• satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    What's the "brand"???

rhino,

IF I remember correctly (I've slept since then), the little single-shot was made by BOND of London.
    (Fyi, any number of UK/European firms made "garden guns" & "parlor guns" in that era, so I may well be WRONG.)

YES, "parlor guns" were made to shoot INDOORS.= Most were .30 caliber or smaller.

yours, satx

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    How can an a gun which is not suppressed, be deemed suppressed?
    I had a LEO question me about a bolt action .22 shooting CB rounds in it. He was friendly about it, but was asking how it was suppressed, etc. After explaining how CB rounds were loaded, he got it.

Satx’s story does not surprise me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had a LEO question me about a bolt action .22 shooting CB rounds in it. He was friendly about it, but was asking how it was suppressed, etc. After explaining how CB rounds were loaded, he got it.

Satx’s story does not surprise me.

So, you are not surprised his brother was questioned, which I could understand, or you think that the ATF agent was correct?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    How can an a gun which is not suppressed, be deemed suppressed?

ZX9RCAM; All,

MAINLY because the BATFE Special Agents of the Washington DC Field Office seem to "not have enough to do" & TRY to find "technical violations" of the law/regulations that often DO NOT EXIST.

That Field Office "has gotten their hand slapped" by the US District Courts several times for trying to "create" crimes.

Three examples:
    1. TRYING to get people at Gun shows & flea markets to violate the law by offering LOTS of cash to break the law on firearms sales. - In one such case, using a pretty female & "sweet-talking" a gun-owner at the Manassas gun-show that the "undercover agent" was a "DC resident" & offering the man 1,000.oo cash for a <300.oo used 9mm pistol.
    (IF that is not "attempted entrapment" by using SEX to "create a crime", it SHOULD be.)
    2. Trying to charge a man from Northern VA with "Constructive Intent to Possess" a "sawed-off shotgun" because "the target" owned BOTH a pump 20 gauge shotgun & a hacksaw.
    and
    2. Another "Constructive Intent" case where a Tea Party member was harassed & threatened in 2010 with arrest because he owned flashlight batteries, copper wire, an electrical switch, pieces of plumbing pipe & about 2 pounds of black powder. (The "target" owned a contracting company" in Woodbridge, VA.)= The BATFE agent claimed that the Tea-Partier COULD HAVE made pipe-bombs from his possessions, though there was NO evidence whatever that the man INTENDED to commit any criminal act.

NOTE to All: The USA has VERY FEW "general intent" crimes. Generally, you must have a "Specific intent" to commit a crime to be charged/convicted.
    (The exceptions are traffic violations like DWI/DUID.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Which would make the ATF agent's "assassins dream" comment all the more funny...

Rhino,

Fwiw, IF a person "had the specific intent" to commit MURDER, the SA might be 100% CORRECT. = I suspect that the little rifle could be used by a murderer (who is a talented marksman) to kill/wound any number of people, as it really is about as quiet as a pellet gun AND if the murderer was shooting from a concealed position.
    Such a vicious criminal might well shoot several people BEFORE anyone noticed the deaths of the victims.
    (During WWII a female British agent, code-name: Evelyn, killed/wounded NUMEROUS German officers in Occupied France with a suppressed firearm & in each case escaped before anyone realized what had happened. = Btw, "Evelyn" survived WWII.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Those vermin are everywhere. If there’s an open patch of ground in TX, a hog is going to find it and mess it up.

billtool,

NOT just in TX. - When I lived in Prince William County, VA in 2009-2011, a local farmer LOST his entire crop of tomatoes (about 30 acres) in ONE night to feral hogs. = THOUSANDS of dollars worth of tomatoes lost "wiped him out".
    (Much to his surprise/horror, he found out that "crop damage by animals" is NOT covered under his "all perils" insurance.)

yours, satx

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    This was a common occurrence in CA as well. I worked for large salad company in Salinas (just outside of Monterey) and the farmers just south would have the hogs come out of the coastal mountains at night and devastate crop after crop. The farmers we're so greedy, they would not let people in to kill off said vermin, but would charge people to hunt per hog.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    The wild hogs in CA are a revenue generator for the Gov't. Used to shoot them same as a coyote, until the state wanted to know how many hogs there were in the state. They started making hunters buy a book of 5 tags at $9.95 a book (or somewhere there about). When the state saw that people were buying lots of tags, they changed again and now charge $19.95 per tag IIRC. There is no limit to the amount of tags you can purchase...more money for the state. I would generally hunt a private orchard (800+ acres of citrus) with game warden-no tag required :)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    This was a common occurrence in CA as well. I worked for large salad company in Salinas (just outside of Monterey) and the farmers just south would have the hogs come out of the coastal mountains at night and devastate crop after crop. The farmers we're so greedy, they would not let people in to kill off said vermin, but would charge people to hunt per hog.

cvgunman,

It's a little more complicated than that. = In several States, NO farmer can afford to allow hunters on their property because of "strict liability" & "vicarious liability" civil laws.
    (Offhand, I can think of 3 such States: CA, MD & MS.)

In such jurisdictions, a plaintiff can SUE/WIN a civil judgement, even if they injure themselves and/or someone else by being STUPID/CARELESS and/or even doing something UNLAWFUL.= In a civil case out of Los Angles, a "motorist" sued /won a civil judgement in a case, where the plaintiff ran off the road & ran into a tree, injuring himself. - The jury found that it was "unreasonably dangerous" to have a TREE in the owner's yard.
    (Also, remind me sometime to tell you about the "notorious hot pickle case" out of Baltimore County MD, wherein a woman from Baltimore got a 600.000.oo jury verdict from WENDY'S, despite the FACT that she was NOT injured. - In another similar civil case out of Jackson, MS, a housebreaker successfully sued a homeowner for injuring himself while actually burglarizing the defendant's house!!).

yours, satx

Last edited:

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Rhino,

Fwiw, IF a person "had the specific intent" to commit MURDER, the SA might be 100% CORRECT. = I suspect that the little rifle could be used by a murderer (who is a talented marksman) to kill/wound any number of people, as it really is about as quiet as a pellet gun AND if the murderer was shooting from a concealed position.
    Such a vicious criminal might well shoot several people BEFORE anyone noticed the deaths of the victims.
    (During WWII a female British agent, code-name: Evelyn, killed/wounded NUMEROUS German officers in Occupied France with a suppressed firearm & in each case escaped before anyone realized what had happened. = Btw, "Evelyn" survived WWII.)

yours, satx
    I get it, I was thinking the BOND manufacturer reference made it comical.

Top Bottom