• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In this area, the Feds condemned land that had been in families for generations so they could build a huge dam and shallow lake. The project was blasted by environmentalists and finally reduced to a tiny fraction of the original plan. Of course, they kept the land and it's all Federal now. The place is lousy with pigs but do you think hunting would be allowed? (You know that answer.) That's where the trappers are catching the pigs for relocation. Maybe they'll relocate them around your place. The whole thing is a giant FUBAR and the residents are plenty fed up.

Flash

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    the only good hog *puts sunglasses on* is a dead hog..... and then cooked.... I said it once already but I want to participate in this "Hog Lynching" mob we have growing here

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    In this area, the Feds condemned land that had been in families for generations so they could build a huge dam and shallow lake. The project was blasted by environmentalists and finally reduced to a tiny fraction of the original plan. Of course, they kept the land and it's all Federal now. The place is lousy with pigs but do you think hunting would be allowed? (You know that answer.) That's where the trappers are catching the pigs for relocation. Maybe they'll relocate them around your place. The whole thing is a giant FUBAR and the residents are plenty fed up.

Flash
    What is this program called and who's responsible for carrying it out? Sounds straight up asinine.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What is this program called and who's responsible for carrying it out? Sounds straight up asinine.

You really opened up a can of worms on this one. This is a gigantic FUBAR that has left the old line residents and property owners in a complete state of rage.

I'll sum it up....
    The Feds grabbed the land
    Sierra club filed suit stating that the environmental impact of the lake was going to destroy the largest Cypress swamp on the Gulf Coast. Because the shallow lake water was too high for the Cypress trees to survive, it would destroy the swamp.
    The project was stopped and redesigned/reduced in size.
    The Feds said.....we'll keep the land anyway BUT we should refine the land to make it a better habitat for public use.
    The Feds determine that the land is already good habitat so they stopped enhancement. Now, the land just sits in the rough and you and I aren't allowed in it.
    The water project was reduced to a simple lock system on the river which kept the salt/brackish water from going north from the Gulf based upon wind and tide changes. That would contaminate drinking water sources.

Here's the general history of the project. Please note paragraph 15 where the Feds decided not to improve the land for public use because it was already great habitat for wildlife. So the only thing they did with the land was post it as "off limits" for you and me.

816 F.2d 205

If you want to see misuse of Federal power to condemn land for a project, then change the project making the land grab totally unnecessary, it's all here. Once they got the land, they let it sit. Now, the wild pigs are out of control, they hire trappers to relocate the pigs all on our dime. Yup....that's all here, too! Just don't get caught entering OUR land.

Back to the OP with apologies......If you want pigs running out of control and totally wild........we got 'em! Just don't go in there to hunt them.

Flash

BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Did you spill some corn on your land by mistake? Oh darn. Beware that it may attract unwanted feral hogs...
    If I wanted them here I would have done that (not to say others in the area haven't done just that). With progress comes expansion and with expansion the forest comes down.

Thanks for the offers to help, but with a few of my buddies in the area we are learning to enjoy a riddening of the critters. Some of the folks around here have traps set up, but you don't always get a hog ... deer seem to get caught as well. I may pick up a trap if I can find a good one at a reasonable price, but for now I'll just stick to my guns...

Still waiting for them little ones to come out, so we can take them out before they get any smarter (and I should also say .. destructive). They appear to be only around 10 pounds, if that much. So they ain't very old.

We did get some good meat off the sow and will be cooking some up this weekend. Some sausage is also in the making. We'll let you know how the BBQ turns out. Also, had to make some room in the freezer to accommodate the extra meat.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge

Flash
    I remember as a teenager working cows in that area and seeing piles of rebar, wire mesh, and gravel placed along the Trinity/ Old/ Lost rivers. It was just sitting there going to waste, taxpayer money down the tubes. Kind of like the SuperCollider project. I don't think any body can even lease that river area for grazing anymore.

BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    When replacing property line fences use a wire called Staytite 50. I have had good results with this product, it will keep the hogs out.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Bty, I did check out the website and see a couple of dealers near me...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There was a TV series when I was a kid named "Have Gun - Will Travel" The guy's business card was set up like this"

Have Gun - Will Travel
    Wire Paladin
    San Francisco

When I cruise by this thread, I always see that card in my head.

HOGS
    Have Gun will Travel
    Wire Flash
    Baytown

Flash

Top Bottom