• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtoddj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    sachse
    Anyone know of anyone around Lavon?wylie out that area that has hogs they need cleared. Its getting to be a fun time of year to get out and about. thanks
    Todd
    Capitol Armory ad

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I live in Wylie. You can call the parks department here. They allow hog hunting around the lake. You'll have to use a shotgun.

I don't know of anyone with private property looking to get rid of hogs......because I'd volunteer myself!!!

jtoddj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    sachse
    I guess I will give them a call, I dont mind tracking around the lake with my shotty. What type of ammo do I need, can I use slugs? U up for a late night adventure?

Briley9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Greetings,

What's your choice of firearm (besides a shotty) and caliber for hogs? and at what distance do you usually take the shot?

Thx,
    B9

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I guess I will give them a call, I dont mind tracking around the lake with my shotty. What type of ammo do I need, can I use slugs? U up for a late night adventure?

In the past, you had to use shot (I forget what number). It was insane and I called and talked to them about it. I am not taking credit for the change, but this year they changed it so you can use slugs in a smooth-bore shotgun. It is in the 'special methods hog season' that you can use a shotgun. No rifles or handguns. They begin taking applications on Dec 17, the actual hunting season is Jan 25 -April 30. They have some very promising areas open this year. PM me and I'll send you a link.

So, you need some slugs and a shotgun. I'm always up for hunting hogs. If you shoot me the PM, we can head up there on Dec 17th, get our permits and pick some good spots for the season.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Greetings,

What's your choice of firearm (besides a shotty) and caliber for hogs? and at what distance do you usually take the shot?

Thx,
    B9

My primary weapon has been a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Cassull. My wife uses her 25.06. Last week I bought a couple of AR's, one in .308 and one in the vanilla 5.56/.223.

The way I do it, I'm normally within 50 yards of the hogs. My wife will go any normal rifle distance with her 25.06.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I went out tonight for hogs....I'm lucky as I have a friend that just wants them cleared off his property. I let my 12 year old son pull the trigger on my brand new Saiga 7.62 and he dropped a 200 lb sow. I like the 7.62x39 for pigs. cheap to buy ammo for and gets the job done.

Texas Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Greetings,

Thx,
    B9

It's all about where you put the bullet. ;)

I use a .270 and prefer the ear shot. When we hunt government my muzzleloader with a 300 grain shockwave and 120 grains of 777 puts a hurt on them too.

Top Bottom