• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Since I've never been involved with a hangfire, I have to wonder why he just opened and closed the bolt instead of ejecting the round.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We were always taught 30 seconds for a hang fire before moving on. This falls well within that range.

Since I've never been involved with a hangfire, I have to wonder why he just opened and closed the bolt instead of ejecting the round.

To reset the trigger and try to strike the primer again with the firing pin in case it was a light strike. If it's a hang fire and you eject it, the round will discharge laying on the ground next to you. That won't be fatal, but it may not be pleasant.

Of course the guy in the video didn't look too pleasant either. If he would have just held the rifle for a bit longer, things would have been better for him.

I had 2 golden bear 410's hang fire in a Bond Arms snake slayer I was shooting once. Repeat firing didn't do any good. I was a bit nervous with that little thing and 2 hang fires, but after 2 minutes of nothing but a firm grip, I ejected them both and got rid of all the other rusky junk. I've also had a couple of hang fires on the 5.56 back when I worked for my uncle.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Wow. I wonder what he was shooting. Can you imagine what would have happened if the round had gone off while he had the bolt unlatched? People think slam fire in SKS is fun unless the round goes off before the bolt is in battery. Only had round fail in rimfire, never a centerfire.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    We were always taught 30 seconds for a hang fire before moving on. This falls well within that range.

To reset the trigger and try to strike the primer again with the firing pin in case it was a light strike. If it's a hang fire and you eject it, the round will discharge laying on the ground next to you. That won't be fatal, but it may not be pleasant.

Of course the guy in the video didn't look too pleasant either. If he would have just held the rifle for a bit longer, things would have been better for him.

I had 2 golden bear 410's hang fire in a Bond Arms snake slayer I was shooting once. Repeat firing didn't do any good. I was a bit nervous with that little thing and 2 hang fires, but after 2 minutes of nothing but a firm grip, I ejected them both and got rid of all the other rusky junk. I've also had a couple of hang fires on the 5.56 back when I worked for my uncle.

Thanks for the explanation. Hope I never have to experience this.

And this is just another reason I like TGT. Learn something new almost every day.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    From my experiences and observations, they do happen, but it seems very rarely.
    That's my experience, too, except for one time.

When I was 17 or 18, I loaded 100 rounds of .44 Magnum using 2400 and CCI primers in an attempt to duplicate the classic Keith load. I clearly did something very, very wrong. About 1 out of 4 of those rounds was a hangfire. They weren't long hangfires but there was a very distinct beat between the hammer falling and that M29 going boom. They all left some really crazy powder residue in the bore; it looked like little crystals of amber.

I set the ammo aside because I didn't have a bullet puller at the time. Eventually, I shot it all; it was the best flinch-catching ammo, ever. I've often thought if I could find a way to make a round that always fired one second after the hammer fall, there has to be a market for the stuff for instructors. Unfortunately, I never loaded a batch of ammo like that again so, to this day, I still don't know what I did wrong. I suspect primer contamination on the bench but, given my procedures back then, I don't see how that could have happened.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Commie trash gun and ammo.
    Is that a tricked out m44 ?

I like this one.
    bubba6-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• bubba6-jpg.jpg
      bubba6-jpg.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 420
    Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That's my experience, too, except for one time.

When I was 17 or 18, I loaded 100 rounds of .44 Magnum using 2400 and CCI primers in an attempt to duplicate the classic Keith load. I clearly did something very, very wrong. About 1 out of 4 of those rounds was a hangfire. They weren't long hangfires but there was a very distinct beat between the hammer falling and that M29 going boom. They all left some really crazy powder residue in the bore; it looked like little crystals of amber.

I set the ammo aside because I didn't have a bullet puller at the time. Eventually, I shot it all; it was the best flinch-catching ammo, ever. I've often thought if I could find a way to make a round that always fired one second after the hammer fall, there has to be a market for the stuff for instructors. Unfortunately, I never loaded a batch of ammo like that again so, to this day, I still don't know what I did wrong. I suspect primer contamination on the bench but, given my procedures back then, I don't see how that could have happened.

I have read, but can't confirm, that some old mil-surp ammo if not stored properly did have a tendency to hang-fire. Maybe contamination of the primer, or powders maybe?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Maybe a fake..........but there is always some dumbass who will actually look down the barrel to see what went wrong.

That's actually the reason if I go to a public range, I always ask for the most right hand stall available. Most shooters are right handed, and if a hangfire happens, many of the inexperienced ones will flip the muzzle to their left to look at it and see if there's a jamb or if it's empty. I don't want to be on their left.

Judging by all the holes and impact points I've seen overhead and everywhere except the target area, I assume there are a lot of inexperienced shooters out there. Even some that have the, how the heck did you shoot there, capability.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have some 40s vintage 8mm Mauser ammo from Egypt that I got from SAMCO years ago. (lots of 'squigleys' written as the headstamp)

It was described as OLD and many hang-fires but I bought it anyway.

It was like firing a 'flinch-lock' as the round would discharge about a half second after firing pin strike.

I have over 900 rounds left because I could only tolerate a dozen or so at a time.

One out of every 10 or so don't even fire! (Great fun to keep you guessing)
    Berdan primed but I have a few berdan primer removal tools so I could reload. (someday)

If you are in the Wise County area I could give you a few to 'experiment' with?

Top Bottom