• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Hey all, FNG here. Looks like I'm finally going to get around to getting a CHL. Haven't decided on what to use as a carry weapon when I feel so inclined, but was wondering if there were any better brand / style holsters that worked well for comfort for a long day, and anything to stay away from?

If different style / size weapons work better with different holsters, I'd like to hear feedback from your experience. Who knows, if I find a holster I really like, I just may have to go buy a pistol that fits it. You probably know how that goes.
    Venture Surplus ad

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Its going to depend on the size of the gun you decide to carry. I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Comp-Tac IWB holster or in a Galco Ankle Holster. I'll never carry that configuration with my Glock 22. So the question is what gun are you going to buy or use?

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    The gun, holster, and please spend the money on a gun belt (cheap walmart belts won't hold up) all make a difference... I would definately recommend a holster designed for whatever you are going to carry. I don't care much for the nylon generic fits, I would also recommend something with a reinforced mouth to make reholstering easy and one handed. hope this helps and welcome aboard

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    What TxEMT said is a common mistake people new to carrying make. Me included. Just because a belt from WalMart is 1 1/2" and looks sturdy, they are not. Belts made for guns are double thickness and stiff.

You might ask memeber Shorts. She does holsters.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    F350-6
    the size of gun matters
    but also your size matters....
    are you thin? tall? got love handles? etc......
    you get the picture

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome and info so far. I'm not really sure about the IWB holsters. Just seem like they'd be uncomfortable. But at the same time, tucking a pistol in your waistband isn't too bad. I was wanting to hear more feedback about these. Adding a holster looks like it would just increase the bulge, but I guess a lot of that has to do with the size of the weapon.

I've seen several of the holsters similar to what DirtyD linked to, but have had no experience with them and don't want to just throw money at something hoping I'd like it. Those don't have the traditional look to them, but I'm guessing they hold the weapon in there pretty well.

What's the general preference as far as nylon or leather, lined or unlined? I like the idea of custom fit. Anyone have good brand names to look at, or names of Chinese junk to stay away from?

I'm covered in the belt department, so no worries there. As for build, tall and thin, so no curves to hide things in.

As for a carry weapon. I'd prefer something that has ammo readily available at any local store :banghead:. Realistically, I'll probably use a few different ones depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and how I'm dressed. That's the reason for the generic questions. I'm still looking around for things I like the feel of that would fit my needs. I don't really care for the little bitty ones you can't get 4 fingers on.

How many carry in an ankle/boot holster? Do you feel the weapon is accessible enough if you need to get to it? On my frame, that would probably be the easiest place to conceal. Just not sure if it's worth carrying one there.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I rarley carry OWB anymore, it is just so much easier to carry IWB. As far as comfort goes, after a few days of experiminting to find the "sweet spot" on your hip its all gravy... just be aware you MAY have to buy new pants depending on how you like your clothes to fit. As far as the hybrid type holster that I have, I like it because the leather back conforms to your body and the kydex front providesf or secure carry and easy one handed reholstering. An added bonus is that I can order another kydex outer half and easily switch out and carry my 1911 in the same holster. The version I have is also "tuckable" so that you can tuck a shirt in over the holster and with a little blousing it disapears....

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I keep seeing people reference one handed re-holstering. Is this really that big of a deal? Seems like if you've got to re-holster for any reason, you're kind of past the point of being covert about things.

The only weapons I've ever carried have been the visible type, so this concealed idea is kind of new to me. Figured it would be better to ask questions rather than make a bunch of newbie mistakes. I can think of better things to waste my money on.

Still waiting on Shorts to show up. She does holsters sounds interesting. Does she by chance live in the DFW area? If she makes holsters, it would be nice to go by and see some different options not stuffed in a plastic bag.

I think the girls get off easy on this concealed stuff. My wife will just be able to drop hers in her purse and be done with it.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I keep seeing people reference one handed re-holstering. Is this really that big of a deal? Seems like if you've got to re-holster for any reason, you're kind of past the point of being covert about things.

I think the girls get off easy on this concealed stuff. My wife will just be able to drop hers in her purse and be done with it.

You may not always have the option of using both hands to reholster, maybe you are transitioning to a back up weapon, plus it is just easier.... as for women carrying in a purse, not recomended, what is the first thing a VCA snatches from a female?

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    You may not always have the option of using both hands to reholster, maybe you are transitioning to a back up weapon, plus it is just easier.... as for women carrying in a purse, not recomended, what is the first thing a VCA snatches from a female?

True I know you'd reholster for a backup weapon but if you get used to counting your shots and dropping your mag one before you're empty it'd be faster to slam a new mag into your semi rather than fish out another back up... that's just a personal opinion though... but then again I only carry the one... just several mags... but I'm only really planning on 3 shots in the case that I do ever have to draw... but they will have eleven other buddies right behind them in that mag alone just in case... and there's 26 more riding along for the fun in my backup pocket... so all I have to throw into the discussion is yes one handed holstering might come in handy... but I would think that you would want to worry less about drawing a backup and rather reloading the one that you already have a steady grip on... just my opinion though

And with all of these Californians relocated to Texas, more specifically Austin we are seeing more and more men carrying them purses so let's not forget that option DirtyD... if F350-6 wants to adorn himself with a nice leather satchel then more power to him...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I try to steer folks away from the ankle holsters. Usually make you walk weird, they tend to slide down and show your gun. But the biggest thing is that many times it is difficult to get to your gun when you need it. All of these are even worse when you are new to carrying. I think you will find that with your build, an IWB holster will be the most comfortable. I carry mine that way and often forget that it is there.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

If I were ever in a situation that I had to reach for a back up (don't really see this being the case), then the primary would be laying on the ground. Why waste precious seconds trying to re-holster an empty weapon?

Good point about the purse. I didn't think of that.

...but if you get used to counting your shots and dropping your mag one before you're empty it'd be faster to slam a new mag into your semi rather than fish out another back up...

I'd tend to agree with this line of thinking.

And with all of these Californians relocated to Texas, more specifically Austin we are seeing more and more men carrying them purses so let's not forget that option DirtyD... if F350-6 wants to adorn himself with a nice leather satchel then more power to him...

Can I have some purty embroidery stitching too?

I try to steer folks away from the ankle holsters. Usually make you walk weird, they tend to slide down and show your gun. But the biggest thing is that many times it is difficult to get to your gun when you need it. All of these are even worse when you are new to carrying. I think you will find that with your build, an IWB holster will be the most comfortable. I carry mine that way and often forget that it is there.

I wear boots so sliding down wouldn't be a concealment issue, but it's always seemed like the last place you'd want a weapon to be. Too hard to get to if you really need it.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport

The only weapons I've ever carried have been the visible type, so this concealed idea is kind of new to me. Figured it would be better to ask questions rather than make a bunch of newbie mistakes. I can think of better things to waste my money on.

Still waiting on Shorts to show up. She does holsters sounds interesting. Does she by chance live in the DFW area? If she makes holsters, it would be nice to go by and see some different options not stuffed in a plastic bag.

Just curious as to what kind of weapons you carried?

As for 1 handed reholstering, your 2nd hand should not have to assist with anything more than maybe holding a shirt up briefly. Its not a matter of concealment at this point but you want to be able to reholster with no interference (ie nylon straps found on nylon holsers or colapsed holster mouths)

and I think Shorts is up the DFW way

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I find OWB so very comfortable that I sometimes forget I'm carrying. You'll find that you often have to dress around the gun you choose to carry.

I often wear a single vent sports coat with jeans, it stylish, pattern often conceals very nicely as it breaks up the outline of any printing and a jacket has extra pockets for pepper spray, extra mag and flashlight.

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    Has anyone tried those pager / cell phone case in the pants leather holsters?
    There was a guy at the Reliant Center 2 weeks ago selling them.
    The go down the front of you pants and the pager / cell pone case is clipped to the holster and you pull up on the case and out from your body which exposes the grip of the handgun you are carrying. He demo’s that this holster can hold a great number of different types of handguns. I tried one and you can sit, squat and wear your shirts tucked in with it.
    Just wanted to know if anyone has tried these?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Just curious as to what kind of weapons you carried?

and I think Shorts is up the DFW way

Either a hi-power 9mm, or a 1911 45 when walking around out in the fields. Not exactly a first choice for a concealed weapon.

Does Shorts make/sell holsters?

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Either a hi-power 9mm, or a 1911 45 when walking around out in the fields. Not exactly a first choice for a concealed weapon.

Does Shorts make/sell holsters?

I've heard of several that conceal easily 1911's...

I've heard Shorts has made them in the past, as for price or if she still does send her a message, she's listed as one of my friends if you click to see my profile

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've heard of several that conceal easily 1911's...

I've heard Shorts has made them in the past, as for price or if she still does send her a message, she's listed as one of my friends if you click to see my profile

Which ever direction you go, and especially if you have several different carry guns, you will undoubtedly end up with a drawer full of holsters. ;) And as long as they all fit a function, that's okay. I've got ones that I use in winter, that are very comfortable but will only work under a coat or heavy sweeter, and a few I use for pocket carry a PM9 or J Frame etc.

As for Shorts, she's still doing holsters, but they just last week got into their new house, and I think she's waiting on her gear to arrive. Nothing like a locally made custom holster.

Top Bottom