• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CC Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Corpus
    last night a friend and I went walking around a ranch looking for HOGS. Armed only with two 40cal hand guns was is a smart thing to do. I would like to know can you kill a hog with a full metal jacket 165gr. bullet
    DK Firearms

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Best thing was, you did have FMJs. Self defense bullets were not designed for hogs. You can kill a hog with a .22, but its all about shot placement. But if you had a hog charging at you, it's not easy hitting them behind the ear.. I personally wouldn't go hog hunting with a pistol.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    A group of my buddies and I was out driving one night and a huge hog came running out so we drove after it and all we had was a g27 a g22 and a g17 it took alot of rounds up close to kill it the only reason it stopped was from a round breaking its front right leg. we found 40 and 9 bullets stopped in the fat part on the shoulders didnt even penetrate past that.

CC Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Corpus
    I guess it was a stupid of us too think we could kill a hog with a hand gun. next time take a rifle or a shotgun with us. and to Chupacabra Hunter i did't miss a rabbit with a shotgun at 5 feet way. I guess the rabbit are laughing at us that night at there rabbit meeting.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I thought it was illegal to hunt with FMJ's IIRC.

EDIT: I think if you can hunt with a bow, you can hunt with a handgun.

The hardest part with the service calibers if finding the right bullets. You want a heavy one that is geared more for penetration than expansion.

And you have to hit what your aiming at too.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I thought it was illegal to hunt with FMJ's IIRC.

. . . .

I read the whole means and methods, and I can't find anything prohibiting FMJ usage. I don't know where I heard that.

Though, it does look like it is illegal to put a laser on your gun, unless you have some kind of visual disablility.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I heard that is was illegal to hunt with a laser, but wasn't sure if it was true or not.

Here's the answer:

"Artificial light of any form that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates a game animal or bird may not be used as an aid to hunt, except battery-powered scoping devices that project a light or dot only inside the scope; pin sight lights on archery equipment; or laser sighting devices used by legally blind hunters, or hunters who have a documented permanent physical disability that prevents them from using traditional firearm sighting devices."

"A person who uses a laser sighting device because of a permanent physical disability that prevents them from using a traditional firearm sighting device must have in possession a signed statement from a physician or optometrist certifying that the person is incapable of using a traditional firearm sighting device and be accompanied by a person who is not physically disabled or legally blind, has a hunting license, and is at least 13 years of age."

TPWD: Means and Methods

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think the key word is "Inside the scope"

Laser scopes are fine, lasers on the end of the gun aren't (like Crimson trace grips).

Thats how I read it.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    This thread is about hog hunting. Feral hogs are not game animals, javelina are game animals. You can use lasers for hunting feral hogs, which is what most people refer to as 'hog hunting', if you are on private property. There are no limits and about the only restriction is that you need a hunting license. Don't rely upon the depredating defense, the license is cheap enough and easy enough to obtain.

Javelina is completely different, see the TPWD source cited above.

Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    saw the nuge take a hog on tv while sitting against a tree...

had a glock .40 cal with a laser, drew from the holster and pointed the dot and all was said.

so yes hunting hogs with a handgun is effective, and will work.

so

Unless I am off on my Uncle Ted trivia, he hunts with a G20 in 10mm. I do not think hes a fan of the .40 since I have hear him refer to it repeatedly as the "short and weak".
    I would not want to look for hog with my .40's. I would prefer .44 MAG and 10MM and above just for good measure.
    He likes the big BOOM!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    technically the 10mm is a .40 cal. : ) He didn't say 40 S&W.

Thanks King, for reminding me of that fact. I knew that, . . . but I forgot . . . .

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    This thread is about hog hunting. Feral hogs are not game animals, javelina are game animals. You can use lasers for hunting feral hogs, which is what most people refer to as 'hog hunting', if you are on private property. There are no limits and about the only restriction is that you need a hunting license. Don't rely upon the depredating defense, the license is cheap enough and easy enough to obtain.

Javelina is completely different, see the TPWD source cited above.

Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.

Thanks King for clarifying this... Laser would be fun knocking out a few piggies, but I'll keep it with the scope. As for the Hunting Licenses, already purchased and sitting in my wallet. It's to cheap to gamble with, especially dealing with the GW.

Top Bottom