles002.jpg

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    My hog rifle is a beater mini 30. I obtained it for free(it was found in a pond by a coworker, I had the numbers run and it's clean), put on a hogue stock and a cheap red dot. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it'll work. :D

Top Bottom