• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Thought I heard the cop tell the guy that "I've been doing this for 20 years". Seems in 20 years he would have learned some tact.

Or been super fed up with azzhats by then. Nevertheless, THAT is not allowed to affect the job a LEO does. The great majority that I see are VERY polite, not matter how much grief they get from the azzhat/moron. Those that can't should be fired. I know that I couldn't do it... I have a very low tolerance for azzhattiness.
    Military Camp

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The officer actually told him to leave the property twice, and then the customer really started to argue.
    I consider that a refusal.
    The officer had no authority to tell the person to leave (he sure never cited to one reason that would have given him authority). I would have told this officer to **** off too. Absent other info, that was not a legal detention imho.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    deemus,

I know nothing about Waco...that said, is it one of those drug addled towns?

If so, I hope the Chief sees the video of that ridiculous encounter by one of his guys (ok, eventually many of his guys) harassing a normal citizen to uphold hizzonah's proclamation...especially since garden variety masks are not effective except as covid theatre...
    Waco has it's fair share of gang activity and violent crime

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I can't.
    But would the fact that the store had a "masks must be worn" sign on the door have anything to do with it.
    Still not good enough for a demand from he officer... I know where you are going, but its just not enough.

The right way* would have been ask the owner "hey, if you don't want him in here without a mask, tell him to leave while I am here to witness it" when he walked in and then go from there.

*if you are a mask NAZI...

Ultimately, this is an example of a cops ego taking hold and if you tell someone something wrongly and they call you on it, it isn't the time to dig in your heals. Its the time to humbly backtrack and move on to something important.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The officer had no authority to tell the person to leave (he sure never cited to one reason that would have given him authority). I would have told this officer to **** off too. Absent other info, that was not a legal detention imho.

Thank you.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Not sure on current law, but c 1990, when I went thru this, presence of fire arm increased trespass offense to Class B & in some cases, a Class A misd.

Unless I'm mistaken, that only applies if the person with the firearm is trespassing. If the store had a no guns policy, then his carrying a firearm could constitute trespassing.

But you are correct in that aspect. Carrying of a firearm and trespassing does raise the offence to stiffer penalties than just trespassing alone.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The right way* would have been ask the owner "hey, if you don't want him in here without a mask, tell him to leave while I am here to witness it" when he walked in and then go from there.

Except he was there because of a Karen call on the cashier for not wearing a mask.
    I suspect he is one of the rare cases where a security officer actually passes the MMPI and gets certified as a PO. They tend to carry a lot of that mall cop mentality with them

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Regarding recent thread comments concerning the cop's ability to do something or not do something. IF (capital I capital F) the cop mistakenly thought there was an actual city ordnance (as he claimed) that dictated a mask had to be worn by the customer/public in that situation, then as a city cop, he would have also been empowered to enforce the city law. Obviously, like a 'jay walking' citation, he also would have had the discretion to handle the situation differently (as he undoubtedly should have).

We'll never know if he thought there was an actual law (ordnance) or if he knew he was just making chit up as he went along. As I stated in post #59, if a "proclamation" doesn't carry the force of law, then the Waco Police Department should provide training to their officers so there's no misunderstanding about enforcement policy.

In any event, the officer should have been looking to de-escalate the situation, as others have pointed out. But also (again, as has been pointed out), arguing your case with the cop along side the road (as it were) isn't the best or brightest idea to do, either.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The mask was really not the issue. The issue was a person's (in this case the officer's) attitude. And that type of attitude is not acceptable in law enforcement or anywhere else.

If it was not a mask violation, it could have been almost anything. This person was going to use his authority to bully others.

As far as Waco, crime is not a big problem and it is mostly limited to certain parts of town. But no denying the officer had better things to do.

Most Central Texas LEO's are great guys.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Now that's a screen name I haven't seen for awhile! Where did TXI go?

As I recall, one of the jobs he said he had at one point, was being in charge of security for a corporation that owned shopping malls. Ever since I read that posting from him, that actor who played the mall cop in those movies, always came to mind.

Last edited:

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Unless I'm mistaken, that only applies if the person with the firearm is trespassing. If the store had a no guns policy, then his carrying a firearm could constitute trespassing.

But you are correct in that aspect. Carrying of a firearm and trespassing does raise the offence to stiffer penalties than just trespassing alone.
    Doesn't the store owner or employee have to tell him to leave for it to be trespassing?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Doesn't the store owner or employee have to tell him to leave for it to be trespassing?

Yes, generally the store owner or manager has to tell him to leave. Assuming we're not talking about a 30.06 or 30.07 signage violation, the person has to be asked to depart the premises. His/her refusal to immediately do so, can constitute trespass. In this case, I doubt the store manager asked him to leave since the manager himself apparently wasn't initially wearing a mask and didn't have one on until the cop came in the second time. (In fact, that's why the original Karen put in a call to report the supposed "violation" by the manager).

In practical terms, if someone is making a scene or otherwise causing a disturbance, they can be asked to leave. Usually cops just try to handle it verbally and hopes it calms down and blows over - less work for them. But occasionally the store owner will insist on a written warning (citation) be issued for use in enforcing future trespass violations. Then the cop has to ID the person and make a written record of the trespass warning. If the person ever sets foot on the property again, and is caught, they'll go directly to jail for criminal trespass.

Last edited:

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Crazy how much his story to the supervisor differed from what he did.
    I was in a pretrial hearing for a dui charge ~15 years ago. 3 or 4 statements the officer made on the stand were not correct or false. Some corroborated by video. It got to the point I was turning to my attorney and saying he is lying. My attorney was telling me to calm down. After the hearing he said the officer was probably just reciting a rehearsed statement. I do not know if that was true but that hearing extended my court journey toward a trial that never happened.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yes, generally the store owner or manager has to tell him to leave. Assuming we're not talking about a 30.06 or 30.07 signage violation, the person has to be asked to depart the premises. His refusal to immediately do so, can constitute trespass. In this case, I doubt the store manager asked him to leave since the manager himself apparently wasn't initially wearing a mask and didn't have one on until the cop came in the second time. (In fact, that's why the original Karen put in a call to report the supposed "violation").

If there was a 30-06, or 30-07 signage at the store, I didn't see it in the video.

And my understanding would be the owner or manager would have to by oral or written notice to the customer that they were in violation of carrying a firearm and ask the person to leave, and then if not complying, could be charged with trespassing.

I don't think the officer had the authority to make him leave unless the owner or manager asked the officer to intervene on their behalf.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wish TXI was still here to tell us all how the policeman was just protecting that poor innocent man, and it was for his own good.

Now that's a screen name I haven't seen for awhile! Where did TXI go?

As I recall, one of the jobs he said he had at one point, was being in charge of security for a corporation that owned shopping malls. Ever since I read that posting from him, that actor who played the mall cop in those movies, always came to mind.

Easy to hate on TXI for the way he came across, but 99.9% of the time he did nothing more than post the actual laws as written. Or in this case it would probably be the applicable codes that did or didn’t give the cop any authority or gave the proclamation the power of law or ordinance (or not). The big issue is that people usually didn’t like hearing what the actual laws say.

Regardless of whatever his career was, he knew the laws and codes very well. Or at least where to find the ones that applied to a specific situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom