• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Going hog hunting tonite. I've been before but first time with night vision. I'm taking Kel-tec 9mm, Bush AR, and Winchester lever .357. I think I have everything coverd firearm wise. Any tips or hints?
    Hurley's Gold

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Kingofwylietx you were right we saw the herd at about midnight. We saw a herd of 30 plus. We stalked them on foot for about an hour. We got within 30 yards of them and unleashed the fury(actually shot two times). I had a bit of a problem, it was very humid and night vision and rifle scopes kept on fogging up. I also forgot HP and just had FMJ with me for the AR. I saw tons of blood but no big hogs, we shot them right on a fence line some ran through the fence. I shot two piglets with my Kel-Tec 9mm. One piglet came close enough to catch. I hope to go again in a couple of weeks, if anyone else wants to go just let me know its free. My buddy that owns the land has shot 11 confirmed this year. They have been tearing up his fences, he wants to get rid of them. Here is the pic DCortez [url]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/lancebaxter79/062009_013500.jpg[/URL]

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    062009_013500.jpg

Too bad they are pests, would have been cute pets.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You can hunt them in the day too, it tends to be much harder. The best times are from a little before sunset all the way to early morning. They move around a lot more at night, but plenty of folks have seen them in the day.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Damned if y'all weren't closer I would take y'all up on this. What kind of night vision are you using? Once I get my suppressor on the .300 Whisper that's totally night vision capable I think we could have a very fun night.

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Damned if y'all weren't closer I would take y'all up on this. What kind of night vision are you using? Once I get my suppressor on the .300 Whisper that's totally night vision capable I think we could have a very fun night.

My night vision is a cheap Gen I spoting scope with IR light. I put an Infared bulb in my stinger flashlight it makes all the differance. I want some night vision goggles.:cool:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My night vision is a cheap Gen I spoting scope with IR light. I put an Infared bulb in my stinger flashlight it makes all the differance. I want some night vision goggles.:cool:

A monocular is a better way to go then goggles. It can be weapon mounted behind a Aimpoint or Eotech, or worn on a helmet. I picked up a Laser Devices Dual Beam that when mounted & sighted in makes night shooting a video game. I wear my PVS-14 on a helmet mount so I can navigate around. A PVS-7 is a little better for driving IMHO, but I like to have one eye not under night vision.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hog hunt

Hey WTXshooter, where's your friends place located ? I recently put the post up for a volunteer hog hunter in central TX. If I'm looking at the map right, you're about(Sweetwater,TX) 4 plus hrs from my place in Leander. That might be just outside my comfort zone travel-wise. Anyhow, if you could let me know when you're headed out again(and where), I'm always game for a hog hunt. Also, as stated in my post, I'm happy to bring a 4 wheeler and/or camping stuff to make it that much more fun/conveneint. PM me or post some details here, thanks - Texmex

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Going hog hunting tonite. I've been before but first time with night vision. I'm taking Kel-tec 9mm, Bush AR, and Winchester lever .357. I think I have everything coverd firearm wise. Any tips or hints?
    I'm late to the dance, but here's another hog-hunting tip:
    Most first-time hog hunters shoot at the wrong target. If you take the same kill zone as you would with a deer, you're likely to end up with a gut-shot hog. The heart/lung area is a little further forward, so a shot behind the shoulder isn't a good one (at least with a firearm). I aim behind the ear or at the neck, and they seldom run. That's not a small target like it is on a deer. I've killed over 120 hogs off my ranch in the past 2 years, and I've hit 'em just about everywhere ;)

slodsm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Tyler Tx
    I went hog hunting last night for the first time ever, my sole piece of amateur advice would be bring enough gun :).

I took a decent sized male at 150-200 yards after sunset over a bottom using the roof of a side by side for a shooting rest. Using a .223 SPS Varmit I was trying for a neck shot but the hog was walking and I didn't lead him quite enough so I ended up hitting square in the shoulder. He went down like a ton of bricks and the rest of the herd (probably 15-20 with about 5 piglets) scattered but when I got to him he "attempted" to get up and come after me. The round had shattered his left shoulder and a peice of it had broken off and gone clean through and exited the other side but he was more than mad enough to try to take me down with him hahaha. A quick head shot from 10 ft at most finished him off but it made me think about it for a minute. I will definitely have more gun next time I go out.

shona7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    East Texas
    I am a new Texan [from Minnesota] am retired, and have been hearing about all the hogs here. can someone point me in the right direction? I live near the Toledo Bend res. & would be happy to help eliminate some of these "problem" hogs, I keep hearing about

Top Bottom