• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I went hog hunting last night for the first time ever, my sole piece of amateur advice would be bring enough gun :).

+1. I have executed many hogs in my traps by shooting them behind the ear with a .22 LR, but I recommend using something with some punch if you don't want to be tracking 'em. I carry an AR15 in 6.8SPC on my Rhino when I work on my ranch, and I've used it to dispatch many of the porkers. A 50-cal Beowulf isn't necessary, but these pests are pretty tough...
    Venture Surplus ad

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I never kill the piglets. It's just me, but I have a bit of "give 'em a fightin' chance" in me........they haven't done anything wrong at that point and I can't bring myself to taking any of them.

Back in May-early June I happened upon a nice jumble of hogs on the ranch muching in a Johnson Grass field killling one promptly. Shortly after I made the shot and the herd fled I herd an odd noise and turned around to see around a dozen little piglets running right up to me. All about the size of a cottontail. They got within 10'-12' feet of me before realizing what I was and stopped in their tracks......some falling down and running into one another....it was rather comical actually. They gathered themselves up and began running off in another direction as fast as they could (which was about a moderately brisk walking pace) squealing for momma the whole way. I followed them for a ways just to see where they headed off to until they confirmed my suspicions and I let them be. I couldn't have killed them for anything at that point.

Using a .223 SPS Varmit I was trying for a neck shot but the hog was walking and I didn't lead him quite enough so I ended up hitting square in the shoulder. He went down like a ton of bricks and the rest of the herd (probably 15-20 with about 5 piglets) scattered but when I got to him he "attempted" to get up and come after me.

I hunt hogs with three calibers.........223, .303, and .308. I've killed far more hogs with the .223 than with the others. When hunting with the .223 I aim front of shoulders.....neck, head. But, I have killed hogs with .223 with a shot to the lungs.......yes, they squeal and wriggle about for a minute or so and I keep my space, but they go. I've also hit one nice very mature male in the haunches with the .303 and it didn't kill him outright. I had to pump another into his neck to kill him.

I've had hogs that I hit on the first shot, who then drop, and then get up and run off that I find later with both .223 and .303. The only time I used my Ishy it was a done deal, so, can't comment there.

txman123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    abilene
    I live in abilene and Im dying to hog hunt no one will take me till deer season, id rather not wait that long, anyone around here mind if I tag along? I have a bushmaster ar15 i can use on hog

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I like them split & smoked or the way the asian do them.
    Mix the following ingredients together and cook in the saucepan:

1 cup Red Vinegar
    ½ cup Water
    2 tbsp Wine
    3 tbsp Maltose
    Marinade:
    *Mix these ingredients together:*

2 tbsp Five-spice powder
    5 cloves Garlic, minced
    5 Shallots, minced
    2 tbsp Sugar
    2 pieces Nan Ru / Nam Yue (Red Fermented Bean Curd)
    2 tbsp Bean Sauce/Bean Paste (in dark brown)
    3 tbsp Fine Salt

Directions:
    Use water (70% boiling water + 30% cool water) to soak the suckling pig for about 10 seconds. Remove and drain. (This is for cleaning the pig)
    Use a chopper to cut at the pig's belly (from its mouth to its anus). Flatten and place on a table. Remove the bones of its paws/knuckles/legs.
    Spread the marinade in the pig's abdominal cavity. Use the fork to strut the pig by piercing from the head to the legs. Be careful not to damage the skin and shape.
    Use the wooden sticks to strut the pig's hands/paws/legs.
    Pour some boiling water on the pig's skin. Brush the skin seasoning on the skin evenly. Place the pig at a cool and appropriately ventilated place for 4 hours.
    Use low heat to roast the pig. Keep (1) turning the pig, (2) brushing oil on the pig skin and (3) using a needle to poke the pig skin (for removing excess oil) while roasting it. If the pig skin (or part of the pig skin) is not red enough, you must brush oil on it again. Roast for about 50 minutes, cut into pieces and serve. If you are skillful enough, you may build the pieces into a pig shape again.

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Them young ones are mighty fine roasted whole.

Oh, I don't disagree there at all. I'm sure they're scrumptious and I'd partake of some if anyone was cooking some up. No problem there at all because I love wild hog meat. But, I personally just can't bring myself to taking the little ones......:(

That's just me and I don't have any problem with anyone who does.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    This old guy that was in camp with us in africa told of shooting an axis deer. When he was dressing it out he figured out it was about to give birth.( DUMB ASS) Feeling really bad about it & not wanting to let it go to waste he claims he roasted the fetus. also went off on how good it was & how he ate the who thing himself. Needless to say after that story no one in camp spoke to him.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    This old guy that was in camp with us in africa told of shooting an axis deer. When he was dressing it out he figured out it was about to give birth.( DUMB ASS) Feeling really bad about it & not wanting to let it go to waste he claims he roasted the fetus. also went off on how good it was & how he ate the who thing himself. Needless to say after that story no one in camp spoke to him.

All I can say is WOW.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You mean he didn't accidentally get mauled by a lion or a Buff. He does not sound very smart.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You mean he didn't accidentally get mauled by a lion or a Buff. He does not sound very smart.

I use to book of an outfitter in RSA & these were some clients that by having them in camp took care of my daily rate.

The stupidity started when this guy & his son decided to drive to Atlanta rather then fly, in the name of saving money. The three days it took them to drive I worked & earned more money.

I met up with them in the airport where they were over weight in luggage to the tune of $500.00. The crap they brought was mind boggling. Atlanta is a rather large & busy airport & getting them from the ticket counter to the boarding gate had me smoking like a chimney.

It's a 21 hour flight & I'm very glad not to have sat by them on the plane. I got up & went back & reminded them that they needed to walk around as much as possible (Deep vein thrombosis).

The airport in South Africa was even worse then in Atlanta. I finally told them if the did not think I knew what I doing or going they could find their own way.

Neither one of them could walk more the 50 yards without getting winded. That put them sitting in blinds or driving around. The son (in his 40's) was bitching about me killing stuff when they came up empty. One day in a ground blind he collapsed a plastic chair & needed the P.H. & the tracker both to get him off the ground. The son finally got his first animal by having one P.H. flying around directing us in a hunting car. The dude just about burst into tears at his kill. There was no smearing him with blood. That night around the fire my buddy made a big deal & gave him a little trinket of the fire cartridge case w/ some hair from his kill. The pud tossed it into the fire.

The old man was in heaven while in camp & was a decent hunter, just really to old & crippled up to be doing it. The son wanted to go do a cultural tour & hated being in camp. We figured we would take the son to Sun City Suncity South Africa, but when we mentioned debauchery he pussed out.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Oooooooo so that is why his riffle didn't "malfunction" on the lion hunt! That does sound like a good trip into the bushveld tho. How'd you fair in the wall hanging category? I've always wanted to hunt or at least go to Africa. My wife makes fun of me for reading to much Capstick. :rolleyes:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Gemsbuck are the prettiest damn critter in Africa.
    Roan, sable & bongo are fare better looking.
    I think some of the things you might see that are uncommon are far better looking. Bat eared foxes, secretary birds or a rhino marking with urine from 10 yards come to mind. Hell I watched a bunch of ants move thru an area that would make for a great TV show if you could catch their whole trip.

Lots of great memories. The problem with hunting is your gun is in your hand lots of times you wish you had a camera. I seen one alpha baboon on a place that we were checking leopard baits that I wish I could of shot. Didn't want to scare off the leopard though.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sable are cool I read about on of those in hunting magazine taking three shots with a 375 H&H and still trying to charge. Can't beat that kind of spirit. And you are right I have found just in plane Ole white tail or hog hunting, there many times I'd wished I'd brought my camera along.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sable are cool I read about on of those in hunting magazine taking three shots with a 375 H&H and still trying to charge. Can't beat that kind of spirit. And you are right I have found just in plane Ole white tail or hog hunting, there many times I'd wished I'd brought my camera along.

My gemsbuck took a 400 grain .416 in what was a perfect shot, & it still ran 35-40 yards. Seems that most game animals in africa are always in that fight or flight response from all the predators. Brain & spine shot are the only thing stopping them in their tracks

Top Bottom