Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The question is, how do you make a reasonable argument against utter nonsense when the person you are arguing with will completely ignore your response and go back to...
    Sometimes you can't. I recently had a discussion online with someone who said I was pure evil and the laws under discussion (as well as their enforcement) were also pure evil.

That was their exact phrase: pure evil.

I believe I reasonably responded that if I accept the premise that I'm pure evil then they, of course, are completely right in everything they say. Since I can't accept that premise and the other person viewed it as an unimpeachable fact, I simply informed them that no cogent reply was possible. And that was the end of the conversation.

The disheartening thing about all this is that such a characterization removes the conversation from fact-based to simply articles of faith. The gun control debate then becomes a religious question and, frankly, I learned a long time ago that trying to argue someone out of their religion is a fools errand. I won't do it; it's a waste of everybodys time and energy for no tangible result.

I see your point, but have no idea what the solution is.
    I've been thinking since my last post and your reply seems to reinforce where my brain is tonite. If the need for oppressive gun control is an article of religious faith, maybe there is no solution for swaying the people who believe that way.

Maybe we should accept that.

Maybe we should give up on them and simply look for people who are still open to new ideas or, at least, still willing to listen to logic. Maybe the most efficient use of our time begins with identifying those people to target with our message that civil rights isn't just something that people marched for in the 1960s.

Along those lines, I've always felt that youth outreach is important. It's just too bad that effective youth outreach is so damn inefficient. We can't take every 12-year-old in the country to Hicksville and let them blow up a car with a shot from a rifle. If we could, the movement to destroy our firearms civil rights would be dead in a generation.

I'm still looking for the sweet spot in promoting civil rights where gun ownership is concerned. I'll never give up looking for efficient ways to educate large numbers. But the more I think about it, the more discouraged I become.
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    "Wage Peace" is stupid but it does express an admirable sentiment in a remarkably digestible format. Us gun rights advocates need something like that. We need to move past and improve upon "...from my cold, dead fingers."
    I haven't read the book, but I've always liked "More guns, less crime."

If the need for oppressive gun control is an article of religious faith, maybe there is no solution for swaying the people who believe that way.

Maybe we should accept that.

Maybe we should give up on them and simply look for people who are still open to new ideas or, at least, still willing to listen to logic.
    yep... Anytime someone refutes facts and reason over their own opinion, you know they have a deep rooted belief in it. While not a religion in the traditional sense, there are definitely people who worship the state. There is no point wasting time trying to "convert" them. There are however tons of people that are mostly just apathetic observers, and parrot the ideas they see on SNL or The Daily Show. What we need is some funny people.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ben, what you said about kids is spot on. I will give up whatever ammo I have to put a kid on the range and let them see what shooting is really all about. I think the next generation is the key. Otherwise all of our hard work will be washed away in 10 years.

I try to only debate the religiously anti gunners if there are people with common sense near by and then it is somewhat tricky. It requires just as much effort to keep the conversation centered around fact as it does to refute the inaccurate information they try to pass as fact. Usually something like "why are your guns more important than the lives of children".

If the argument takes place in front of people who just don't know much and aren't completely brain dead AND it is handled correctly, the absurdity of the anti side will show but it requires a lot of self control and effort keeping the conversation centered around reality and not emotional gibberish.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Marg Helgenberger said "one can only hope" that members of the NRA get shot."

I'm going to personalize this for a moment.

I've been an NRA member for nearly my entire life, have never harmed anyone with a gun but have been a teacher who helped thousands of people find a better way. This Hollywood slime ball would prefer to see me shot......violently murdered....... because we differ in our Second Amendment views! What a piece of crap!

I don't like the word "HATE" but I have an intense dislike for Obama, Biden, Feinstein, Shumer and all Libtards like Helgenberger and Jim Carrey who work to trash the US Constitution. Even so, nothing that vile could ever come out of my mouth!

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Marg Helgenberger said "one can only hope" that members of the NRA get shot."

I'm going to personalize this for a moment.

I've been an NRA member for nearly my entire life, have never harmed anyone with a gun but have been a teacher who helped thousands of people find a better way. This Hollywood slime ball would prefer to see me shot......violently murdered....... because we differ in our Second Amendment views! What a piece of crap!

I don't like the word "HATE" but I have an intense dislike for Obama, Biden, Feinstein, Shumer and all Libtards like Helgenberger and Jim Carrey who work to trash the US Constitution. Even so, nothing that vile could ever come out of my mouth!

Flash

You're a better man than me.
    I hate 'em.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    bs213.gif Another Libtard Moonbat !

coexist-firearm-gun-manufacturer-logo-sticker.jpg

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's unfortunate but Helgenberger and the rest of her libiturd-leaning ilk actually believe the inane stupidity they continuously spew as though it's written gospel. Trying to change their minds would be more difficult than getting a Muslim to forsake and disavow Islam (meaning Submission in Arabic).

Refuting their stupidity is our only logical action ... refuting by continuing to disseminate proven facts and figures. We may not make any inroads with the libiturd nimrods but we can, through the same repetition that the libiturds use to spread their manure ... er... lies, get Joe and Jane Average Citizen, who has no understanding of guns, gun ownership and gun owners, to finally realize that the libiturds ARE lying and distorting any facts they might quote. Hell, look at Obuttf##kcare.....the lying sack of shit in the White House has continued to spew the lies and misinformation about that so-called "affordable" option and that you could keep your current insurance and you could keep your doctor. The country IS starting to wake up, seeing as how all that shit has been given the dubious title of Lie of the Year.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'd be appreciative if you'd expand on that. It sorta meshes with some of my past experiences.
    Well, if you try to deliver a message in a dry and factual way, you tend to bore a lot of people and they just tune out. Trying to deliver that message in an adversarial way naturally puts people on the defensive. Being humorous engages people in a subject matter they might otherwise not pay attention to and humor also makes it easier to think about ideas that run contrary to your current preconceived notions. In a way, humor is emotionally disarming. Additionally, since comedy is supposed to be "edgy", it tends to lead public opinion.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Here's a pic of Marg after her latest surgery:

Attachments

• Marg.jpg
      Marg.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 75
    Every Day Man