Holsters

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
Hey all, FNG here. Looks like I'm finally going to get around to getting a CHL. Haven't decided on what to use as a carry weapon when I feel so inclined, but was wondering if there were any better brand / style holsters that worked well for comfort for a long day, and anything to stay away from?

If different style / size weapons work better with different holsters, I'd like to hear feedback from your experience. Who knows, if I find a holster I really like, I just may have to go buy a pistol that fits it. You probably know how that goes.

A_FIVE-O

Apr 6, 2009
Houston-Laredo
Its going to depend on the size of the gun you decide to carry. I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Comp-Tac IWB holster or in a Galco Ankle Holster. I'll never carry that configuration with my Glock 22. So the question is what gun are you going to buy or use?

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Rockport
The gun, holster, and please spend the money on a gun belt (cheap walmart belts won't hold up) all make a difference... I would definately recommend a holster designed for whatever you are going to carry. I don't care much for the nylon generic fits, I would also recommend something with a reinforced mouth to make reholstering easy and one handed. hope this helps and welcome aboard

navyguy

TGT Addict
Oct 22, 2008
DFW Keller
What TxEMT said is a common mistake people new to carrying make. Me included. Just because a belt from WalMart is 1 1/2" and looks sturdy, they are not. Belts made for guns are double thickness and stiff.

You might ask memeber Shorts. She does holsters.

hk boy

Mar 4, 2009
Fort Worth
F350-6
the size of gun matters
but also your size matters....
are you thin? tall? got love handles? etc......
you get the picture

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
Thanks for the welcome and info so far. I'm not really sure about the IWB holsters. Just seem like they'd be uncomfortable. But at the same time, tucking a pistol in your waistband isn't too bad. I was wanting to hear more feedback about these. Adding a holster looks like it would just increase the bulge, but I guess a lot of that has to do with the size of the weapon.

I've seen several of the holsters similar to what DirtyD linked to, but have had no experience with them and don't want to just throw money at something hoping I'd like it. Those don't have the traditional look to them, but I'm guessing they hold the weapon in there pretty well.

What's the general preference as far as nylon or leather, lined or unlined? I like the idea of custom fit. Anyone have good brand names to look at, or names of Chinese junk to stay away from?

I'm covered in the belt department, so no worries there. As for build, tall and thin, so no curves to hide things in.

As for a carry weapon. I'd prefer something that has ammo readily available at any local store :banghead:. Realistically, I'll probably use a few different ones depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and how I'm dressed. That's the reason for the generic questions. I'm still looking around for things I like the feel of that would fit my needs. I don't really care for the little bitty ones you can't get 4 fingers on.

How many carry in an ankle/boot holster? Do you feel the weapon is accessible enough if you need to get to it? On my frame, that would probably be the easiest place to conceal. Just not sure if it's worth carrying one there.

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
I rarley carry OWB anymore, it is just so much easier to carry IWB. As far as comfort goes, after a few days of experiminting to find the "sweet spot" on your hip its all gravy... just be aware you MAY have to buy new pants depending on how you like your clothes to fit. As far as the hybrid type holster that I have, I like it because the leather back conforms to your body and the kydex front providesf or secure carry and easy one handed reholstering. An added bonus is that I can order another kydex outer half and easily switch out and carry my 1911 in the same holster. The version I have is also "tuckable" so that you can tuck a shirt in over the holster and with a little blousing it disapears....

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
I keep seeing people reference one handed re-holstering. Is this really that big of a deal? Seems like if you've got to re-holster for any reason, you're kind of past the point of being covert about things.

The only weapons I've ever carried have been the visible type, so this concealed idea is kind of new to me. Figured it would be better to ask questions rather than make a bunch of newbie mistakes. I can think of better things to waste my money on.

Still waiting on Shorts to show up. She does holsters sounds interesting. Does she by chance live in the DFW area? If she makes holsters, it would be nice to go by and see some different options not stuffed in a plastic bag.

I think the girls get off easy on this concealed stuff. My wife will just be able to drop hers in her purse and be done with it.

Top Bottom