• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    It’s in the longer vid. Some asshole couldn’t just go to a different store and instead wanted to be an asshole and call a jack boot to step on the owners neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    . Perhaps my view is shaded by my health issues but i have reached the point where as far as I am concerned each and every one of these moronic mask Nazis can die an agonizing death and go straight to Hell.

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    I don’t think there will be any grief. He can’t go after the city or the ordinance in court since he was let go and won’t be able to claim he was harmed.

In fact, I’d be willing to be no one has ever gotten an actual ticket because they want to scare people but never have to risk it being challenged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he wants to claim harm why not sue for hourly rate for the time he was detained?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    First time I've seen anyone "un-arrested" - usually cops are extremely careful with use of and applying that word. At one point he told another officer, put him in the back of my car, he's under arrest.

Then, of course, the sergeant steps in and "advises" issuing him a warning citation. A warning citation for what?..... not following a proclamation? If the guy has a damaged pistol magazine from the cop dropping his fully loaded magazine, he should file a claim for that too.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Regarding recent thread comments concerning the cop's ability to do something or not do something. IF (capital I capital F) the cop mistakenly thought there was an actual city ordnance (as he claimed) that dictated a mask had to be worn by the customer/public in that situation, then as a city cop, he would have also been empowered to enforce the city law. Obviously, like a 'jay walking' citation, he also would have had the discretion to handle the situation differently (as he undoubtedly should have).

We'll never know if he thought there was an actual law (ordnance) or if he knew he was just making chit up as he went along. As I stated in post #59, if a "proclamation" doesn't carry the force of law, then the Waco Police Department should provide training to their officers so there's no misunderstanding about enforcement policy.

In any event, the officer should have been looking to de-escalate the situation, as others have pointed out. But also (again, as has been pointed out), arguing your case with the cop along side the road (as it were) isn't the best or brightest idea to do, either.
    You are correct from what I read. However it illuminates exactly why we as police need to keep up to date on laws and case law so we don't get our butt in a bind.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That was very poorly handled by the officer, he needs some training in de-escalation techniques. He took a situation that could have been handled easily and calmly then through a match on it after pouring fuel everywhere...

But it was the officer, through tone of voice, etc., that escalated the situation. He started that way. So I don't see how training in de-escalation (e.g., calming another person) will help him.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But it was the officer, through tone of voice, etc., that escalated the situation. He started that way. So I don't see how training in de-escalation (e.g., calming another person) will help him.
    De-escalation by the officer requires the officer de-escalate his own emotional state before engaging. Such training would help this officer either interact better with the public or it would alert his department to the fact that he can't be trained to de-escalate. Either result would help.

I remember waiting for the elevator in the lobby at work one day. There was a new security guard on duty, watching while two of the regular guys monitored the metal detectors. I'm standing right in front of the elevator doors, as I always do. That's not a problem because that elevator only went to one floor, a floor with only a few people on it. The chance of meeting someone coming out was close to zero and if I did, it would be a lone co-worker. Looked at another way, there was no way where I was standing would impede a full elevator car from emptying. I would never stand this close while waiting for one of the regular elevators but by standing so close to this one, I was making more room in the crowded, morning-rush-hour lobby.

Apparently, the new guard hadn't figured out any of this. In the week he'd been there, all I'd seen him do was puff out his chest, try to look intimidating, and bark at people who didn't move fast enough through security.

So, I'm standing there, waiting, when I hear a loud "Sir!" That was a little weird, I thought. No one needs to talk that loud in here. "Sir! Step back!" I look around then turn around. The new guard is behind me, hand on revolver, pointing at a spot on the floor about five feet from where I'm standing, where he is apparently trying to order me to stand. "Sir! Step back! You're too close to the elevator doors!"

I turn my head 45 degrees left, lean back on the elevator doors, look at the other two guards (who seem to be aghast at what's going on) and say to them (with, I admit, unnecessary volume) "Hey, guys! Check it out. The new guy actually thinks 'command voice' will work on me! Ain't that a hoot?" Then three things happened at once:
    • I pointed and laughed out loud at the new guy,
    • The new guy drew in a big breath as if he were about to explode and took one step forward, and
    • The elevator behind me dinged, indicating the doors were opening.
    As the doors opened, I took one giant step backward, without looking, into the empty elevator. The regular guards were struggling to contain their laughter. The new guy was looking around like a crazy person since the object of his anger was about to disappear behind the elevator doors and he had no other clear object upon which to exercise his (apparently very precious to him) imagined authority.

The new guy didn't last another week. I asked one of the regular guys about him and they just said "He didn't have the right attitude, didn't pass FPS review."

tl;dr and to tie this back to the thread - Sometimes even small outfits can identify when a worker has a bad attitude and let them go. I'm always disappointed when police departments are unable to do so.

Top Bottom