• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I have some 40s vintage 8mm Mauser ammo from Egypt that I got from SAMCO years ago. (lots of 'squigleys' written as the headstamp)

It was described as OLD and many hang-fires but I bought it anyway.

It was like firing a 'flinch-lock' as the round would discharge about a half second after firing pin strike.

I have over 900 rounds left because I could only tolerate a dozen or so at a time.

One out of every 10 or so don't even fire! (Great fun to keep you guessing)
    Berdan primed but I have a few berdan primer removal tools so I could reload. (someday)

If you are in the Wise County area I could give you a few to 'experiment' with?
    It is actually possible to reload Berdan primed ammo?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But is it worth it?
    Primer removal, by various methods, is fiddly. I don't like doing it so I don't reload Berdan brass. Most of it is for surplus calibers that are obtainable on the cheap, anyway. I'm speaking relatively, of course; I know nothing's cheap any more.

However, if you have some precious old rifle handed down by your grandpappy in some obscure chambering where only Berdan brass is available and you want to shoot it occasionally then, certainly, it's entirely worth it.

Suffice it to say, I would never deliberately purchase any firearm for which only Berdan-primed brass was available.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Primer removal, by various methods, is fiddly. I don't like doing it so I don't reload Berdan brass. Most of it is for surplus calibers that are obtainable on the cheap, anyway. I'm speaking relatively, of course; I know nothing's cheap any more.

However, if you have some precious old rifle handed down by your grandpappy in some obscure chambering where only Berdan brass is available and you want to shoot it occasionally then, certainly, it's entirely worth it.

Suffice it to say, I would never deliberately purchase any firearm for which only Berdan-primed brass was available.
    I always kind of figured that Berdan was un-reloadable and only purchased because it is "cheaper". I don't have anything for only Berdan primed, but interesting to know that it is possible....Thanks

BTW......why did the Berdan priming system even come about? Just seems impractical and maybe even more expensive to manufacture than a straight primer pocket

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As far as I know, the Berdan and boxer designs were both invented at roughly the same time in different places. So Berdan "came about" simply because Mr. Berdan had an idea how to accomplish a goal.

Reloadability wasn't an issue. At that time, what we think of as modern cartridges were still a pretty new technology. No one was reloading.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    As far as I know, the Berdan and boxer designs were both invented at roughly the same time in different places. So Berdan "came about" simply because Mr. Berdan had an idea how to accomplish a goal.

Reloadability wasn't an issue. At that time, what we think of as modern cartridges were still a pretty new technology. No one was reloading.

That kind of makes sense but Boxer seems so much more intuitive as opposed to Berdan. Interesting that Berdan is mostly present in Com Bolc calibers......lol....they are not well known for practicality.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Hiram Berdan of New York (used mostly for European cartridges) came up with his version of the primer.

Colonel Edward Mounier Boxer, of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, England (used commonly here in the US) came up with his version of the primer.

Kinda bass akward

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Can’t figure out what gun it is on the original post.
    Looked like a Mosin with a weirdass wire stock that had been SBR'd. Waste of a stamp to me, but if it gets a dude's rocks off more power to him.

to me it looks like a TOZ-106 with the classic underfold stock and the guy sounded like a non english speaker to me, im not convinced they have stamps wherever that video is...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom