Join TexasGunTalk

Holster cant for draw or concealment?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Higgins909, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jjkukla

jjkukla New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    I use holsters with and without cant, and I found it has been easier for me to draw WITHOUT a cant. I have tendonitis and manipulating my wrist to draw from a canted holster can sometimes be awkward and painful. Whereas keeping my wrist inline with my forearm makes a vertical draw less stressful on the joint and tendon.
    Take a minute and do an image search of "ulnar deviation" and you'll see what I mean.

2. MikePotts

MikePotts Active Member Lifetime Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hill Country
    As my arthritic wrists get worse, I sympathise with jjkuklae but still find that some degree of forward rake works best for me to prevent 'printing' in a non-permissive environment.

jjkukla likes this.
  3. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    To the OP:
    Get one of those polymer "rotary" type holsters (such as IMI Defense "Roto-Rig," or a Cytac)...the ones with 2 serrated disks as the "connector" between holster and belt clip & with the "button" retention system for the gun itself. You can adjust the cant 360 degrees -- find the exact angle most comfortable for you. IIRC, Blackhawk Serpa holsters allow for cant adjustments, but nowhere near the the angles rotary type holsters have.
    Also, with the button retention systems these polymer holsters have, your gun won't fall out accidentally no matter what position your body is in (like that FBI guy a while back who dropped his dancing at that party).
    I need a certain cant myself as I carry cross-draw, so the most comfortable angle for a smooth/natural draw is essential. I carry openly though, so there's no outer clothing to lift up for me in order to draw. While a good/positive retention system is an absolute MUST for an OCer (a simple friction-fit won't do!), were I carrying concealed, being able to adjust the cant to a specific angle AND have positive retention would still be very useful (to me)...
    Most of the very few "standard" (typical, traditional) holsters that DO have can't adjustments are quite limited re: cant angles and if those few angles won't work for you, you have no other options...with a "rotary" holster you have MANY cant options -- one is SURE to work for you!
    Good luck,
    -- BR
    (President, Open Carry El Paso)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Any feedback?

5. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    9:00 cant for me IWB. Has worked for years no problem and feels better. Without the cant it didn't feel as natural or comfortable.

6. oljames3

oljames3 New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Elgin, Texas
    I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch the same way whether openly (my default) or concealed. I prefer a forward cant of about 5 degrees. I use a Safariland 7TS ALS holster and the Quick Lock System. The QLS and the Safariland belt slide that I use both have slots that enable me to adjust the cant. Almost straight up works best for me.

7. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Hutto
    I've been testing out full forwards cant of my CYA holster, for my Shield 9mm. I'm not sure how much cant there really is, but it does help with the grip of the gun grabbing my shirt. Draw is a little odd but manageable. I have my glock 17 at a further cant. I think my glock might conceal better though. I'm not sure if the holster hides it a bit deeper (Hide it Deep brand) or what. I recently bought a shirt and am guessing all my other shirts are boys and my new shirt is a men's :laughing: Although it was the smallest size I could find, it fits me length wise way better... Maybe it's how button up shirts work?

I have a universal OWB plastic pancake style holster for my g17. It didn't conceal very well under my old shirts, so I labeled it a Range holster or if I ever decide to open carry. This also makes me unsure of any OWB holsters for concealed carry. I'm very tempted to open carry, the next time I mow the lawn. :green:

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Interesting. I'd appreciate an example or two of holsters with button retention systems you think are suitable for concealed carry. I've found nothing of that sort that I like.

9. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I am past the point of wanting to do back flips while dancing that I need that much retention

oldag likes this.
  10. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Here’s one I’ve actually used for CC with a full-size double stack 9mm. Adjust your wardrobe for the method of carry. c4ae044e8a465dec22043c49f6ab3645.jpg